Move Spamming?

Right now...I feel like you're saying that to one of those "stupid people" cuz it's seems like I've been pretty annoying in this thread...LOL! Maybe I've just felt argumentative lately. Sorry. I love the game and thats what matters.

Right now...I feel like you're saying that to one of those "stupid people" cuz it's seems like I've been pretty annoying in this thread...LOL! Maybe I've just felt argumentative lately. Sorry. I love the game and thats what matters.
Growing a self confidence is also a good way to go about life :)
I'll keep the annoying title.
Gimmedat.
*yoink*

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You're not supposed to change your offense until your opponent changes their defense.

When people tell me "stop doing the same attack", I tell them "stop blocking my attacks with your face" and then block them so they can't say something back. That really makes their day. :)

My pet hate is players who run at you with every knockdown then mid/low attack/grab, honestly its like the modern day equivilent of rock/scissors/paper:

I know exactly what you're talking about because I've played both sides of that coin. Although did you know there are rock-paper-scissor tournaments? Yet "miraculously" the best players consistently finish at the top. The problem is we often don't appreciate depth in simplicity when we see it. For this reason, we stupidly make a game of checkers into chess; not just in SC but in life. One of my favorite Japanese proverbs elucidates the many truths of this phenomena:

You limit things so you can explore the universe of them more thoroughly.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying those who repeat "3 or 4 moves" are the best SC players. But I believe Player A can be better than Player B, despite both using the same "3 or 4 moves." Personally, this was most obvious among certain Astaroth players I've faced. After all spacing, timing, speed (opponent familiarity too) -- are also knowingly part of the game. Yet, in a community (seemingly) originated from tournaments players, we collectively talk about the moves and combos 1000x more.

However, most of us will never be half of what Kayane/<insert other tournament winner here> is. More importantly, there's nothing wrong with being "limited" as a average, mediocre or even a bad player. Keep in mind, everyone definition of "skilled," like spam, is different too. And if online win/loss track records (unrelated to tournament play, I know) never existed, I seriously doubt this topic would be discussed as much it is today.

Who played online with their Dreamcast ten years ago? Now, among those, raise your hand if you played NFL2k1/NFL2k2 online. (Unlikely any, I know.) NFL 2k1 was the first console online football game. I played hundreds, if not thousands, of games -- and disconnections were beautifully an afterthought. Then in 2001, NFL 2k2 was released, the first online football game with record tracking. Guess what happened.

Not only did disconnection rates shoot through the rafters, but people began talking about "spamming " (their words, not mine) out/slant patterns! Understand this was a discussion that DIDN'T EXIST in that community a year before . (out/slant patterns were actually more effective in 2000 than 2001 too) Today, this phenomena has evolved into a disdainful subculture. It is also like a cuss word we overuse, from which point our vocabulary suffers (look at post #60).

But I have faith. We should write the moderators of this forum to ban the word spam! (I like this topic though) Let's see how productive a discussion can be if we got rid of the word. Together all mediocre, average and tournament players can unite. Together, we'll form our own counter-culture!

Ban the SPAM~!

Mnnnn. Tasty spam.

I totally don't see a problem with kicking someone out of your room because you're kicking their ass and bored. Sure, it's a useful timing exercise, but if they don't seem to be trying to learn, and you don't have anything to learn from them, it's probably time to move on.

If someone's beating you in a boring way...well, you can probably learn a lot from them. Sure, you might want to move on if you get frustrated (though some time in the lab might help), but try to change things up and figure out what they're doing first. Personally, I usually -try- to keep doing the same thing over and over if it looks like my opponent isn't able to deal with it. Sure, some of this is not minding the easy win. But most of it is that as long as I'm getting the easy win, I might as well give them a learning experience while we're at it -- it's a lot easier to learn something useful when the opponent does something over and over again, and you get to practice trying to beat it, than if they kick your ass 20 different ways and you don't get a chance to come up with an answer to any of them.

Note the lack of the word "spam" in the last two paragraphs. "spam" doesn't mean anything, and exists just to shame people using moves you can't beat, just like "slut" doesn't mean anything and exists just to shame people who happen to enjoy sex.

The point of the game is to defeat your opponent.
Those who are beaten and pursue the wrong mindset often feel anger, frustration and a need to explain how it wasn't their fault that they lost.
The right mindset? C'mon I'll kick your ass one day. Let's keep going.

What I see is that the problem of "spamming" comes from the fact that there are many casual players in this highly competitive game (and community). I think the intent was that the online rooms have the "playstyle" option to somewhat alleviate this problem. As in, in the "Serious Business" or "Beginner's only" rooms, you should be prepared to get spammed, and don't complain about it. But I do know some people who play the game just to "look cool", have cool looking matches, etc, i.e. basically not for competition. I think that's what the "Casual Games" rooms are for. But alas, people just barge into rooms with their expectations held high, without reading room names, let alone room playstyles.

By the way I second the motion that the word "spam" should be banned.

lol room playstyles. just because someone can slap a serious business tag on a room doesnt mean its gonna be a high quality opponent. i went into a room last night with a serious business tag and a experienced only tag to boot, i proceeded to beat the first two people by using moves with frame advantage on hit over and over and over. literally winning rounds by doing 10 3KKs in a row.

Abusing a move online to win (in my honest opinion) is perfectly fine. Just don't get into the habit of doing it. If you find that a particular opponent can't deal with a certain move correctly, by all means keep using it. It's their own fault that they aren't able to properly block or step it. And it also serves as a teaching tool for them, where they tell themselves:

"Okay, I'm getting blown up by this dude's 6B combo. What am I gonna do to fix this?"

This doesn't mean it works against everyone, however. It's all about finding an opponent's weakness and exploiting it. If they continually get pummeled by it, it's their own damn fault. Simple as that. Don't feel bad about it, but don't abuse it either... Unless your playing against the AI. Exploiting cracks in the game's AI is a perfectly viable way to, erm... Unlock Algol.

If they send hatemail because of it, just reply with a simple "k" or don't respond at all ;)

If it's not a block infinite or other broken element, there's not much to genuninely be mad about to be honest. Everyone has their own style, I prefer to mix things up, but people play in different ways. If someone doesn'y mix it up on me, I find them easier to beat to be honest.

I've also noticed that the general consensus is people will test their opponent, people would do that in MK, where they would simply zone most of the time, unless their opponent gave them a reason to do something else by beating their current tactic, that must be the case in every fighting game's players, really.

There's this person on psn new york lobby that I won't name because I do not mean to slander them but this is a typical nutcase. The bloke keeps ringouting and ground raping with Siegfried but if you don't let him get up and mix him up with lows, he ragequits and calls you a spammer.
You just need to ignore these people.

Back