Matchup Discussion: Leixia VS. Yoshimitsu

I can't find any info on him in the forums, so I assume it's just me having problems with Yoshi. That floating 8B+K stance is murder. My reflexes aren't sharp enough to differentiate the low K and mid B. Then you add in that absurdly fast unblockable attack from the super float. So far the only thing I've come up with is throwing out random 44B's or out-pressuring him. Any ideas?

I don't know if all Yoshi's play like this, but I fought a Yoshi who backed up right away when the match started and poked me using teleport - ankle slash.

To fight him I used 66K a lot to close the gap. I find that 33_99BB works well for hitting him out of his meditating stance to dodge kicks and hit for some good damage.

Don't know if this will help you but if your problem is reaction, then one of the better solutions is to go ahead and train your reflexes against that move in training.

The teleport has a 1 million frame start up, ALL of which can be countered by 44B. What irks me is the helicopter stance, which Yoshis frequently enter after knockdown. In all fairness, Leixia's probably more of an okizeme whore with 33BB, 22K, and 22kA.

<- Plays Yoshimitsu. Doesn't play Leixia.

Helicopter (Dragonfly) stance has these options:
- A version is a GB that hits behind him and has really good range, but can be ducked. Generally, Yoshimitsu's won't use this much
- B is the down slice. On CH you'll get comboed for at least 80 damage. Don't duck
- K is the spinning trip. If you get tripped, you're eating another decent damage combo
- Throw. Yoshimitsu will do his old throws with a bit of a damage buff
- Empty

Crouch block initially and try to react to the B version. You can tell the B version because he'll slightly fly up before coming down with the sword.

For teleports - it seems Yoshimitsu got shafted... again... since, unlike Natsu, I don't think there is actually any frame where he isn't immediately hittable. When you see him spin most characters can just BB all the options away. Or back step as he spins. Or use the jump guard option select. It's really that bad. :\

I think you can 6kk, 66k, or AA yoshi right out of dragonfly stance, since his options out there aren't that quick. I might be wrong, since I haven't tested it as thoroughly as I wanted yet.

It's really the yoshi okizeme shenanigans that I personally need help on the most, if anybody has tips

Fuzzy guard neutralizes ALL of Yoshi's stance high-low mixups. The rest is just applying pressure, and Leixia can do that better than Yoshi.

Second hit of Yoshi's 3A B can be aGI'd with 4A+B on block.

Second hit of 6K K can be stepped or WR B'd, but watch out for them to only do 1 hit.

Second hit of 66B+K, A+B, K can be ducked and stepped.

I've been having some success JGing yoshi's sdgf B on reaction by sliding my thumb across G the moment his sword catches on fire. I think you get punish with 3B afterwards. Anyway this way you don't have to worry about his SDGF A_B mixup.

In retrospect I was relying on fuzzy guard against Yoshi way too heavily. Haven't fought many Yoshis post patch so don't know what it's like now.

JGing Yoshimitsu's SDGF B isn't really that big of a deal. I'm pretty sure you'd be *much* better off just stepping it so... why JG? Same thing with SDGF A - just back step. The animations aren't too tricky to react to since B is so fast and A is so slow.

Yoshimitsu still has quite a few options from SDGF once you figure out A and B......

Why you teleport so much? Especially at the start of a match. MED A is crap post-patch. :\

Edit: Hi, I haven't had my coffee. Landonio was not the Yoshimitsu and I'm sure most people figured that out immediately.....

Anyway, let him teleport at the start of the match if the nitwit wants to. Ankle slash is horrible and easy peasey for Leixia to punish. His other options from teleport are the kangaroo kick (high whiff potential, crap recovery) and the GB downslash which is easy to step. From MED alone he had the chance to footclap you a few times but it seems he didn't know how to do that...... don't rush in with slow verticals when Yoshimitsu is sitting down.

44B (I think? That's what it used to be....) is great against Yoshimitsu since he has relatively terrible range and is very slow in chasing you down.

Tricks against Door Knocker (6B+K, B, B, B):

Block first hit straight into 6KK for a tech crouching punish.

JG first hit straight into CH1A for a BIG combo.
(Using 3B instead of 1A here can be useful because 3B can usually punish anything else that Yoshi does instead of 6B+K. In other words, you don't have to confirm the move he's using if you're just JG'ing based on relative attack timing rather than prediction.)

After blocking the first three hits, the final hit can be easily JG'd for a free 3B punish

After blocking the first or first and second hits, duck and use FC3B at the same time as the fourth attack would hit for a free 6A+B followup for 59 damage.

Versus Yoshi's CE:

If standing still or guarding, mash 9K during the pre-animation for an instantaneous punish. This is useful if Yoshi goes for a Guard Crush using his CE. Otherwise, simply block and use FC3B, 6A+B_CE for 54 and 84 damage, respectively.

Back