Is there a way to spot what kind of throw is being used?

BarkeyForeman

[08] Mercenary
I always assumed getting out of a throw is based on pure guessing and luck.

But I am watching tournament matches and I am amazed how high tournie players can easily get out of random types of throws used at random intervals with complete ease. It seems as though they had a crystal ball telling them what kind of throws will be used.

It seems to me whether you get it right if it is an A or B throw is random tapping. Is there a specific frame you'd have to observe really well to spot if it an A throw or B throw being used? Is there a specific reflex you have to obtain in order to quickly tap one way or the other? I tried pressing both vertical and horizontal simultanouesly in training in an attempt to see if that's the key to consistently avoiding throws but it doesn't seem to work.

Unless it is a command throw such as Ivy's Calamity Symphony you cannot tell which grab it is because the animation is the same.

It all comes down to making the right guess.
It can depend on the situation, will that throw ring out? Would it change your position in the stage? Who does what?

It's all things to think about, other good ways to avoid being thrown include jumping or ducking. You just have to be careful when making your reads and watch them animations.

All throws share an animation with another throw except for Ivy's Calamity Symphony and Voldo's Blind Side 66A+G (looks like a normal throw but the other blind side throws tech step).

Even then you would have a hard time breaking this on reaction before it is too late.

Yeah Ivy will dance around like a food when she does the command grab. When people can't execute it well, it becomes predicable.

Just been practising throw trainings. Is it just me or am I the only one who see cues?

I agree the initial grabbing animation is impossible to tell apart for A and B throws.........

But after just getting out of practise mode against dummy using Raphael set to throw, I notice their are bodily cues and gestures. For example when Raphael does his A throw for a brief moment his legs changes stance. If you're quick enough and press A at this precise moment you can escape it. When he does his B throws, in addition to grabbing you his arm movements reaches deeper as he begins thrusting at you. You can tell a B throw by his arm gestures and if pressed precisely as soon as you see his arms move this way you can escape it.

Am I the only one who can escape after the opponent grabs you and is in the middle of initiating a specific throw or is my copy of SC2 bugged? Because I can se specific bodily movements that indicate he will do A or B and I am able to escape if I press at the right moment upon seeing these body movements after the opponent's hand touches you.

Or is Raphael a special case? I admit I haven't sparred much in a while so other characters may not have gestures. For example Taki's throws look the same and by the time bodily gestures comes, you can't escape (not sure I will test it out but for now Taki is one such example of a character who you cannot tell the throw and escape in time by observing animation).

Also bear in mind I am basing my observation on Soul Calibur 2, it may be different for other games.

Honestly, I Mash A. I thought the animations look different like in tekken where you can distinguish from what hamd is gomna grab you (Left or Right hand)

Just been practising throw trainings. Is it just me or am I the only one who see cues?

I agree the initial grabbing animation is impossible to tell apart for A and B throws.........

But after just getting out of practise mode against dummy using Raphael set to throw, I notice their are bodily cues and gestures. For example when Raphael does his A throw for a brief moment his legs changes stance. If you're quick enough and press A at this precise moment you can escape it. When he does his B throws, in addition to grabbing you his arm movements reaches deeper as he begins thrusting at you. You can tell a B throw by his arm gestures and if pressed precisely as soon as you see his arms move this way you can escape it.

Am I the only one who can escape after the opponent grabs you and is in the middle of initiating a specific throw or is my copy of SC2 bugged? Because I can se specific bodily movements that indicate he will do A or B and I am able to escape if I press at the right moment upon seeing these body movements after the opponent's hand touches you.

Or is Raphael a special case? I admit I haven't sparred much in a while so other characters may not have gestures. For example Taki's throws look the same and by the time bodily gestures comes, you can't escape (not sure I will test it out but for now Taki is one such example of a character who you cannot tell the throw and escape in time by observing animation).

Also bear in mind I am basing my observation on Soul Calibur 2, it may be different for other games.
I've noticed that but that the time recognizing what grab it is and breaking it between the time you just isn't viable.

The only way of knowing what grab to break is predicting, RO/Wall/wake-up near one (Like when your near a edge/wall and your opponent can grab you out may make your opponent attempt to fake you out or just get the RO/Wall splat/wake near one), pattern (How many times has he _+G me) which is over ruled by knowledge and for some characters horrible grab vs good grab (Like Natsu and Pyrrha Omega) which is may over rule everything else but RO/Wall/good wake-up depending on the player.

Hope this helps.

Back