Roguelike Thread @--> k

Kvasir

[10] Knight
For those who don't know, Roguelikes are games similar to the classic 80s game Rogue. They aren't terribly well defined aside from that, but you can reliably expect tactical turn-based fights, a randomized environment, a random assortment of enemies and items, and a permanent end to your adventure.

Anyone who hasn't tried out some should give'em a go, as many of the best are free. A few good ones that are relatively easy to get into are Brogue, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, and Dungeons of Dredmor. Just remember that even though it's often possible to "win", it's not expected. The point is to have fun with whatever the game throws at you, learn, and try again.

So list your favorites, tell anecdotes, give/ask for advice, rant, gush, whatever as long as it's Roguelike related.

I'm not a huge fan, but I have been working on a similar game.

Can't find an artist, though, so bleh.....

I play Nethack very occasionally. Nothing really beats running the ASCII version of Nethack fullscreen on a large television. I have never managed to ascend though.

I play Nethack very occasionally. Nothing really beats running the ASCII version of Nethack fullscreen on a large television. I have never managed to ascend though.
I've been close many times, but the random numbers god has it out for me. Not an easy game, no sir.

Nethack is a RL I never took time to get into. Mainly because I have enough on my plate, but what I've heard of straight forward enemies/items and of huge amounts of necessary spoilers play a role too. Been left with a, mostly baseless, impression that the game has very limited effective play styles.

Anyone care to counter these rumors, and tell me what it does better than others in the genre?

Adom and Dungeon Crawl are my favorites. I like Adom's world / overall game structure, and the corruption system serves to constantly push the game forward instead of encouraging sitting around and scumming for stuff (grr Angband). Both of these are also pretty fair games, there's few instances where you die and not feel like it wasn't because of a mistake on your end. They're also fairly straightforward to figure out entirely on your own.

Dwarf Fortress's adventure mode is fun roguelike-type game too, though its not really a complete game on its own yet.

I used to like Nethack a fair amount, but, once you learn its tricks, its almost impossible to lose at it (barring random wands of death and the such at the beginning of the game).

I'll often be playing some roguelike on my computer (or other turn-based game) while waiting between matches in SC. Helps pass the boredom of waiting for a new opponent and lets one be a lot pickier about what connection speeds one will accept without getting bored. (SC5 is mildly annoying in that it doesn't have as loud/distinguishable of a sound when someone joins your lobby as SC4 did)

I tried to emulate you a bit, Andur, but pulling off some decent RL play between SC matches is surprisingly difficult for me, lol.

Anyway, I'd recommend the Roguelike Radio podcast to anyone with interest in these games.

Back