SCIIHDO Necrid Tournament Legality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooofmatic

World Warrior
Necrid has been confirmed to return by SC's new producer Hoshino-san at the Namco panel at Comic-Con. So for us tournament enthusiasts his tournament legality may be something that is worth discussing and re-evaluating.

Back in the old SC forum days 10 years ago, we had a community "leader". He was employed by Namco I believe as a "community manager" and his name was WCMaxi. He basically dictated the rules and declared a ban on Necrid for the reason of "because fuck Necrid". Now I think back then people assumed Necrid was broken because he had a lot of the best moves from various characters, but I'm not really sure if his supposed "brokenness" was ever proven.

Here is a video showcasing his command list:

Now there's always the possibility that Project Soul will balance/tweak command lists, but for now let's just assume that it will remain the same as the original.

Should we let Necrid have a chance at tournaments before declaring him broken and banned? Or should we carry on the tradition of banning him "because fuck Necrid"?

I think both him and Heihachi should be legal for tournaments. Namco put the time into making the characters (albeit 10 years ago) and they should be allowed in high level play. Besides, this time we're not talking about a CaS-style like DJ either.

I tend to agree with leaving Necrid unbanned and seeing what happens. I kind of remember the community discussion about banning him being more centered around the idea that "he's stupid" rather than any real evidence he was degenerate. His moveset was strong, but I don't think there was ever any real proof he was stronger than X/Ivy/Yoshi.

Heihachi on the other hand had stuff like the i13 (I think) mid WGF and forced hit on 9KK block that seemed problematic. I don't know if he was ever really proven to be broken either, but he had moves that felt out of line with the rest of the characters, so he maybe should stay banned.

Once people start whining about stepguard, 2G and Xianghua, the game will die again in the tournament scene just like all the other old fighters re-released this gen. (Mvc2, 3S, Darkstalkers etc.) I say for the short time this game will live, make Necrid tournament legal along with Heihachi.

I tend to agree with leaving Necrid unbanned and seeing what happens. I kind of remember the community discussion about banning him being more centered around the idea that "he's stupid" rather than any real evidence he was degenerate. His moveset was strong, but I don't think there was ever any real proof he was stronger than X/Ivy/Yoshi.

Heihachi on the other hand had stuff like the i13 (I think) mid WGF and forced hit on 9KK block that seemed problematic. I don't know if he was ever really proven to be broken either, but he had moves that felt out of line with the rest of the characters, so he maybe should stay banned.
i14 actually. EWGF itself is techincally i11 but the crouch dash adds three frames, in tekken Kazuya's PEWGF is i13 because of MS, so in theory yolo hopkick is launch punishable vs Kaz; also, god I miss mid EWGF, need more TTT1 in my system, lol.

We allowed Necrid in michigan. I even played him a little. Tourney time comes, no one picks him. I really don't think we should worry about him anymore.

As far as the Heihachi 9KK glitch, you could beat it with jumping attacks after blocking it. DAMNIT GUYS THAT WAS MY SECRET, ARE YOU HAPPY?

As far as the Heihachi 9KK glitch, you could beat it with jumping attacks after blocking it. DAMNIT GUYS THAT WAS MY SECRET, ARE YOU HAPPY?

Neat, didn't know that.

Eh, go ahead and allow them both, it'll be fun to see what they can do.

For the record, "fuck Necrid" was never an official stance and the pattern of banning characters stood because arcade versions were the default in that era and console exclusive characters represented a disruptive element for the tournament scene build on the arcade's back. In this era, the arcade base is gone, so that thinking no longer applies.

I would recommend focusing efforts on recovering lost knowledge ahead of this. Oh... and, SC2HD isn't even on SRK =/

(Also, I am not, nor ever was, a "community manager" and my statements then and now only represent my personal opinion.)

Thanks for the response WC, and I apologize for misrepresenting you in the original post.

I think WCMaxi pretty much settled this issue now. Mods please close this thread, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back