Raphael General Discussion / Q&A

regular A throw RO on raphs side B throw on raph's front.
Both have been reduced as most ro options, so if in scIV you can RO with both throws at 45° now that option still remains but only if opponents is near a corner.

side throw can RO also.

yeah at 45 degrees you can punch people out with B+G or flip them upside down off the stage to raph's right.
Obviously the problem back in SC4 is why would anyone duck against raph near a ledge?

The "big slap" side throw rung out generously in SC4 and rings out behind-right raph when grabbed.

yeah at 45 degrees you can punch people out with B+G or flip them upside down off the stage to raph's right.
Obviously the problem back in SC4 is why would anyone duck against raph near a ledge?

The "big slap" side throw rung out generously in SC4 and rings out behind-right raph when grabbed.

Well neat! I don't recall standard A throw ever ROing in 2 or 3.

Question! If I break someone's guard and I don't have any meter to work with what's the most damaging move I can do that's guaranteed damage? thanks in advance : D

What exactly is 8A+B and 4A+B supposed to counter, 8 I think is highs, unsure on 4.

Its exactly as it appears on the wiki:

4A+B takes care of weapon horizontals high, middle and special lows from frame 8 to 17.

8A+B takes care of weapon horizontals high, middle and specials lows.. AND vertical weapon thrusts high mid and special lows from frames i12 to i17.

Check this out : http://8wayrun.com/wiki/raphael-frame-data-sc5/

It took 3 games for me to realize this. They obviously changed Raphael's stance in SC3, but they didn't change his crouching stance!

I miss his SC2 stance dance. I'm guessing they changed it because it does constantly slightly change his position, but I don't care, I'd like it back.

That's like comparing apples holding a rapier to an orange holding nunchaku. They really aren't anything alike.
Why because Rapheal zones people out and Maxi pit bulls people. I don't get it. I can effectively zone people out with all of Maxi's neutral movement.

...what exactly are you talking about?
I was telling you I didn't get your analogy. I thought that maybe the removal of Raphs neutral movement was to help with his space control which I then said it's really a non-issue because Maxi can do it just fine with all his neutral movement.

I was telling you I didn't get your analogy. I thought that maybe the removal of Raphs neutral movement was to help with his space control which I then said it's really a non-issue because Maxi can do it just fine with all his neutral movement.

I'm not sure where in the world you got that from. Go back and read my post - I'm saying that the "dance" Raphael did in SC2 is an actual fencing manuever. It's trivia, nothing more.

I'm not sure where in the world you got that from. Go back and read my post - I'm saying that the "dance" Raphael did in SC2 is an actual fencing manuever. It's trivia, nothing more.
I wasn't actually talking to you when I said that though. It pretty difficult for me to quote long post and then put snip there on my IPad. Sorry for the confusion.

His SC2 "dance" is called an appel, which is a fencing term for tapping your foot lightly to create a distraction and/or reaction for your opponent.
I hate being all nitpicky, but the definitions I'm finding for appel are these:
beating the ground with the ball of the foot, either as a 'front foot' or 'rear foot' appel
Stamping the front foot to the ground, to produce a sound to distract or startle the opponent. This may be made during an advance, or directly from an en garde position. It may precede a lunge, or be used merely as a distraction. An appel is also sometimes called a 'half-Advance'. This action may also be used to halt a bout, often by stamping the trailing foot insistently.

Which seems it's more like a sudden stomp than moving continuously back and forth at an irregular pace.

That said, I have limited knowledge of real life fencing, so I dunno if what Raphael is doing can be considered a sensible tactic at all. The majority of his moves are definitely extremely exaggerated and over the top so maybe his stance was made with the same mindset of just looking fancy.

Back