New Anti-virus Program

K0rN_b4LL

[14] Master
Right now I have AVG and it is really secure but my laptop is a single-core processor and AVG makes it chug like crazy sometimes. I'm looking for a good anti-virus program that is still decent but won't slow the hell out of everything I do. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Right now I have AVG and it is really secure but my laptop is a single-core processor and AVG makes it chug like crazy sometimes. I'm looking for a good anti-virus program that is still decent but won't slow the hell out of everything I do. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Try doing virus scans while you're asleep or have it set to do a weekly scan while you're sleep.

The scans aren't the problem. It is constantly monitoring everything you do on your computer, even when not doing a scan, and it eats up performance.

I have AVG on my computer at work and yeah it fuckin slows your computer down without it doing scans. I have to turn it off usually just so I can run a very simple DOS based invoicing program.

I like the MS essentials. Does a fairly good job without slowing me down.

hmm any free anti-virus programs u guys know? too lazy to look for them now..and what would be the best one to get?

MS essentials is free.

By all means Im not computer expert of any kind. I like simple easy to use stuff. Ive had MS essentials on my computer for a few years and have not gotten any viruses or notice any performance issues

I have MS Essentials and AVG. They don't lag out my PC at all.

Perhaps Avast?

Ok. AVG is uninstalled and MSE is loaded and updating as I speak. Man it is ridiculous how much faster everything runs without AVG chugging things up.

I use a linux-based distro called "Ubuntu". No viruses as long as you only install from approved repositories. So, I have no need for anti-virus. If you're bored you can try it out. I've been using Ubuntu for a little more than three years now.

Avast is a really good anti-virus and is free.

Kaspersky is not free, but is in the top 5 worldwide anti-virus. What I do is buy the edition from the last year around July because is a lot cheaper, and the pack offers me 3 license for 3 differents PCs. The price of the last year edition in around 20$.

Provided you are not an idiot with computers and the internet, Microsoft security essentials is all you will ever need. It's one of the best virus defenders ever made, and its very light on resources at the same time.

Wow. I did a full system scan with MS Essentials the other day, after 9 hours of scanning I said eff-it and closed it out. The progress bar had stayed at about 80% done for 3 hours straight, but the "Scanning: file name" was still constantly changing so I guess I had a lot of stuff in that particular area. Maybe I just had a bunch of stuff that needed deleting or something and that is why it took so long but good god that was a ridiculous amount of time.

Back