Mitsu General Discussion / Q&A

I need some general help with Mitsurugi

He is my favorite character and I would like to know a great combo string to use. When I play as Mits I usually strive for speed and the opponent not being able to hit me due to my constant movement... there is just one problem; I only know a handful of combos.

I have searched through the entire movelist and tried creating my own combo strings but I can't seem to be able to do it, so some help would be wonderful :)

I really just need to know the "when-tos" and the "how-tos"
This is also my first post :) I have lurked around for awhile now and just now decided to join.

For Mitsurugi combos, search in this thread
http://www.8wayrun.com/f33/mitsu-combos-t149/
it's the mitsurugi combo thread.

And here's the best part, SCIV pretty much had a Mitsurugi guru and has made the community a lot of shit to share. This is all from Belial.

Belial's Wall Combo Video:

Belial's Skill Project:

You can find more of Belials video's on his youtube page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BelialRus

Anything else, just look around the Mitsurugi thread and search up anything you're curious about.

For application, it depends, are you playing online or offline? Also, I notice you're from Arkansas, I'm pretty sure they have an Arkansas thread with like...1 dedicated poster in it - you should go keep that person company.

For Mitsurugi combos, search in this thread
http://www.8wayrun.com/f33/mitsu-combos-t149/
it's the mitsurugi combo thread.

And here's the best part, SCIV pretty much had a Mitsurugi guru and has made the community a lot of shit to share. This is all from Belial.

Belial's Wall Combo Video:

Belial's Skill Project:

You can find more of Belials video's on his youtube page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BelialRus

Anything else, just look around the Mitsurugi thread and search up anything you're curious about.
Well that pretty much covers it. Hehe, thanks.

At what times would you use 22K and not 6K? I know 6K is better for punishment but when you're just trying to use them in any other way whens a good time to use 22K as apposed to 6K or vice versa?

I find it hard to opt for one over the other since 6K is faster, but 22K is much better on block.

22_88K as a gimick only, probably. I only use 6K if I need wallsplat/RO, other than that I hardly use it at all. I prefer to deal with step via spacing not horizontal moves

Overall 88_22K is not worth using imo

It says it right in the frame data for mitsu

"i4-i13"

Although I suspect that might not be the EXACT active frames of the GI.. if it isn't it still gives you a good estimate.

I have a few basic questions:

After RLK [A] what determines whether MIST B B hits them when grounded when they are not near a wall?
After MIST B B launches I can sometimes get BT B+K while they are still in the air, is this simply because they are air controlling?
Is there a point to 22_88 B+K? I'm guessing it may have been intended to mix up with 6B to negate the disadvantage on block which, for me, makes this a useless move
When can I be sure 2KB vs grounded opponents will hit if they tech and why does it sometimes wiff?
When does 22A create a stun specifically? I know it is an obvious side step wiff punisher but how late can it still produce a stun? Is it only during the recovery frames? Can it stun after a wiffed GI? What about if I duck a high? Or buffered during a Ukemi to punish an attempted tech trap? This last idea was from a friend of mine, I had never considered it before but it works well.

Belial: In your 2011 skill project you showed that after 66A+B you can jump over them and perform a back grab if they tech either side. I am interested in this specifically as I have found 66A+B 33B can be side teched and I am wondering if this could be used to train for the set up. Is just a random thought.

I am also curious as to the properties of moves vs grounded opponents. I have only come across the idea of ground stun and wake-up advantage on the topics of specific moves or strategies. I believe a simple example would be Yoshi's 2K 9B+K. I have heard Belial talk in passing somewhere about MIST K creating a ground stun, making 66A+B a force block, and I have observed him use RLK [K] on grounded opponents to create advantage on wake up. I am not sure that any of this is correct but I am interested in finding out about why and how the properties of moves change vs grounded opponents, which of the moves in the game are useful in this way and the best way this tactic can be put to use, specifically with Mitsurugi.
I have been experimenting a little with my friend regarding force guard situations, for instance after a side grab, back grab and MIST B+G give you 66A+B unless they roll left and after 33B tip range its a force block, can't be rolled and is a tech trap if they Ukemi right. If this is all basic and I have just missed it I apologize.

There are 3 factors - 1 - character size/hitbox, on lizardman afaik its not possible to combo MST 6B>B unless near the wall. On Astaroth its hard but possible. 2) Angle of hit, if RLC A hits their back you can usually connect mst 6BB(non delayed version) for max damage. 3) Range at which RLC A hits. The closer it hits, the easier 6B>B followup is. However on tip range hit, 1A is guaranteed and becomes a tech trap (on closer ranges its possible to techroll guard it)

MST BB launches B+K is not guaranteed on air controlling opponent.

There is no point to use 22_88B+K, this move is slow and undamaging.

2KB vs grounded opponents, if they stay on the ground, first hit (2K) is around +1~+2 on hit. if they tech (i.e. hold guard) after being hit by 2K then B will hit them, remember its unsafe on hit (-15) so some characters can punish you badly. However if they dont tech and just get up with guard they can block the secon hit.

22A creates stun as long as you hit them during recovery frames (i.e. when they wiff a move). It cannot stun after a GI. Any other examples apply. It doesnt matter if you sidestep or not. Example : Astaroth 66K hit, 3B (charging), you roll once, get up, buffer 22A. = 3B wiffs, you get a stun.

66A+B -> 33B can be side teched by some characters like Cassandra. I dont think 9G setup is useful here, if they tech, use 1A instead of 33B.

I dont know if there is general rule, you have to figure it out yourself. So far I think it merely adds up in advantage. 66A+B is only force block after 1A combo enders (RLC B,1A) but they can still GI it. After 66A+B combo enders they cant GI but can roll it. Also if they roll back they can guard 66A+B during the roll (lol), so another decent setup here is MST A its a fake force guard. Do not abuse.
k:B 22B is a force block mix it up with MST - allows for uninterruptible mst throw/6B mixup if they get up/tech.
11K on grounded RLC B is a force block, Full dash RLC K is almost uninterruptible, unless they roll left. In this case, RLC A+Blvl2 is uninterruptible. (i.e. you BT 2K, 11K =combo, they - roll left, get up (to block dash in RLC B), you charge UB. ??? . Profit)
After 3B 44AA , 33A is almost uninterruptible, and double mst dash (6B+K,66) can evade ws B's of some characters here. For example in Mitsu mirror it will evade WS B, FC 1B so its basically a free mixup unless they know about it.
MST mixups otg can generally be rolled. I dont remember details right now, check it out yourself. I think if they roll left(?) and get up ducking they can block both parts of the mixup.

Overall, I think the answer to ground game is in my videos. Just use MST, RLC , 66A+B, 11K and whatever you want to make them get up.

Thanks for your insight Belial, I appreciate that you took the time for such a detailed explanation. The examples have inspired me to test and look out for these tricks with all of the characters in the cast. I have watched many of your videos and owe most of my Mitsurugi knowledge to you,as Im sure many do, so thank you for this too and I look forward to re-watching many of them with my new understanding of advanced wake-up.

I have some other questions but many of them I am finding difficult to word as they have to do with so many things from advanced mix ups, ways of keeping on-going mind games and other more general stuff that I feel I do not fully understand. I will enjoy working on this new part to my game for now and think harder about it, although it may end up being a thread so I can state first my level of understanding and start to rebuild with a fresher style and mind set.

I wondered why you never used 22_88A considering how step happy you are dude. =P
I'll have to think before I throw out B6 now.

What is Mitsu's best combo off of 2KB on a BT opponent ? Like against Voldo's BS stance? is it 4KB?

What do you guys think is the benefit of doing 22_88B over 22_88A for wiff punishing? Doesn't 22_A yield better damage, RO and step catch? Is it just because 22_88A only combos on CH?

Back