Pushing for a Better Official Guide

IvyFanboy

[11] Champion
SC 5 may or may not happen. I personally believe it will, it's just a matter of when. But one of the biggest issues I have is with the game Official Guide. If you bought SC IVs then you know it's probably one of the most useless guides ever written. The writeup on game play and strategy is terrible. There's almost nothing to really pull from it. Now this was made by Bradygames...and I even sent them a letter of it's worthlessness...naturally no response. I later picked up Prima's guide for SF4 and found it very useful. The Guide had a lot to offer a new player and even had frame data for all arcade characters.

So why bring this all up? Well when SC5 or another title gets announced, we should probably email like crazy to the publishers to include a better guide. While most of us are far beyond the need for a strategy write up we could all be very thankful if frame data was just handed to us rather than spend months figuring it out. Hell a guaranteed punish guide would be amazing to have.

Not much to do now, but if anyone could figure out if the publisher will remain bradygames we could email namco and bradygames NOW, and request it before it even starts publication.

Things to Ask for:
Frame Data
Punish List
Soul Gauge Damage
etc...

Something you need to consider is when the guide was written. Which was in fact before the game was released. At the time of release the guide actually contained a lot of very useful ideas and strategies.

True. It didnt get an arcade release for things to develop. Still that thing was 90% movelist which is already in the game.

Common doing the Frame Data is quite interesting,. You learn a LOT during that, its nice to search for broken moves, people are so happy when you release the Data etc etc...it would be to easy to just buy a book and have all the FD.

Its the most exciting days when a new SC comes out, the first few days till people start releasing the Data for the chars...:)

Having the movelist is kinda useful...

But yeah, a few combos and simple ground game mixup would be great.

But I think that stuff like punish list and frame data would just confuse a lot of people. People come to SF with the expectation of a deep and technical game. SCIV just wasn't marketed that way; it draws a lot of people who have never played a fighting game before.

1. SC5 is well a ways from getting here, so why worry about having a guide for it?

2. SC5 won't have an arcade release, so how much information that you would find useful would that guide actually contain?

3. Even if a guide is published, it will be outdated because of changes that could come from patching, so why buy a guide with outdated info? At least with SF4, the game was out in the arcades for a while so that you could build a guide for it and have that info still be pertinent. I also have a copy of that guide as well. Well done.

4. A guide would be convenient, but it won't compare to what players can put together themselves and have available for free online. We have a wiki with frame data, and there's players who've either created guides for their specific character or videos online.

I would suggest if and when a new game comes out, that the community jump right on that with creating guides and videos. Locally we've been throwing around the idea of making video guides, but at this point, it's kind of late in the game to do so with the lack of people playing competitively offline. But hopefully with a fresh start and one place to find info, players will be motivated in creating guides and new players could learn something and eventually become a part of this community.

i think the competitive players of sc make up a very small percentage of the sales.
trying to inform casual gamers of 'frames' 'properties' etc. would alienate alot more people than it would help.
listing the bare bones of the game is better i think, it doesn't put off newcomers, and people who want to learn more know to go elsewhere.
a brief explanation of 8-way run and impacts is adequate i think.

4. A guide would be convenient, but it won't compare to what players can put together themselves and have available for free online. We have a wiki with frame data, and there's players who've either created guides for their specific character or videos online.
^

Competitive Calibur players don't even make up a 100th of 1% of the people who've bought this game. So making a guide probably won't serve much purpose for the casual players unless the story mode was a hell of alot better. Plus they are not going to need to know exact frame data if they only play online.

But putting together videos that go from the basics to the advanced stuff will do alot more than having some publisher make a guide. And if they see in the video to come to this site, that will do wonders since alot of people still don't know to come to 8WayRun.com.

Back