SCIV Ivy General Discussion & FAQ

Ivy General Discussion (Post Random Stuff Here)

The number of Unsafe moves, and her lack of Advantage after MOST of her attacks just gives me next to no reason to Stay in Coil ... I just wish that Coil served a purpose, because it feels like it was added in last minute.

I can clearly tell from your posts that you know this game on a level much deeper than I, but here's my 2 cents anyways. I don't think Coil was added in at the last minute. I don't think that Namco meant for you to have a reason to stay in Coil. It's a very weak and general stance... does all things, and none of them very well. You're meant to have to get into the other stances to do serious damage... only this time around, you have to choose whether to go down the chart into SW and SE or up the chart into WP. Your choice in every match will be critical. And if you want to mix SW/SE and WP moves in a single round, well... you're going to have to be a genius at CL in order to pull that off, because you're going to have to pass back through CL in order to switch it up, most times.

I think that if Ivy turns out to be as badass as she was in 2, it will only be in the hands of people that can think 5-6 moves ahead... no mean feat, in my opinion you're pretty badass if you can even think 3-4 moves ahead in a fighting game.

All in all, I think that Namco thinks of Ivy players as some of the most hardcore at figuring out some complicated-ass-flowchart-shit in order to be effective. SC4 Ivy is a new puzzle, a harder one than we've been given before. I'm currently regarding the new (albeit wierd) Ivy as a compliment and a testament and faith in our addiction to high learning curve.

I tend to jump back and fourth into CL, bcos there r some great pokes which SW and WP could really use to compliment. Ill just jump into specifics for a few good CL pokes.

CL 3A is pretty good against step. I do wish that is in SW anyday. Cos SW's horizontals just dont cut it. SW 66A is too slow at close range. I'd jump back into that from SW.

CL 2B is the old SW 2B. Her fast, good vertical poke. This also should have been part of SW. I'd jump back into CL for this. Tho if Im in WP, WP 2B is better in range. So its fine.

CL 6B TC and does good soul gauge dmg and pushback. Despite that SW 66A also gives pushback, this is safer.

CL WS B is the move which both WP and SW needs. Relatively her fastest/ranged WS vertical apart from WS K. This is a tool worth using as SW and WP WS B's purpose are mainly for dmg.

CL 66A still closes in fast, unlike SW 66B which is much slower than b4. despite being -11, its still useful.

cl 214B is ridiculous, period. her best tool, if not one of the best, imo.

cl 214B is ridiculous, period. her best tool, if not one of the best, imo.

I personally think that move is TERRIBLE. Its SOOOO unsafe. If its blocked its free WHATEVER. Its better if you transition to SE but even then...

Her best tool is SW FC 3B

I guess 214b isn't that safe but the step definitely helps. I've found i can dodge most verticals with it. Also, if you take it into SE you've got a lot of options. My favorite is to train them to block high with :K: spam and then do 2:A:+:K: into WP. From there it's all about 6:A:+:B: and 214:A: and 4:A:+:B:
I guess none of those moves are safe and my roommates taki has been beating on me, but it still feels good to land any of those moves.

SE 2A+K (or is it SE 2A?) is easy to block on reaction and quite punishable. IMO the only move that can force your opponent to duck when you're in SE is SE A but... it deals only 5 dmg.

SE 2A+K (or is it SE 2A?) is easy to block on reaction and quite punishable. IMO the only move that can force your opponent to duck when you're in SE is SE A but... it deals only 5 dmg.

Not if you follow up with the 236/214 B thing.

It's not even a combo because SE A gives an escapable stun. I'll quote myself from sc.com:

The problem with SE A is the following:
- Ivy doesn't use the JF -> you break the stun and punish
- Ivy uses the JF -> you break the stun and GI

The only threat from this move in high-level fights is that 'free' damage she gets from it. So it's only useful at the end of the round.

Link has posted in his FD that SE A alone is -17 on hit. Free iGDR, anyone?

yea SW 214K twice does more damage than just doing a SW 3B, Lick...

Lick is getting useless in terms of damage...

But it still catches Taki's vanish stance (the new one)

So, i'm gettign my shit back together against my roommate. However, I just started messing around with Sophitia. She kicks so much ass compared to Ivy. I barely know any mores and I win all the time. Ivy just seems like a lot more work than any other character right now. The only real benefit seems to be that not many people are good at fighting against an ivy since no one plays her because she is so much work. I still think she's fun and has cool moves, but I think i'm going to abandon her as my main.

On a different notes: Have any of you actually been able to pull off CS/ss reliably? I still have yet to pull it off in practice mode.

I agree with majority here, and definitely say that SC2 Ivy was a monster. The moves that I could buffer, and that other players that I saw could buffer with SS/CS was crazy!! The stances were easy to transition into and there were plenty of moves in each stance that left you in a different stance while still leaving the ability for complex attack patterns. SC3 Ivy was very good, but it was not seemingly apparent at first. She still lacks the versatility that SC2 Ivy, but I think that was a consequence of trying to balance all of the characters and the game as well. While still ajusting to SC4 Ivy and still reserving judgement until all the results are avalibale; however, I still think versatility has been lost, but I could be wrong. I think it's a offering on to gods of balance and fair play, but I still think it sux!!! SC2 Ivy for life!!

SW stance ivy dominates any character in the game that wants to play at close or close/mid range. Her SW 3B is absolutely godly; safe, quick, mid that crushes guard well, gives huge advantage on hit and stupid damage on CH. You could simply bait CH on this move all day and nothing more come out 50/50 with good players.

I think people need to look into her SW A+B. it seems bad at first, but i think this move is hidden gold. With no charge its a safe horizontal mid that does great damage on hit, rings out, and MURDERS guard. Also can be charged to make it an unstepable UB, although you WILL be poked out of it due to the startup, best to just release it early. Ive been throwing out the UB version after SW WS B combo instead of the CL 236BB. It catches people who just tech up right away and leaves them little time to react. Not perfect but if you dont do it often, it can work well. As a bonus if you start doing it it makes people stay on the ground after the WS B combo for a SW 1_2_3A+B

Wow, that is an excellent strategy dude. I try to bait people into falling for the WP 214A unblockable all the time after CL A+B, A+K (I mix it in with WP 66A+B).

Actually WP 214 A charges abit faster now...

and since it is a tech crouch, it can be of some use...

bait for a high and use it...definitely very satisfying after landing one...

and oh use it for wake up games as well...that is...WP 214A on range so you dun get punish easily...

you're killin me here.

WP 214 A? The big slow spinning HIGH unblockable?

Please tell me that no one takes this....ever.

you have time to wiff a high and STILL duck in time. Seems like punishment waiting to happen imo. Bad move. Do not want.

WP 214A is pretty much useful, it can sometimes be a finisher. The thing I like about it is that you can cancel and re-do the move very quickly since a lot of experts see it coming.

i wholeheartedly disagree. the only thing you will ever see this move for in high level play is for its cancel as a 'fake out' even then youll rarely ever see it. the move is bad and if you insist on using it, good players will make you regret it.

I think the move is just as useful as SW 1A. THE HIGH!

If I'm not wrong, SW 1A is a very quick high attack. If so, then it is actually useful. It's Ivy's quickest move so it's used for punishing.

Back