Needs moar fanart

JELLY

[09] Warrior
sup

Well this entire board seems dead so here's some stuff. I've got a dA but I hate it so I'll just post things individually.

This one's an old drawing that I did before SCIV even came out (which means I didnt know the full story, thus characters that are barely related to Sieg are in it) and found it again. I'm trying to fix it up; that's the second one there.

redemptionlinessmall2-1.jpg

battle01.jpg

Critic is welcome-- just not the wall-of-text-I'm-an-artist-I-know-better kind. And yeah it's a sketch, not everything's all lovely and clean... especially Sieg-- I just noticed.

Will post more if there are replies

Very good. Proportions are there and stances feel proper and natural. 2nd one is a definite improvement over the 1st. Throw that in photoshop and finish it. And since it's not fully rendered (it'd be a crime if you left these as is and didn't keep adding...take it as a compliment), your fears of sketchy lines is ok. A lot of unrendered art on high levels looks just likes this before they get to the color and then the final clean up. Keep pushing it, you have some potential with these and your changes over the 1st are a good move.

Very good. Proportions are there and stances feel proper and natural. 2nd one is a definite improvement over the 1st. Throw that in photoshop and finish it. And since it's not fully rendered (it'd be a crime if you left these as is and didn't keep adding...take it as a compliment), your fears of sketchy lines is ok. A lot of unrendered art on high levels looks just likes this before they get to the color and then the final clean up. Keep pushing it, you have some potential with these and your changes over the 1st are a good move.
Oh no... please dont. It looks good right now, you started in pen and ink, please finish with your hands (colored pencils, water color, etc etc) and it will turn out so much better.

Yeah I find lining things traditionally is easier and somewhat faster however when it comes to perfect lines, digitally is the best... when I do it on Photoshop though I find it a far too mechanical... somewhat unnatural. When it comes to colours though, it's either Photoshop or markers, preferably Photoshop. Of course I could try out both. =] Thanks for your comments.

@Punchdrunk
Yeah I know... I tried to make her seem like she was in her gloomy state, but that failed so hard. I'll try and fix it up; maybe her eyes neet to be bigger or something. And also what do you mean by heads being "short"? Like, too round?

Another year old thing. I need to seriously start creating more SC fanart. I mean, I do but a lot isnt worth posting. I draw mostly Yun, Mi-Na and Talim fanart. All the minor characters, ya know?

dvaparayugacopy2.jpg

His left arm is too short. =P Drawn a year ago before the game was out.

And also what do you mean by heads being "short"? Like, too round?
I mean a lack of forehead, sort of. Sophitia in the second pic is the best example, but i think Raphael suffers from it too. It's like the hair isn't on top of the head, it's instead of the head you know?

Aaah I see. Raphael's... well I'd circle it and zoom in for you but I'm too lazy. His bangs come forward and over his face so maybe you cant see where his hair line starts. Same for Sophitia... kind of... her's seems to be more of a problem though.

Yeah I know... I tried to make her seem like she was in her gloomy state, but that failed so hard. I'll try and fix it up; maybe her eyes neet to be bigger or something.

Bigger would be good. Except for this i think it looks absolutely awesome.

And i agree:

We

Needs

Moar

Fanart

Well, since you asked for a critique, I'll do what I can.

The composition is most excellent, I gotta say. The second one is a vast improvement over the first, but there's some issues to address.

If you're going to ink this in, you may wanna consider putting a strong outline around Sieg and the Calibur, since they're the focus of the piece. As it is they sort of get lost in all the finer detail lineart (which is beautiful, but there's so much of it that you'll need harder outlines to separate your figures or it'll all get jumbled up).

Second, I get a little confused about the face in the middle. Is it Kilik? Raphael? Edge Maverick? There oughtta be something you could do to make it more recognizable...

Someone mentioned something about Tira's face and I agree; it doesn't quite look like her. The face she has right now is what I'd expect out of, say, Taki or Setsuka. Tira's face has to be much younger (she's only 17 in SCIV, you know? =D). What I'd also think about is how to push her expression. Tira has a pretty distinct personality, and I don't think she's the kind to give shady glances and subtle smirks.

Otherwise, I think this is an excellent piece. Get it done! =D

I should probably get to lining that soon then. xD Thanks A_Bad_Idea. Yeah I was gonna have a stronger outline for Sieg like I did in the first and change Tira's expression. Like I said, I tried to make her look like she's in her gloomy state, but looks more like her constipated state. Oh and the guy's face; that's Raphael. I tried to draw his fringe sticking outwards more but it was a little hard since he's facing front on. Not sure if I'll line it actually, I might just colour it. =\

Back