Looking for first car..

Omnis_Evrae

[08] Mercenary
I feel like if i pay too low, it's just gonna bite me in the ass when all the problems pop up. Paying too high is gonna bite it up front though. Just a small, decent, used car with good mpg is all im looking for.. what price range should i shoot for? And when should my "rip off alarm" go off?

First of all, this is probably a personal question but, do you have good credit?
Cause if so, you might as well go with a new car.
Sedans now a days, from really good makers, are actually pretty cheap brand new and save you a TON of gas.
I did A LOT of research before I decided to buy my Mazda3 4 door and I absolutely LOVE IT!
It gets 32 miles, I believe, to the galon and I got mine brand new, since I have good credit.

When I was car shopping I was thinking about getting a used car as well...but then I figured that with a used car, I could probably spend a bundle on repairs if the previous owner did not take good care of it, so I didn't take any chances.

The popular sedans are of course the Toyota Corollas/Camry and the Honda Civic/Accord. Pretty good gas mileage on both, big and cozy, and are pretty flashy on their own.
Now if you're looking for something a lil bit more "masculine" but still gives you more miles to the galon, then I PERSONALLY suggest the Mazda6.
Kia and Saturn make really good sedan cars as well that have pretty good mileage.
So my advice is to definitely do your research, compare cars from each maker and visit your closest car dealer and take it for a spin and see if it's the right car for YOU.

I personally wouldn't suggest on investing on a used car...but 'ey, I know times are tough right now so get what you can get. Just be sure to ask for that CarFax report and get it on the early 2000's.

If you're getting used, you have two choices:
1) Nissan 240sx, doesn't matter what mileage they last forever.
2) Toyota Supra.

And they better be manual.

Sounds like what your looking for is a late 90s honda civic/toyota corrolla. The 3-5k range could get you a nice first car. They're the most dependable used cars you can get and are also easy to maintain and last forever if you treat em right. Also if you need to check the value of a car you're looking at you should check out KBB.com

I feel like if i pay too low, it's just gonna bite me in the ass when all the problems pop up. Paying too high is gonna bite it up front though. Just a small, decent, used car with good mpg is all im looking for.. what price range should i shoot for? And when should my "rip off alarm" go off?

Well your kinda starting backwards. First you gotta figure out what your budget is and tailor it to what you want or what you NEED.

NDK has it about right I think. Cept Id shoot for late 90's to early 2000's year wise, and nothing more than 75,000 miles on it.

Now Tag had some good points as well. A new car is usually the better way to go. Not only do you have a brand new car, but you also have a WARRANTY on it as well. Which in some cases can prove to be priceless. The only problem Tag has (and prolly just didnt know) the Saturn's are no longer being made as of 2 years ago. So all saturn dealerships are gone. I think id stay away from kia's as well tho.

Id be interested to know what your budget is and what your intent with the car is. Rather that be driving to and from school, work or whatever. How far is it to work or school.

Ive been in the automotive business for 20+ years, so I know what Im talkin bout. Lemme know then I can help you

HRD

I've got a few ideas. How about...

Koenigsegg Agera
Gumpert Apollo S
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport

...Okay, that top part wasn't exactly meant to be serious, but for a more realistic answer, if you want used, I might recommend a '94 Celica if that suits your boat.

Back