Save Soul Calibur

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked yun's moveset it reminded me alot of Hwang's moveset(and i was a hwang user back in SC1) but Yun just seemed to come off as an idiot to me :/

Am I the only one that actually liked the character?
I despised the fact that he spent 2 games doing the same thing, causing Seong Mina to follow him for 2 games as well.

But overall, he wasn't a bad character. Quite flexible. lol

Okay, after watching today's tournament and the turn out for SC5 at EVO, do we believe that the SC Community looks more united than ever? And now that France has been eliminated, do any of you believe that it's America's time to reclaim the top spot in the game? I know there had to be a lot of players there to show their full support but tell me what you all think so far.

I honestly don't see why the series would need saving at this point. So what if they fucked up regarding single-player content? The competitive aspect of this game is stronger than ever. Hell, look where we are right now - EVO, baby. The only real problem I have with the gameplay is Guard Impact costing meter.

The XBL/PSN/random social network community might say different, but who the fuck cares? News flash: about 80% of the people who play the game online are either weeaboos, scrubs who bitch whenever they lose, or moronic assholes. We, the people who have united to talk about the game, are the other 20%. It should not matter what those sheep think of the game, it should matter what we, the real fans, the people who can enjoy the game as it is and unite as a true community because they love it no matter what happens, think of it.

Bottom line: the series is not on thin ice, and it's not going to die anytime soon unless higher powers dictate it so.

I honestly don't see why the series would need saving at this point. So what if they fucked up regarding single-player content? The competitive aspect of this game is stronger than ever. Hell, look where we are right now - EVO, baby. The only real problem I have with the gameplay is Guard Impact costing meter.

The XBL/PSN/random social network community might say different, but who the fuck cares? News flash: about 80% of the people who play the game online are either weeaboos, scrubs who bitch whenever they lose, or moronic assholes. We, the people who have united to talk about the game, are the other 20%. It should not matter what those sheep think of the game, it should matter what we, the real fans, the people who can enjoy the game as it is and unite as a true community because they love it no matter what happens, think of it.

Bottom line: the series is not on thin ice, and it's not going to die anytime soon unless higher powers dictate it so.
well stated, but the series is indeed in trouble. when a game's sales are as disappointingly low as SC5's, it draws the attention of the "higher powers", and not in a good way :( $$$ talks, remember. and on a side note, i fear for the series if its future is in the hands of people whose judgement is poor enough to make them think handling the single player aspect of the game the way they did was actually a good idea...

still, it is great to see the turnout for SC5 at EVO...here's to the success and future of SC :)

How are everyone enjoying the finals? Japan and Singapore came to play and they showed that they are here for this game. American players gave it their all but Shining Decopon of Singapore was just too damn good, even with a nerfed character like Tira. So what do you all think?

Why not? :P
I'm one of those guys who likes having a relatively discernable story when it comes to fighting games. I like Soul Calibur because I like the characters. Its fun because I feel like the characters actually have a semblance of personality. (I know, it's not much, but play SC, then play Tekken and you'll know what I mean).
I'll give Virtua Fighters credit for being a balanced, fluid fighting games, but I just can't get into it. My friends and I really tried to like it, but I just ended up not giving a shit about any of the characters, which led me to not give a shit about the game. If Soul Calibur becomes a no-frills fighting game that caters only to the competitive crowd like Virtua Fighter, then this series will be dead to me.

I'm one of those guys who likes having a relatively discernable story when it comes to fighting games. I like Soul Calibur because I like the characters. Its fun because I feel like the characters actually have a semblance of personality. (I know, it's not much, but play SC, then play Tekken and you'll know what I mean).
Tekken doesn't make sense to me, I don't see how people think it's fun. SC characters to me are just personified cliches.
I'll give Virtua Fighters credit for being a balanced, fluid fighting games, but I just can't get into it. My friends and I really tried to like it, but I just ended up not giving a shit about any of the characters, which led me to not give a shit about the game. If Soul Calibur becomes a no-frills fighting game that caters only to the competitive crowd like Virtua Fighter, then this series will be dead to me.
95% of Fighting Games don't have a story they just consider the wall of text at the end of arcade mode a story, I don't get it. If I'm looking for a character's personality I see it in their fighting style and battle quotes. Not to mention since FG characters are so shallow, you can tell their personality just by looking at them.

Technically, VF does have a story, as shown in the manual. There is also a video on it too. However, that is all where it is.

That's pretty much where most of their personality comes from. For example, Brad Burns and his absolute crush on Aoi, Lau and his sickness. Pai also had a rivalry with her father at one point, until she saved him from almost getting killed by Lei-Fei.

Here's to hoping SC takes the path VF did. xD
I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. Namco can't afford to take the Sega route, SC and VF are very different in terms of demographics. The reason why VF is still alive is because it's one of Japan's most played arcade games, unlike SC, that isn't even in arcades anymore. This series depends on the money of the casuals, if a new game comes out it's gonna have to be extremely heavy on single player content, or we can kiss the series good bye. We didn't do too bad on EVO, so we still have one more chance.

Besides, I don't understand why we can't have a fighter that is good at both the competitive and the casual levels. I mean, MK did it, Blazblue did it, and more importantly: SC1 DID IT. And considering the great job PS did in one year, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to pull it off -as long as they don't rush the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back