Patroklos Q&A/Discussion Thread

Also, that's not for nothing that there's some combos in the ''Main Moves'' tab for you to do.

Hell, 66B+G can make up with 7 hits assuming you button mash everything and spin the analog like crazy.

Easiest way to ringout (up to preference)? 3B 236B. However, you need to be near the end of the arena. But, if you are on the working end (AKA you're nearly out of the ring), 11B can do just fine. In some cases, some opponents can accidentally ring out themselves by doing some moves, so how about you lure them about doing these?

Good players won't block the 2nd hit if 236A,B. Therefore, doesn't really matter. It's steppable on reaction.

66A is great even blocked. You can whiff punish with it for the 66A~BE, 1B~BE, CE 2 meter final round ring out combo, but it's good on it's own. It closes the gap when you can make them respect their frame disadvantage, and is only -6 on block. From here, GI, immediate A+B, high crush B+K, etc. all become options as -6 is very much inside Patroklos's "at small disadvantage pressure zone". 66A blocked is fine by me.

Hey guys,

I picked up Soul Calibur fairly recently and as a fighting game noob, I am struggling for consistancy. I hear the way to play Pat is to 'get in' and punish severely so that's what I try but I'm not sure on how to keep the pressure on the opponent. I seem to be falling into the routine of doing moves (I do 66B/6BBB into 66B+K way too much) and then just guarding instead of carrying on attacking, mainly because I'm not sure on what to do next. Can anyone give me some advice on this or any moves which link together to carry on the pressure?

btw, is it better to use the d-pad or the analog stick on a Xbox 360 controller or is it just preference?

Thanks for any responses

Raph is unfortunately even worse post-patch than he was before. He's really no problem at all. If you're having an issue with him, it's most likely because you don't know his terrible stances. Spend maybe an hour in training with Raph and you'll see he has nothing to scare you with. High crush his Prep stance a lot. Most people who claim to have issues with Raph using any char, let alone Patroklos, just don't know his stance attacks so it seems like a bunch of rapid attacks but really it's sadly garbage.

No matter what, it's always the preference.

6BBB is best used when you broke someone's guard.

Other than that, I think you can refer yourself to this video:

Hope it's helpful.

Ah.

One thing, the video's outdated. (Oops.)

You'll need to try it out yourself to confirm, but in most cases, you DON'T want to actually end with 66A+B or 2A+B or 236B. You want to end with 236K.

Ah.

One thing, the video's outdated. (Oops.)

You'll need to try it out yourself to confirm, but in most cases, you DON'T want to actually end with 66A+B or 2A+B. You want to end with 236K.
Damn. I noted every featured combo showcased in a piece of paper. How could it be outdated?

236K does less damage, but the meter gain from it increases your potential damage output. A Patroklos dripping with meter is much scarier than a Patroklos that's bone-dry.

You need to hit it in almost every single combo, as much as you humanly can. You should even try to hit it in okizeme situations. It's death on block, but the risk is worth it.

Hi all, I know this might be too much to ask, but I want to improve, and could use some help. I have only just got rid of that pesky 6BBB addiction, and if somebody could point out any more bad habits I have, and offer advice, I would greatly appreciate it. By the way, I know I went for the throw too much in the first fight, but how else will I learn?

Your main problem so far is whiff punishing with throws. (I used to do this back in the day.)

Whiff punishing with throws is a bad habit you'll need to break. Side throws can be broken (some characters can break back throws) and Patroklos has terrible throw range to boot. When you cause a whiff, by sidestepping, backstepping, etc. and you can clearly see that the opponent is open, you need to hit them with a combo. 3B, 33B, 66B, you need to hit them hard for whiffing. Attempting a throw at this point is leaving too much up to chance.

66B, 66B+K, you're tapping 6 too much. Just double tap and B+K. It has more range than you'd think.
If you're far away when you hit 66B, double tap 6 and on the last tap hold 6, step forward a tiny bit and then hit B+K.

Nice B+K, CE in the second match. That was good. Whiff punishing with B+K... I need to pick that technique up...

If you get a wallsplat (in the third match you hit 22AA a couple of times) you should try to go for additional damage. At least a 236K.

You're not bad. Take advantage of the opportunities that arise and you should be able to end your matches quicker.

You could do with some matchup experience.

Mitsurugi 66BB is punishable. You need to 66B after blocking the second hit.

Viola's 8A+B is 66B punishable. 66AAB is all highs, you need to duck.

Xiba 3BK is interruptible at least by 2A. 66KB is 236B punishable (and I believe easier to step now). 2A+B is 236B punishable.

More 1K

Work on punishes, if you're not sure the 236B will land, brave edge it to make it safe.

You're not spending your meter on anything but CE right now I would suggest more GI's.

Your defense needs improving but that will come with time. You're very mobile and that's good, but I feel that smart opponents could punish you for constantly stepping.

Wish I could land half as many 66B's as you do.

Your main problem so far is whiff punishing with throws. (I used to do this back in the day.)

Hahaha, I figured as much, I just get carried away by the thought of those side throws, when I could easily get in a 66B and combo away 30% of their health. That's the first thing i'll work on, thanks.

66B, 66B+K, you're tapping 6 too much. Just double tap and B+K. It has more range than you'd think.
If you're far away when you hit 66B, double tap 6 and on the last tap hold 6, step forward a tiny bit and then hit B+K.

I guessed I was doing something wrong, they do block or evade it 1/5 times when I go for the 66B+K. Time to practice my input speed.

Nice B+K, CE in the second match. That was good. Whiff punishing with B+K... I need to pick that technique up...

Yeah, I need to try that instead of those throws more I think. The damage is insane, and I usually have enough meter for the CE.

If you get a wallsplat (in the third match you hit 22AA a couple of times) you should try to go for additional damage. At least a 236K.

Ok, that sounds like great advice, now I just need to learn some wall combos. Should be some real good ones, right?

Thanks for your input, hopefully I can get better from this. I'll get that matchup experience in time, i've had about 40 matches so far, mainly against Xiba's...

Heh, i'm slowly learning this. What is the best way to follow it up to take advantage of how awesome it is? Any ideas?

Work on punishes, if you're not sure the 236B will land, brave edge it to make it safe.

Yup, I know I suck at the punishing. I have the time, but I do silly things. I need to learn when I can hit the 236B too.

You're not spending your meter on anything but CE right now I would suggest more GI's.

I've been thinking about this, but when the match starts I tend to forget all about them. And the BE's, I should throw in a few of those too.

Your defense needs improving but that will come with time. You're very mobile and that's good, but I feel that smart opponents could punish you for constantly stepping.

Agreed. a few do tend to make me suffer for it.

Wish I could land half as many 66B's as you do.

Hah, thanks :) I think, but i'm not sure, that it's my habit of using 2A+B after a throw. Once I hit, they seem to think i'll try it again, when I go for 66B instead. They'll pick up on it though, I need to vary it. Thanks for the help mate.

Back