Opinion on SC Guest Characters

BlueDiamond

[05] Battler
Hey guys, I would like to know what are your opinions on guest characters in SC. Do you think that it's awesome and want to see more of it, Or you believe that it is completely unnecessary and are just there to fill up space?

Well, guest characters... I personally think it's a good idea, because it brings in more people to the series, also makes more money, without having to have any impact on the story or pissing off fans of the series as it is. Many people bought SCII and SCV just because it had Link and Ezio (or as I call him, Assio) in it, and as far as I can tell, most of such SCV players drop him quickly and start to be interested in the actual SC characters and the entire series. So it's a cool way to make more money and bring in more players. Guest characters never were annoying or anyhow important to me, except Kratos, who pissed me off in SC:BD, but I quickly learned how to Guard impact his moves and he became easy to beat. You can kinda look at Dampierre as an annoying and stupid guest character, because he doesn't fit into SC at all, and is annoying as all fuck. My theory is that he was meant for a different game, but later trashed and pushed into SCV.

I thought that it had a strong start in SCII, I only played the Gamecube and Playstaion 2 versions, and thought they were solid. In Soul Calibur IV, it was head scratching to have StarWars characters in it, and to be honest, I wish that they didn't include Yoda-mainly because he was cheap as hell. Enzio was okay, i guess, and I personally never played Broken Destiny.

Oh, I completely forgot Star Wars characters in SCIV, which was probably the biggest guest character deal in the series. People who weren't interested in Star Wars were pissed off taht the characters are there, and people who like Star Wars obviously liked having the characters in there. I play SC on PlayStation only, so I don't know how people feel about Yoda, but Vader in SC is pretty cool even for me. I don't like The Apprentice, because he's quite hard for me in the arcade (as I keep saying, I'm not a very good player). SW characters fit in the least of the guest characters, because it simply doesn't make any sense. Ok, they want to use the power of Soul Calibur nad Soul Edge, but... Lightsabers would cut any ordinary weapon, or probably pretty much anything on Earth, so seeing them clash with ordinary swords in SC is just weird. I guess there's not much else to say.

Guest Characters are not welcomed if they won't be recycled the next game in some way, I don't mind bonus sales from casuals tho *cough* Star Wars *cough* Legend of Zelda, and I love maining Ezio casually and competitively.

I thought that it had a strong start in SCII, I only played the Gamecube and Playstaion 2 versions, and thought they were solid. In Soul Calibur IV, it was head scratching to have StarWars characters in it, and to be honest, I wish that they didn't include Yoda-mainly because he was cheap as hell. Enzio was okay, i guess, and I personally never played Broken Destiny.
I highly recommend you to play Broken Destiny. It's essentially a shrunken down version of SCIV for the PSP, so if you have a flashed PSP, you can play it no problem, and even if you don't, you can emulate PSP on PC or Android/iOS, if your device is powerful enough. BD has some interesting game modes, but the coolest thing about it for me is the creation. In SCIV you get all characters' 2P equipment in creation, only 2P, and in SCV you have to pay stupid DLC just to get SOME of the equipment. Well, in SC:BD you get all characters' 1P and 2P equipment in Creation, and you can combine them, etc. Also, a small thing, doing Critical Finishes in BD is incredibly easy.

yoda was awful though

Honestly, I'm 50/50 on them.

Positive: I really like when they get characters who could easily fit into the Soul Calibur universe. Characters like Link, Ezio, and Kratos were characters I felt that fit into the universe very nicely. However, I can't say the same for Soul Calibur 4's Star Wars guest characters. I was especially miffed with Starkiller because his moveset could have been great for a brand new Soul Calibur character. Considering that Soul Calibur 4 came out around 2008, I would've preferred a guest like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, Prince from Prince of Persia, Dante from Devil May Cry, or a Castlevania character (Simon or Alucard) as their game franchises had releases in the same year. I'm sorry to the fans of Star Wars but I just felt they were very unfitting.

Negative: The downside of guest characters is that they can put more time into them and may make the characters overpowered (Starkiller is one of the best examples of this) just for the sake of appealing to the casuals who aren't into Soul Calibur. I also feel that they could take away potential of adding new characters.

All in all, I'm okay with Guest characters so long as they fit the theme of the universe.

Honestly, I'm 50/50 on them.

Positive: I really like when they get characters who could easily fit into the Soul Calibur universe. Characters like Link, Ezio, and Kratos were characters I felt that fit into the universe very nicely. However, I can't say the same for Soul Calibur 4's Star Wars guest characters. I was especially miffed with Starkiller because his moveset could have been great for a brand new Soul Calibur character. Considering that Soul Calibur 4 came out around 2008, I would've preferred a guest like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, Prince from Prince of Persia, Dante from Devil May Cry, or a Castlevania character (Simon or Alucard) as their game franchises had releases in the same year. I'm sorry to the fans of Star Wars but I just felt they were very unfitting.

Negative: The downside of guest characters is that they can put more time into them and may make the characters overpowered (Starkiller is one of the best examples of this) just for the sake of appealing to the casuals who aren't into Soul Calibur. I also feel that they could take away potential of adding new characters.

All in all, I'm okay with Guest characters so long as they fit the theme of the universe.
starkiller was also not overpowered

I've thought about it for awhile and have changed my opinion on guest characters like 5 different times going back and forth on them but ultimately my main issue with them are not only that they don't carry over to the next game but it kind of leaves out the people that picked up that character and were successful with them. Sure we all have to change and adapt when a new game comes out but when it comes to the longevity of the scene it's kind of whack that you a player who was identified with the character can no longer at least have a chance to carry over that success into the next game.

For example, Jimbo made his name off of working the fuck out of Ezio and he'll forever be linked with that character. With this next game coming who knows how he'll take having to main someone else and start from scratch. As I was talking about the longevity of the scene, this is a possible example of someone leaving because the character they identified with is gone. Like it or not, criticize if you want but a large majority of people in the FGC personalize what they're doing in a fighting game. It's what makes people care so damn much and put in their time to be successful at whatever game. I know to me it was kind of a let down to not be able to see SU play Kilik, Mick play Xianghua, Partisan play Cassandra, or LP play Setsuka. And I know for a fact that's what kept a few players from really sticking to this last game. They tried for a bit but they just couldn't find that same passion they had not being able to transfer that over to some character they never even heard of before.

So yeah I have to say I'm just against guest characters on a whole as far as looking at it from the full series perspective, but I guess if it's just on a game by game basis it would be cool. Saying all that DEATH from Darksiders needs to be in this next game and fuck anyone else you all may bring up. I am right in this and I demand for it to happen!

Back