Public 8WAYRUN Questions

If I got in that situation, I'd apply water and use my hand to..........yeah.

Directed to everyone, I ask what element tickles your fancy?

I'm a water fanatic mainly, but ice is nice.

I'd associate myself with water too as my name implies. But, if that was taken and I couldn't use it, my element would be metal instead. Maybe I'll change my name to MetalJames. lol

Actually I applied Clorox wipes on myself once. It was kind of unpleasant....

Word of warning to anyone who hasn't yet...

I don't advise it. It'll feel like your ass is on fire... Ouch!

What is the dumbest thing you have seen someone do on the internet?

Of all the stupid shit I've seen on the internet, this takes the cake...

Trying to answer everyone's questions in one post.
I'll make this as simple as possible. I had no idea that I come across as a 'know it all', but I think this actually a case of projection than anything else. You see, people are quick to point out flaws in others that they themselves have. It's basic psychology 101.

Second, I never claimed to be some kind of expert. All I am is some guy who's played the game for years and will take the time to learn frames and matchups and whatnot, but no I don't compete in tournaments. I realize this is an 'elite' website, but I didn't realize that casuals are actually looked down upon here, which is just silly IMO because casuals after all make up the majority of the game sales anyway. If it wasn't for the casuals, there wouldn't be any SC.

Being that this site is 'elite', it's actually more correct to call it 'elitist', because in reality you guys all fall into this 'group think' collectivist mentality where if one tourney players says something, the other, lesser players all regurgitate it like it was their own idea. You may think this comes across as 'know it all', but remember that I've been gaming longer than some of you have been alive and I have been to dozens, if not hundreds of gaming forums. They all suffer from elitist prickheads dominating the boards more than half the time to be sure, and the thing is, when I was younger it didn't bother me so much. Heck, I was one of those childish elitist prickheads telling everyone how to play Ultima online properly (I bet few of you remember that game, eh?)

When it comes to this game in particular, I don't subscribe to the status quo/popular opinion of it, especially from the 'elite' players. It's quite hilarious when you say something as innocent as "I prefer sc2 over 5" and you get all these elitist twats getting their panties in a wad because "OMG SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET". I'm sorry that I think you should be able to step 'some' verticals on reaction like in sc2, but I don't need to justify my opinion when It's simply more fun to me to play that way.

And lastly, I find this 'anything to win' attitude repugnant. Maximizing combo damage and all that jazz in one thing, but actually exploiting glitches in order to win is downright 'cheap'. It's 'cheap' because the designers never intended the game to be played that way, and it's exactly why PS patched out fuzzy guard in scv. And yet you guys are so elitist that even calling something 'cheap' (which it rightfully is) immediately you get the scrub card put on you. Right, so banning viola's back grab infinite is totally okay, but the minute you call it 'cheap' it's just a scrub excuse? Yeah, needless to say I DON'T buy into that.

Step guard didn't ruin 2, VC didn't ruin 3, it's the players and this 'anything to win' attitude that ruined those games. Actually let me take it one step further: Playing this game for money ruined it. It cheapens the whole thing. It's no longer something you do for fun, it becomes a homework assignment that requires a great deal of study and practice.

Being that this is the internet, I figured this is the one place I can express how I really feel about something. I bite my tongue at work, at home, pretty much everywhere else. I don't feel like I need to hold back just because I might be wrong or offensive to someone. Oh, and I'm terribly sorry that I insulted someone here, after all this is the internet right? I thought you people said it was totally OK to be a dick because it's online right? It's not like I'm actually trying to be a dick or anything, it's just that I don't care for sugar coating is all.

Maybe I'm just getting soft with age, but I don't have the patience for needless trolling or snotty/passive aggressive BS anymore. I just tell it like it is. You can tell me I'm wrong but the minute you start needlessly being a dick about it I pack up and run away. I'm too old for that kind of nonsense. Maybe some of you will understand that one day:)

If all that I said makes me a scrub, so be it. I'd rather be a scrub than an elitist twat any day. The thing you guys don't realize is, even if your intention is to 'inform' and educate someone, doing it in a dickish way will NOT get the desired result you want. I don't care how right you are, nobody listens to assholes. I don't get 'pissed' off at this sort of BS like some of you think "lol u mad bro", it's more like "oh boy here we go again" and I jump on that ignore button because I have better things to do than argue with some spoiled brat who travels abroad just for a damn video game, a game which most likely will be forgotten in less than 5 years.

You guys act like tourney players are a different species or something, you seem to think that there is some astronomical difference in skill between those that attend tourneys and those who don't. And because of this, you guys automatically dismiss everything that isn't spoken by one of your 'elite' brethren. Let me tell you bro, the only real quantifiable difference is that you have money to travel and I don't, oh and plus I don't care for that sort of stuff anyway.

Yes I am an old geezer, yes I'm stuck in my ways, and yes I've been there and done that. I HAVE attended and placed high in several video game tournaments over the years, just not for any FG. I got burnt out on that stuff years ago. Fortunately I was lucky enough to live in LA where that kind of stuff is common.

Does that cover everything or did I miss someone's questions/trolling?

Trying to answer everyone's questions in one post.
I'll make this as simple as possible. I had no idea that I come across as a 'know it all', but I think this actually a case of projection than anything else. You see, people are quick to point out flaws in others that they themselves have. It's basic psychology 101.
Few more:

Why haven't you left?

Why are you still here?

Why did you say you were leaving?

Don't even know what he's on about. Getting mad at people calling him a know it all then calls everybody an elitist, I mean you can't legislate for that shite.

He clearly lacks any form of perception, perspective or 'empathy' which is proven by his 11 paragraphs of shit no one wants to read.

This site isn't elitist. The SC sites that are no longer around were more elitist then this one. Plus there wouldn't be casual/fanfic/etc sections on this section if it was only about the tourney players here.

What you can't do is post someone nonsense and expect no one to call you out on it.

I need some help. I randomly get disconnected from XBL randomly and every time I try to reconnect, I get error code 80151904. Can I get some advice? Is there anyone else with a problem like this?

I need some help. I randomly get disconnected from XBL randomly and every time I try to reconnect, I get error code 80151904. Can I get some advice? Is there anyone else with a problem like this?
I'm not sure which error code that is but what I usually do is shut the console off and back on, it usually works but sometimes it will disconnect it again but usually it works most of the time for me

Stuff that I actually read.

I agree with some stuff you said, and disagree with some other stuff. I acknowledge that you're entitled to your own opinion, but the thing is, it's really hard to get a grasp of what the community is or how people in the community think overall when you're just typing from home.

Yes, there IS a difference between players that compete and travel for the game and people that don't. I'm not gonna say they're better human beings or whatever they're thought to be claiming they are (mind you, I used to think like that, too), but the actual top players are way above in terms of skill and experience of what the game is actually designed to be, thus giving them more credibility when it comes to metagame talk.

Lastly, be aware that there is a number of hardened, nasty trolls on this website. Some of them might give you a wrong impression of the Soul Calibur community, but most of the dedicated players are super fun to hang out with, want to help with the game, and won't judge anyone until they spout stubborn nonsense on the internet. That's when you become troll bait.

CAPTAINHOOK IN A NUTSHELL:

BE NICE ABOUT TELLING THE TRUTH. DON'T BE MEAN ABOUT IT, ESPECIALLY IF I AM A TOTAL ASSHOLE IN MY IGNORANCE AND AM TOO STUPID TO REALIZE IT. =(

YOU'RE THE ONES THAT HAVE TO BE NICE TO ME FOR MY MISTAKES. BE NICE TO ME, PLEASE. BE NICE TO BULLIES, TOO. THEY'RE ALWAYS DOWN TO HAVE RATIONAL DISCUSSIONS AND DO WHAT IS RIGHT. BE NICE TO ASSHOLES! PLEASE! PLEASE BE NICE. =(

I DESERVE TO HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO ACT FIRST AND THINK LATER BECAUSE FUCK YEAH! LOL, I'M JUST SOOO MUCH SMARTER THAN YOU ALL BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL SO GROUPTHINK AND NOBODY HERE HAS POSSIBLY LEARNED OF ANYTHING I HAVE OUTSIDE OF THIS COMMUNITY, ONLY I KNOW ABOUT STUFF! I AM JUST SOOO SPECIAL BECAUSE I CAN PRETEND TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND I AM OLDER THAN YOU AND LOLOL INSERT MORE PSEUDO LOGIC HERE. HOW WILL I EVER COPE IF MY EGO DISCOVERS IT WAS WRONG ABOUT SOMETHING. =(

Back