[Mar 23, 2012] MLG Winter Championship (MK9, SCV, KOFXIII) (Columbus, OH)

MLGDeimos

[09] Warrior
fightinggames-54.jpg

2012 Winter Championship!

This tournament is open to everybody! The Player who wins the Championship Bracket will be crowned the 2012 Winter Champion.

Passes are now available for Mortal Kombat 9, Soul Calibur V, and King of Fighters XIII. You may play in all Fighting Game tournaments if you wish. To purchase your pass(es), go HERE.

A pass for any game on its own is $50 ($40 with the Gold Member discount)
A pass for any two games is $70 ($60 with the Gold discount)
A pass for all three games is $90 ($80 with the Gold discount)
You may play in all Fighting Game tournaments if you wish. To purchase your pass(es), go HERE.

Spectator Passes for MLG Columbus are now available for purchase in the MLG Store

The MLG Columbus event will take place March 23-25

As always, please feel free to ask any questions regarding the event, and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. Please keep in mind that there are still details to be released, so if the information is not below, it's likely not available yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Venue:
Venue/Tournament Location: Greater Columbus Convention Center: 400 N. High Street; Columbus, OH 43215
Hotel Locations:
Westin Columbus
  • Reservations: 614-228-3800
  • Hotel Rate: 129 + $16.75 tax s/d
  • Reservation deadline: March 9, 2012
  • Distance to venue: 7 blocks
  • Parking: $20 per night
Red Roof Columbus Downtown
  • Reservations: 800-733-7663
  • Hotel Rate: $115+ 16.75% tax s/d/t/q for 2 beds
  • Reservation deadline: March 9, 2012
  • Distance to venue: 1 block
Residence Inn Columbus Downtown
  • Reservations: 800-331-3131
  • Hotel Rate: $139+ 16.75% tax s/d/t/q
  • Reservation deadline: March 7, 2012
  • Distance to venue: 4 blocks
Sheraton On Capitol Square (formally Hyatt)
  • Reservations: 800-331-3131
  • Hotel Rate: $139+ 16.75% tax s/d/t/q
  • Reservation deadline: March 7, 2012
  • Distance to venue: 4 blocks
It is not mandatory to stay in these hotels. If you'd like to do a price comparison to find the cheapest hotel, I would suggest to use Google Search, using the address of the Greater Columbus Convention Centerwhich is 400 N. High Street; Columbus, OH 43215 to find the hotels closest to the venue.
Transportation:
Transportation:

Airport:
  • Port of Columbus Airport (CMH)
Transportation Cost from Airport:
  • ARCH TRANSPORTATION (614-252-2277) runs 7am-midnight daily. Airport: $17.00 per person each way. Individual pickup times can be scheduled by calling them directly, reservations recommended.
  • Cab fare is $20-25 each way.
Rules
Prizes
$33,400 is on the line for Mortal Kombat 9 at the Winter Championship.
1st Place: $12,000
2nd Place: $7,200
3rd Place: $4,800
4th Place: $3,200
5th/6th Place: $2,000
7th/8th Place: $1,100

$16,700 is on the line for Soul Calibur V and King of Fighters XIII at the Winter Championship.
1st = $6,000
2nd = $3,600
3rd = $2,400
4th = $1,600
5th/6th = $1,000
7th/8th = $550
Schedule
You can compete in all three games

Mortal Kombat 9 Schedule
Soul Calibur V Schedule
King of Fighters XIII Schedule

*All times are subject to change based upon the number of registered Players/Teams.

How come the loser is allowed to select a specific stage instead of using random stage select throughout the tournament? Stage selection has more of an impact on a match in SC than these 2D games where it makes little to no difference outside of lag/glitches.

Also there is a supposed patch coming out on March 21st... I would think that with that being so close to this event that we would want to play on the 1.01 patched version and not the new patched version yes?

Not sure of anyone has brought this up to MLG staff yet.

- I.C.E.

How come the loser is allowed to select a specific stage instead of using random stage select throughout the tournament? Stage selection has more of an impact on a match in SC than these 2D games where it makes little to no difference outside of lag/glitches.
It's new to SCV, but it's arguable that the map choice effects SC2 to a much greater degree than SCV. Some maps in SC2 favor races drastically different. It will have more of an impact, but as a fan of both SCV and SC2, I think it should be fine.

I'm not sure about the patch. SC2 generally uses the latest patch instantly, but other games that have been at MLG before have not. SC2 needs to be played online so maybe that's why. I would assume the patch would not be used. It's worth bringing attention to.

Edit: https://twitter.com/#!/MrMLGAdam/status/180288517753159681

I think it's wrong to compare SCV to Starcraft since they're completely different games. What works for one game may not work well for another, but allowing the loser to also have the ability to select the stage gives them more of an advantage than they would normally have when they're also able to counterpick.

That rule should be revisited. Essentially you're punishing the winner for winning.

It gives them more of an advantage, but the better player should still win regardless of the stage. I find map picking in SC2, and stage picking in SCV to be somewhat similar. Certain characters favor certain stages, and certain races favor certain maps, but if you are the best, you should be able to handle whatever your opponent throws at you. It's not necessarily about "oh, this person randomly got two favorable stages". They are two separate games but I think it will work fine here. I'm not as experienced as you guys in SoulCalibur, but it shouldn't have that big of an effect.

Also, all the PS3's were patched last week so they won't have the new patch.
Source: https://twitter.com/#!/Killa_KC/status/180298082322358272

I cannot possibly express how happy I am to see stage selection implemented in the rules. Whether or not they are doing it in the best way, I think forcing random stages in a game where stages matter SO MUCH is terrible.

Guys, remember if you have any concerns @nycfurby on twitter is the best way to get at me. Also commentator will be announced really soon. Since I obviously don't play SC5 he's going to be the pointman for you guys but ill be watching in case anything comes up or any concerns.

Anything that really matters shouldn't have to be random. Aside from the first match, which kind of has to be selected randomly.

Korea has been doing this for years with Tekken.

If you missed purchasing your player pass online, you can purchase your player pass at the door (first come first serve, once passes are sold out they are gone) (please make sure to have cash with you to pay for the pass and a MLG Username) between these hours:

MK9: Friday 10:30 AM to 10 PM and Saturday 8 AM to 2 PM
SCV: Friday 10:30 AM to 10 PM
KOF XIII: Friday 10:30 AM to 4 PM

I'm so looking forward to this event! I'll be arriving Thursday morning at 9:00AM. Is anybody getting in around this time? We should hang out and talk about life and Calibur.

Nice, Wing. You wouldn't be trying to get a feel of what I've got planned for you eh, should we meet in the tourney? I'm not trying to spoil your surprise brother. I am just looking to hang out.

Thanks for posting the full roster, Deimos. Wow, look at all those killers. MLG definitely has the cream of the crop right here minus a few people from Cali. It's a good thing I've been practicing A LOT. It's a shame to hear about Kayane not being able to make it though. That would've been great.

Back