Namco-Bandai Announces Soulcalibur II HD Online!

• Admin
So there has been a furor during these past few days after it was discovered that Namco-Bandai filed a trademark for "Soulcalibur Lost Swords". Until now, we didn't really know what it meant. Companies file trademarks all the time, often just to cover themselves.

Could Lost Swords be an upgrade to Soulcalibur V? An RPG side-story like Soulcalibur Legends? Or perhaps a free-to-play version of Soulcalibur like Tekken Revolution? Well Namco-Bandai just wrapped up their Comic-can panel... and... nothing. No announcement of Soulcalibur Lost Swords. However, Namco-Bandai has announced an HD version of Soulcalibur II will be coming to PSN and XBL this fall.

1072324_574138609296142_1875514491_o.jpg

The HD release will be from the PS2 version, and include Heihachi and Necrid as guest characters. Link and Spawn will not be featured. Included with the resolution upgrade will be several new modes, including online multiplayer! Masaaki Hoshino is serving as producer for this project, rather than Hisaharu Tago who has been responsible for Soulcalibur V.
I don't need to even talk about how exciting this news is; but let me just say that when it does come out, the 24/7 stream will be moved over to it.

Last edited:
Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
I hope this isnt like that Dark Stalkers release, where Namco uses the sales to justify whether or not they should make a new game or an update to SCV. I dont think they would, after all the sales have been pretty good and consistent, and the tournament scene is fairly active. If anything this is probably just a last minute cash grab before they work on a game for the next gen consoles.
It's fine even if they do do that, since this is going to sell like crazy. There are a huge amount of people nostalgic for SC2. I just hope Namco uses the profits to fund SC6 instead of more Tekken games, lol.

So can anyone explain why sc2 is so highly regarded? Never really played it much and seemed limited.

Guess there's a good chance it'll take over from scv then?

Really fast-paced and fun, intricate movelists, lots of cool modes, and a whole lot of nostalgia. Talim is in it! And Raphael before he got all vampireified, has his sexy dodge moves and whatnot. I just loved the game a lot and the thought of a remake that can go online is crazy awesome to me.

I'll still be playing SCV, though. I'll bounce back and forth.

I'm just going to ask : What exactly does the producer really need to do ? I imagine its just a graphical upgrade + implementation of online capabilities. They're announcing a new guy, but I suspect that he's already pretty much done his work of basically ordering people around.

Will anything else change ? Curious to see if he's going to be the same producer for Sc6

Obviously i'm anticipating this eagerly.

I'm just going to ask : What exactly does the producer really need to do ? I imagine its just a graphical upgrade + implementation of online capabilities. They're announcing a new guy, but I suspect that he's already pretty much done his work of basically ordering people around.

Will anything else change ? Curious to see if he's going to be the same producer for Sc6

Obviously i'm anticipating this eagerly.
Since the xbox version is already 720p, the graphical upgrade is already done for them Kappa, so just implementing online really I assume... here is to hoping we can play Team Battle online.

In the vid the sides of the screen move out (in the Mitsu SD/HD comparison) so they will probably do a full 16:9 aspect ratio (as SCII wasn't).
360 has to emulate Xbox to play the original (and it has slowdown) so some recodin is in order to make it run 360 native.

Why i'm asking this is because i'm reading hoshino's twitter and i'm intrigued by the "latest news of soul calibur" bit. Either it seems like the online/recoding project is so big that he can do a "documentary" of the staff's intense work or that it's so manageable that he has time to constantly update his twitter.

In the vid the sides of the screen move out (in the Mitsu SD/HD comparison) so they will probably do a full 16:9 aspect ratio (as SCII wasn't).
360 has to emulate Xbox to play the original (and it has slowdown) so some recodin is in order to make it run 360 native.
Good point, I forgot about that.

The real question is can I go online with Kilik and the jingu staff? That would be the best thing that could ever happen.

is it known at this point whether the game will only receive graphics boost and additional modes + online, or will there be also balance tweaking?​

Great news (especially from Raph's point of view), as long as they don't forget SCV...

At least I hope they didn't nerf Raph's 6BB canceled by Soul Charge...

Hehe, looks like I'll have to be a dick and pick Heihachi, once I learn the game I'll prolly main Yoshimitsu.

Time to watch some old skool SC2 matches....

AZ

Live streams

27 Viewers
Draethiox
Draethiox
ABSOLUTELY ZERO SLEEP GANG
8 Viewers
N1NJ4_VS
N1NJ4_VS
Ranked (Cass Main) [PC]
2 Viewers
kanskaii