Raphael Wishlist 2.0

do you want raph to perform ballet moves?
.____________.

Joking aside you can try to read all suggestion made to this point:

more poke dmg = scIV
Old 44B
a powerful prep mid option
33A into WRA or fc3A
old 22AA
66B+K as the old 11B

As i tried to say (and its not a complaint) is they changed to much but actually nerfed base scIV raph and gave him few tools that actually deals no damagedespite being awesome.

The treatment reserved to raph is the opposite of the rest of the cast making the character not competitive unless he has some sort of broken move like 22B into 3B,BBE (also JG was less used pre patch and raph suffers that a lot).

Imho a good starting point would in fact taking all raph old moves that still are in SCV, remove nerfs from scIV being completely unnecessary and balance those with those new sweet moves they gave to raph.

lets think for a moment to this possibility...

It wouldn t require that much work, and would probably made raph decent and not top tier for sure...
I mean:

prepk becoming some sort of old prepA (lower disadvantage)
44AB having his old 60 dmg back
1A with more damage
tracking AB
fixed 33KB and 4B range issues
old 3B pushback on block
fixing 66B+K that whiffs at short range and adding guard damage
Old 66A+B, K, 66A combo (why did the even remove that O__O?)
BBB tracking on second hit being slow weak on hit and lacking old range supremacy due to general range increase of every character.....

etc etc ...
All this mantaining current 6BB, 3A, 1K, etc

This would make raph gameplay smore varied, less weak and at least comparable to most other mid tiers.

OR at least is a possibility they should take in account....in fact it makes no sense that they buffed almost every single scIV moves of other character and did the opposite to raph ....they could start yesting if that was really necessary being raph bottom-mid/high-low in scIV

In my opinion what they should do about BB is to bring it back to i14. Raph's BB was Godlike in IV. But I guess what they chose to do was to replace that with an i16 BBB that combos on CH. But It's actually conflictual with his 3B as a punish.
As an i14 it'd have a real purpose and would be really good, but certainly not broken.

Weirdly enough I found pokes pretty effective in this game. Well it suits my playstyle and the characters I use. And I use Raphael.

And how in the world is 11BB useful? I only use it to overkill cause it looks hilarious.

In my opinion what they should do about BB is to bring it back to i14. Raph's BB was Godlike in IV. But I guess what they chose to do was to replace that with an i16 BBB that combos on CH. But It's actually conflictual with his 3B as a punish.
As an i14 it'd have a real purpose and would be really good, but certainly not broken.

i14 would be probably way too strong considering:
Raph already has punishes at i12, i16 and i20 that overcome "push-out" range safety. BB slotting in as a 25 damage punish at i14 may turn Raph into too much of a punishment character and he may lose out on his claim for buffs in areas where he is more lacking.

BBB is also a NCC so a i14 47 damage mid CH fisher is a significant thing to consider. Aside from a wall, it would seem to be a CH fisher of choice of 3A in most frame-trap scenarios except considering walls or the opponent side-stepping.

BBB to i15 may be ideal if the series were to get a buff. This move will now combo after 22B (crumple re-alignment issues aside) for approximately 55-57 damage. Any sort of re-alignment of Raph after the 1st or 2nd hit is pretty much against their Raph design philosophy. The conflict between BBB and 3K is a major frame on hit/block comparison, as there would not be any reason to 3K aside from wanting better frames on block as a poke.

AA's pushback bug is all I want fixed. Changing a move from i16 to i14 is a huge buff anyway you slice it and imo will take away potential buff space from other moves (except glitches and bugs).
---

To add to the list of push-back on hit whiffs, prep kBE can whiff due to the pushback on the first prep K on hit! The range to see this is probably when prep K connects at the same range 4(B)~prepBB will fail. Prep K on hit has a bounce pushback approximately the same as 4(B) which seems like a very easy fix : lessen the pushback on hit. A subsequent change would be that prep K BE's ringout/wall splat trajectory distance is lessened, but prep K on CH may have them crumple at your feet for A+BA combo.

@Darkfender: Don't worry so much about tiers and don't forget that SCIV Raph's verticals sucked in frames and damage compared to the rest of the cast.
6BB was beast
3B was good
22B,B:B was 60 damage raged with decent speed that was something other character didn t have.
BB realigned on second hit (even post patch).
236B was not only a whiff punisher but an actual punisher against huge pushback moves (astaroth, nightmare etc)
4B was awesome

but most of all
AB was godly (well good merit was on A being -2 but also tracking B).

We do not want that. Plus, pokes suck in this game, and they probably won't be any better in SC6. I don't like poking so much anyway since it's very boring. You did make some good points in your post though. However, is a 60 dmg 44AB really that important?? 44AB is NC in this game (not in SC4), so a 60 dmg NC horizontal with Prep entry makes the move too strong. Im happy with 30 NC damage. How about adding stun to the second hit of 44AB and guaranteeing Prep options rather than damage increase??

I start from the fact that current raphael is so unconsistent that most player plays him completely differently...

i am doing uite well with raph recently and despite trying many tactics i ended up playing like scIV (little more aggressive) because its too risky to attack with anything that isn t a poke i ended up not caring for the damage but i want to pressure enemy movements while playing as safe as i can.

Raph mixups are too risky andi use them only as comeback system or to end rounds.

I.E. you can severely limit opponent movement and adapt to almost any distance with current raph as long as yur opponent keeps attacking...
You still risk to lose to characters with poke better than yours and TC fast launchers

I can try to explain...

Actually raph has that i13 wrB that can be seen as i14 iwrB becoming a strange move.
Add to that:
-4A+B
-2A
-6BB
-3A

and you see at range raph can HIT a lot.....
That also because if opponent tries to get near or you expect a low you can duck and wrB really fast giving you a boost on your poking battle.

Some player are in this situation forced to tap 2 but if ducking is fast, rising is quite slow in scV and that is where wrB is effective.
Its really hard to explain and i come also from those times when ducking without a reason was to avoid like mad but with current raph you can do that.
Blocking even many 2K because as you are neutral you can duck and if opponent did not 2K simply wrB.

This would blend perfectly with a strong poking and punishing game....forcing opponent to attack have always been raph key to success, he can really punish anything.

I agree with most of the other stuff you mentioned but I don't want 66B+K as 11B. Dark Abyss imo should always be an advancing move and I don't want to lose his useful current 11BB. Why not put 66B+K as as 236A+B again?? Just giving Raph another 236 move wouldn't hurt. 33KB also needs some tracking.
i was meaning in term of tracking not in the command.

The only command i'd like to see changed would be 33KB that is slow as hell with current QS system adding 9 frames to the move because it cannot be used as punisher.
236KB for example would be better.

P.S. note that 33KB whiffs on ADVANCING opponents not on stepping opponents @__@ due to well known alignment problem raph has.

The only command i'd like to see changed would be 33KB that is slow as hell with current QS system adding 9 frames to the move because it cannot be used as punisher.
236KB for example would be better.

P.S. note that 33KB whiffs on ADVANCING opponents not on stepping opponents @__@ due to well known alignment problem raph has.
Buffer it as :6::6::3::K: :B:

I mean I still crap buffer, I do this well by no means, but it's there.

If you want to do 40ish damage at i16 speed, 3B already exists so I don't see the point of 33KB available not from QS.

If I were to ask a single poll:

Would people take prep K BE as hit confirmable (like 6BB BE) or would people take prep K BE with 100% tracking, which one would u choose ?

33KBE is more than 40, also it knocks down differently from 3B its not a small difference.

for me -14 on block prepK with BE hitconfirmable....

But i'll ask it again..wht we have to choose between small buffs when most cast have moves on a complete differeent league?

With those small buffs raph will never be anything that a low tier....maybe not the worst but still not viable compared to most other characters that risks far less and have better rewards....

Fendante A balanced game is a better game for everyone even players not using raph.
Also raph is a fencer, and natsu is a ninja with 2 toothpicks that deals massive damage.

I don t think that aestethic things should impact the gameplay expecially if it ends up unbalancing it.

Raph, like it or not is probably meant to be easy to play but they went terribly wrong mostly because they rushed the game and the lack of data on scIV of the character that was already underused led us to this situation.

When i say that most of his moveset doesn t make sense i compare things like BB, AA, 66A, 3A, stance, even his CE that is his best tool.

In what raph really excels?
6BB that deals really few damage
mobility

That's all even 236B has lost his spot as best long punisher.

So according to you is normal that raph has:

Tracking as weakness trait in a game wheree whiffing equals half health.....(so this is a HUGE weakness)
Lack of powerful fast mids (see above)
lowest damage in the game
NO launchers (excluding 33KBE)
BAD stance game

So we got probably the most severe weaknesses in the game
But what we have been given as couterpart:
-6BB (weak damage)
-good mobility
-a hat

actually i don t want scVI raph >.>
i want scV raph to be good and i even thougt on how to fix him with current patching system (i.e. without changing moves).

Imho as i said i would ask:
-More damage on 6BB (If this has to be our best move lets make really strong not that much just a little)
-prepK -14 on block BE hitconfirmable, unsteppable on HIT from every stance entry (check also TECH STEPS).
-SeA +0 on block
-SE reduce transition
-33KBE should be 236KBE and fix pushback
-66a 100% tracking and faster
-AA should be faster also
-BB should be a faster version of scIV BB post patch
-3A add dmg
-1A add damage
-AB add tracking and advantage (raph cannot exploit a +2 also its not a mixup it should be an antistep and its still blockable on reaction)
-4B fix the move on hit
-3B add pushback
-33A => wrA or FC 3A reduce unsafeness
-44AB => 60 dmg on CH better frames or pushback on block should be the best prep entry being slow
-66B+K shouldn''t whiff on frontal opponents if near, also add guard damage
-prep4 reduce slightly the recvery time
-33KB add some combo being the only launcher....K, 66A for example to say one
-add some sort of combo to 22B excluding 3B serie....maybe at least 66A+B as combo against every character
-add throw range on normal throws
-8B has to hit grounded opponent like scIV
-6K faster TJ

General: remove that awful system that reduce 25 dmg moves when health is low...this system only creates more unbalance being a natural nerf to low damage characters

What i do not want:
Seeing overpowered moves to balance the character to avoid work -.- see 22B into 3B,BB,BE old raph was even worse of current raph in term of design.....

I really think that even givin all those buffs to raph it wouldn't be high tier for 2 reasons:
His weaknesses are really strong probably the most severe possible for how this game works.
And despite those raph has the lowest dmg output, many bad designed moves and whiffing issues.

What i'd ask for a scVI raph?
That namco consider him like an important character as a reward to raph players that have bought the game just to have a clearly uncomplete character.

What people imho fail to realize:
1.01 raph was an insult......his lack of prep stun chains and similar was clearly a proof raph was extremely rushed and not even considered...it was stronger but actually he based on really few moves.
1.02 went in the right direction despite the unnecessary nerf but raph was so bad that needed lot of work and they underestimated the situation.

I'd also like the to ignore all our suggestion but one: the chharacter is unfinished....finish it next patch considering him like a greek >.> in terms of work.
Namco owe that to us (that because raph players payd full price for the game.....)

**edited an error >.> i meant prep K to be -14

But it is a mistake and they should have the balls to admit that. Arc System had no problems admitting their mistakes with Rachel. Why can't Namco too? And people will complain no matter what. There are still people who believe Raphael is overpowered and needs to be nerfed so yeah

I would've told the complainers "look at your characters and tell me who's moves are really broken".

Hopefully those complainers don't use Nightmare or Mitsurugi now.

Anyways what do you guys think about :B+K: ? I kinda have a feeling it should be more similar to the SC3 variant. Then again, that might be a bit broken. :D

It's interesting, because its not a true GI replacement currently because:

1) Does not stop the opponent's attack. Has a chance that the opponent can recover in time before the B+K auto attack fires.
2) Because it does not stop the opponent's string, has a chance of being counter-hit himself.
3) Does not beat mixups, as it cannot counter horizontals or body attacks.
4) active window starts basically at the same frame as when CE becomes invincible (for comparison), so slower than a basic QS.
5) Actually teleports Raph forward so you have higher chance to connect the B+K auto attack (amongst other things).
6) Leads to 90+ damage if you have the meter for CE though, which is respectable for the meter usage, otherwise it is 38 damage into prep (pretty much a 3(B) combo) or BT grab or 2_8B+K mixup. One of Raph's strongest "mixups" clearly.

SC3's version has the interesting ability to re-B+K (or A+K) during the evade animation so you can beat multi-hit strings, which imo would have been cool to see, but hella risky in SC5 due to the damage received if you predict wrong.
B+K currently, to me is like prepK. The move has so much potential, but it has a lot of arbitrary weaknesses and inefficiencies slapped on it to make it near unusable. Then I look at moves like mitsu's 4B or pat's 33B and wonder why namco did the opposite to those moves.

@Darkfender: You have a pretty good list there, but that's a lot and aren't some of those a bit too much??? Prep K -4 on block AND BE hit confirmable with 100% tracking??? You do realize that is making Prep really strong. Non raph fans would probably get salty and cry about it. Prep K already has pushback on block so we can have the tracking and BE confirmation but -12 is okay with me. That would be relatively safe against most characters at range. Also, making SE A 0 on block is basically asking PS to admit their mistake and correct it. SE A is still a strong move and making it -2 to -3 on block is good enough. You can still step and can 4A+B GI fast attacks afterwards.
sorry i asked many times for prepK at -14 it was a typo.
-14 hitconfirmable seems fair.....(it was back in scIV) and 100% tracking ON HIT that is how is supposed to be now but for some glitch it can be evaded on hit on few prep entry and RARE conditions....also it sems some tech steps are able to step it and that's unfair....

SEA should be NEUTRAL <=== they nerfed a low tier without any reason....this was one of raph old staple moves nefing staple moves is bad if the character is weak and the move proved fair in 5 years...
We already RISK A LOT to enter SE and our small reward is having a choice between good moves...
Huge risk no reward is BAD
SeA deals really few damage so having at least neutral on block as it always has been its fair.

They did a mistake everybody knows they owe lot of excuses to us and instead we don t need to find a way out for their pride.....

ScV raph was 20% of a character...scv 1.02 is 40% we need raph to be completed because what we see now are the effects of an unfinished game not balancing problems.....

P.S: scIV Post Patch BB was considered a bad move but having the second B tracking instead of the first like prepatch, had its application.
BB is also really negative on block if not unsafe.

Just like Fendante said, I thought it would be better if :B+K:'s frame windows would be more easier to pull off like SC3's. It could make it easier to deal with predicted blockstrings. The teleport functions you guys mentioned would be a good plus and it makes Raph look more like a threat to those who dont know much about him i guess.

SC3's version of B+K just brings back bad memories. It could have been a useful tool but it was buggy and failed to work against quite a few moves that it should have categorically covered (such as X's 3B). Without going through and checking it against every move in the game it was impossible to know for sure if it would work. At least in SC5 we know why the move fails when it does.

And that buggy and glitched SC3 B+K was more useful than what we have now and that's just sad. This move is virtually useless. Maybe somewhere in a corner with a slow vertical.

What I want to know is how whoever designed Raphael saw this move as anything other than a placeholder. I mean you can't tell me that an experienced designer (or whoever) sat down and said hmm this move is good the way it is. This is a good addition. You just can't. I could have said ok it beats strings/mix ups but the active window is short or has a very strict timing. The risk is high but there is a reward. The reward could be auto attacks or like Fendante said the old VE attacks or whatever. But the way it's right now is for me incomprehensible. Why should I use this move over 22B or why should I ever use this move. Why take the risks instead of side stepping, quick stepping or just blocking. I want to know the idea and thoughts behind this.

Just once do I wish that Raphael is something more than just an afterthough.

@Darkfender: Im sorry then. -14 sounds fine for Prep K as long as it acts as a true horizontal and is BE hit confirmable (it always had 100% tracking, why did they take it away??. We should also have the option of delaying the BE part of it. If we get this buff, our Prep will become much safer as opponents will fear a tracking mid with potential heavy damage. It could also serve its purpose of making them freeze up and not interrupting SE.
best would be prepK becoming i15 (this because 3B is +1), -14 on block, quick steppable if prep was blocked but not steppable 8wrable or Tech stepppable.

If prep hit instead it should track 100% both side. (nor for a 6BB entry nor for a 3B entry and nor for a 44aB entry).

Also BE as said hitconfirmable...i already considered advantage on blockof 3B entry considering prepKi15 but to be perfect 44AB entry needs 1 more frame advantage to avoid HEAVY damage autoanswers.(if there is a 100% answer at least it should be low damage like for nightmare/mitsu etc)

This imho is a fair design....it wouldn t even be OP because opponent has better chances to answer correctly on block and worst if hit.....(so that prep on hit has a reward at least in term of chances)

If i compare this to sieg 6B+K stance or yoshi helicopter (and many others) that are true unreactable 50% its still very weak but at least is usable.

Also seing the animation is still there why not changing B+K in that VE,AA with a strong builtin TS?
Keeping damage low obviously.

No need for the taunt like enabler, and it wouldbe a nice antistep option....still weak but at least usable.....(on block VE aa was terrible....because you could crouch the second A).

A move isn't going to increase in speed by 5 frames, because that would fundamentally change it (it may as well change animation in that case). Safety and unsafety maybe (look at what happened to SE A, a 7 frame change) but the impact frame of the move can't be adjusted without it "hitting" before the animation matches. PrepK being i15 would be the same speed as yoshi's 6K for comparison, so I don't know if you're proposing changing prepK to Raph's current 3K but where he actually realigns or something.

3(B) is now +2 on block , so did Raph get a secret 1 frame buff ? (immediate Prep BB trades with natsu's i10 AA, and prep AB trades with i13 stuff).

All this stuff darkfender is talking about "prep on hit" being unreliable fails to consider this: 3(B) guarnatees at a minimum prepBB in most situations (20 more damage) or even prepAB (30 more damage) and potential further prep pressure.

prepB(B), 6B(B), prepA(B), 44A(B) on hit, pretty much has prepBB BE uninterruptable for 67 damage if the opponent tries anything but TC moves that TC at frames 1-2, or manually crouching and waiting,. Now prepBB is only a NC against those that try to quick-step so maybe that is lacking, and prepAB has range issues which is outside of raph's comfort zone. So no, I don't think prep on hit is an issue outside of hitbox/glitch issues rather than balance issues.

Very knowledgeable. Well, that's why your the MOD haha. So changing the impact doesn't mean the move becomes faster?? Thanks good to know.

No I mean its physically possible, but you'll have to cut out 5 frames of PrepK's animation to match when it "looks" like it hits at the new i15. You don't want the opponent to go flying even before you see Raph start his kick animation, that would be ugly.

Here is something new:

I don't like how moves like prepAB on hit pushes them out to the VERY range that the 2nd hit of AA will whiff (even if the first one hits) if they QS (even though you read their move and made a proper decision).

Same thing as prepAB~prep4~prepKBE.
If you score prepAB, prep4 to retreat (to outrange their WR response), be careful of the range. Sometimes, the 2nd hit of prepKBE may whiff due to the knockback from the first hit.

Talk about about a bad design flaw!

Back