Resident Evil Series Discussion

Ramus

[14] Master
So because in some threads some people were discussing Old RE VS New RE, here it is.
Before anything I will try to make some observations on three very different games of the series, also mind you that yes I played all this games and made some kind of study before doing this, also I may comment on some characters that were added in the series. May contain spoilers.

Resident Evil 5-
The game that was too bulky for an action game and too...not scary for a well horror game.
When you think about Survival Horror you think in ammo correct usage and narrow passes dark places and creatures that make you feel uneasy in some way. Resident Evil 5 lacked this, the main enemies are the Majini humans infected by a parasite, the main problem about them is that they are too much human like, you are simply shooting at angry mobs of humans, the mutations that they suffer are somewhat gross but nothing that will make you that much uneasy, unlike Ganados, they don't harbor a sickly look or red eyes, or an more creepy design, like the Zealots back in Resident Evil 4 (Cult Members with goats masks and robes and all the zealotry stuff.)
The game was always awfully well lit and the places were always open, the fact that you could simply buy a rocket launcher to finish up every boss lessened any means that the game had to put up tension.
If I remember right the only enemies that made somewhat unease were the lickers, and only because there was like hundreds of them in a very short time spawn.
Overall the game wasn't able to create any real tension, you characters were always well armed and the enemies could be easily dealt with.
The DLC Lost in Nightmares deserves some praise though, it was a charming way to activate nostalgia related feelings.
There is two worthy mentioning new characters.

Sheva Alomar-
While her story is pretty nice, her development during the game is lackluster, but this is because the story of the game is very lackluster. She is your typical, strong minded though girl, nothing very especial, but I do hope she reappears in future games, mostly because I can see potential on her.

Excella Gionne-
Nice curvy flirty villain, while I am all about more villains in Resident Evil, Excella was there to show her cleavage and some high heels action (The Mercenaries.) An egomaniac woman, she had potential to be somewhat like the new head behind the evil medical company, (Tricell.) But Capcom have something against beautiful woman, she was put to waste. Potential wasted.

Resident Evil Revelations-
What it seems to be what people like the most about a Resident Evil game.
The tension in this game is amazing, ammo is somewhat scarce, especially when it comes to the weapons that you will really be needing in a boss battle, the creatures are very interesting, putting less human enemies with a more gross appearance.
During the game you will find yourself conserving ammo, out of herbs, lacking grenades, so yes you will be very careful with your actions, making the game feels like an old Survival Horror game, but with a better gameplay.
The story is pretty good, because it builds itself on many points of views of the same time, the past present and future occurs in harmony, like they were happening all at the same time, creating a very exciting turn out of events. The slow passed, and the fact that even while you are playing Jill the story envelops more in Jessica, Parker and Raymond, breath fresh air in the series.
The biggest downside is how the port could have added much more than it did.
Also, Raid Mode is very fun, it adds the action to the ones that find it the most fun in the newer Resident Evil.
There is three worthy mentioning characters, and one bonus because I like her.

Jessica Sherawat-
Sexy agent, she definitely is not dressed for the occasion, most of her designs screams fanservice, but the character itself is nice, acting very flirty and sexy towards almost everyone she got at the same time the feeling that she is not showing all her cards. And in her first time around she was already a triple agent, I really hope to see more of her in the future games.

Parker Luciani-
Parker drips charisma, he is a chubby guy who is not trying to pose as a bad ass, and at some point even begged for his life saying he would work for the villains, this make him extremely....well human, you feel connected to the character because you feel he is good, and well he seems to be a pretty nice guy. I guess this makes sense, I do hope to see him in the future.

Raymond Vester.-
The guy have a creepy face, he seems to be studying the environment and the people, in a polar opposite to Parker you don't feel like you could trust this guy, he seems a bit of an anti-hero but in a very lesser way than, lets say Ada. He also was working with Jessica in a very complex thread, triple agents because now this is a thing. Like the other two I can see him in future games...or so I hope.

Rachael Foley-
Also known as girl with no eyes, blonde girl with huge....cleavage and breasts running around, fanservice.
But now now, she was more than this, Rachael was such tragic and sympathetic character that I became very fond of her, she was scared, she didn't wish to go on this mission, she was just there, a victim of causality. In many ways her tragic ending and the fact she kept suffering after her death makes you feel sorry for her, especially when she is so cheerful on Raid Mode. (Adds salts to the wound when she cries and asks for help as an enemy.

Resident Evil 6-
Hate or Love factor.
The game is huge, and this is the main reason why it made many mistakes and did many great things.
Yes the game is action based, more Action Horro and all, more in Leon/Helena and Ada's campaign, now in Resident Evil 6 defense, Resident Evil was always about bioterrorism, so it became global everyone running against the clock to stop the bad guys, explosions, Ustanaks, two Adas Wong, ammo dropping from the sky. But at least tragedy and death was a prominent factor, the characters were always under enormous pressure, I know, few puzzles a lot of killing, but hey at least it was harder this time around.
The enemies were some gross mutations, nothing that scary, still better than 5.
The story is very emotional, many characters are more humanized, Chris suffers from P.T.S, and loss of memories, Helena lost her sister, feels responsible for the president's death and is thirst for vengeance, there is so much one can take, Jake is pressure because the fate of many people is on his blood, especially when he mature more and start thinking about everyone who is danger and what in the moment was really important. Ada, well she is the one that shows how much of a tool this ordeal was,
"We are above sympathy at this point, we are above humanity." Almost crying while destroying the shadows of what, for some time was herself.
The extra modes are very fun, I will be honest I am a mercenaries junkie since Resident Evil 4.
There is four worthy new characters.

Piers Nivans-
For some reason I always liked Piers, he is very professional soldier, and only wants what is better for the B.S.S.A, in many occasions he shows to be very careful, lowering his guard only if was something really important was happening. His death was very tragic, the boss battle and the ending shows that he would rather die than sacrifice another person's life.

Helena Harper-
She is there to kick some serious ass, the woman was very strong minded, enough to accept prison as long as she could take the responsible down, her interactions with Leon, makes me think her as "One of the Boys" somewhat like a mature tomboy girl. Her aggressiveness makes her more fresh than other females that in many ways, were always very analytically and calm. When she tells Leon to go after Ada, shows that she understand Leon better than what one would expect. I do hope she will reappear in future games.

Jake Muller-
He is you typical bad ass, don't get me wrong, his development is very natural, boys meets a girl and he starts to see thing through a more "innocent" point of view, it is not the most original story ever, but work as ever. Ada puts better, "The rookies." I think he will reappear along with Sherry in the future.

Carla Radames-
Lets say that she wrote her own book on vengeance, epic villain, one person betrayed her trust, she sets of on destroying everything that the person held dear, when this thing is world stability it make everything more dangerous. I could see her appearing more in the future, too bad another villain to waste.

Overview-
Resident Evil is a great series, new games and old games, both have it charms, I don't see changes a bad thing, but if you do well this thread is for this. A healthy discussion on this series, that happens to be tied with Calibur as my favorite game series.

i love the resident evil series. i agree on most of the opinions i see here. hopefully this thread won't die cause RE is a damn good series. you did forget to mention the movies though but then again you only discussed the last two games that were released (excluding RE:ORC). i think RE:ORC was just a testing game. it had great potential and still, arguably, has the best trailer ever made. but it just seemed like it was rushed. the two factions never actually meet in game, which was a shame, and the story was poor. i'm still a fan of the older RE games like REmake. if all the games could get that done to them i'd play all in a heart beat. i don't mind the new style. especially, with how free the RE6 characters felt but the story just took a nose dive from 4. without Umbrella the devs for RE didn't know what to write anymore, it seems.

I think with Resident Evil 4 they realized how stupid the whole story was and just decided to have fun with it. Shit, they have a Napolean-esque midget who Leon taunts back and forth equivalent to two retards slap-fighting each other. RE5 was basically a shorter RE4 but even more over-the-top and less intuitive. RE6 was so full-blown, I'm amazed they were still willing to still label the game survival-horror at that point.

Although Revelations was a breath of fresh air in terms of feeling tense, only the first tenth of the game actually had it. RE3 and RE4 IMO remain the two best Resident Evils to date.

EDIT:
Rachel is still my top waifu

Last edited:
You see, Resident Evil 3, in my opinion had one of the most confusing plots in the series.
I can see why people think the horror of the game is lacking, but them again people get confused by Nostalgia, don't get me wrong but, most people first played this game series by the first time in a very young age and expect the same feeling.

I think after the very first Resident Evil, it should be expected that the series never really had a stable (or good) storyline to begin with. I try not to dwell on the story with Resident Evil 3 because the gameplay is so good. Not to mention RE3 argueably had the best boss in the history of Resident Evil games. Nemesis.

i don't understand why a lot of people say that RE4 was one of the best RE games. i highly disagree. the gameplay was addicting and very well done, yes, because it was pretty much the first of its kind to feature that over the shoulder-aim with laser sight. it laid the line for many other games to do the same. (i.e. dead space) RE3 is good. i won't deny it. but i still say that REmake was the best hands down in terms of atmosphere, characters, environment, and plot to a certain extent. i like the story of RE2 because it gave insight to a lot of what was going on. plus also gave birth to two of RE's most popular characters, Leon and Claire. not to mention the start of Ada's stalking routine that she will continue for years to come.

what i wish is that the devs would read the RE novels and make those legit canon stories. those are still some of my favorite books i've ever read. that Caliban Cove is one of my favorite novels period. It had one of my favorite characters, Rebecca, in it as well as giving a good time of events that happened between the mansion incident and the Raccoon City incident. Rebecca was in another book that didn't relate to any of the games but that book wasn't as good. but if no one has read the books then i'd high advise it. i'm just sad that the books are no longer being made. :(

At first I thought "why would people take RE's story seriously, or even consider it to be a good story?"

Then I remembered that people love the Soul Calibur story.

Then I cried.

Back