SCV CAS Chinese Character Translation Thread

@norik​
and one last thing:​
- japanese kanji character forms are a mixture of traditional hanzi, simplified hanzi, and forms specific to Japan. I already named 2 characters that have specific japanese forms (気, 楽). Furthermore, most of the stickers could be classified as traditional hanzi (that is, majority of the stickers' japanese kanji have trad hanzi form). However, some characters (like body 体) are simplified (traditional ones being 軆 and ). So, if these were chanese hanzi, I guess it would make no sense to mix traditional and simplified characters, the calligrapher would probably choose the traditional ones all the way​

@ TheFool : Finally! An update! ^.^

...But why isn't this thread stickied yet? I'm puzzled since there's a lot of good info in here. =/

In any case, I humbly thank you for the update, TheFool. m(_ _)m

@ Wandrian : Now that IS an interesting tidbit! I'll try it out some time....

Thanks for the info! m(_ _)m

I think it should be moved to the CaS section and stickied. Then the information would be where people would be expecting it to be and would be easier to access. It may be pretty important to someone who wants to give their CaS a Japanese symbol and actually know what it means. :P

I agree with Luneth.
Not everyone playing SC in interested in CaS -> not everyone using CaS is interested in kanji stickers -> not everyone using kanji stickers is interested in their meaning. The target group may be too selected.

edit: @Lonewolf_Kai:
You're welcome ;)

@Luneth
Very elegant way to preserve our collective knowledge, be sure to post a lot all over the forum ;)

Nice final touches on the list too. Just do me one more favor, and add 'to hide' and 'shinobi' to this kanji 忍 (#146, Back frame #7) - for the purpose of creating 2-character compounds, I think that it will match very well the 'person', 者, creating ninja 忍者, and also may stand alone as a 'shinobi'
And change Wind, Forest, Volcano into 'Wind, Forest, Fire, Mountain' - I'm pretty sure this is Takeda Shingen's war motto (post #37)

cheers!

Teh thread shall live in my sig for the time being, then =P

Hmm... I suppose you're right.... =/

No use crying over spilled milk, I guess. Thanks again to both you and TheFool for doing most of the major work for the rest of us players! We're eternally grateful to you both...! m(_ _)m

Posting to say thank you for the epic detective work in getting all this info down as well as to bump this thread cause I too think it should be stickied somewhere. I like the idea of it being stickied in the CAS section.

Haha, been a long time since I checked this thread. "Moe" (mou-ee) means character appeal/cuteness iirc

Weird. I was thinking about this thread earlier. Psychic bump.

I think it should be moved to the CaS section and stickied. Then the information would be where people would be expecting it to be and would be easier to access. It may be pretty important to someone who wants to give their CaS a Japanese symbol and actually know what it means. :P

This.

Teh thread shall live in my sig for the time being, then =P

Or PM KokoYoshi / UnseenWombat. The CaS/Casual sort-of-mods respectively. Might be they could sort it.

Pardon my idiocracy, but what are (or is a) back frame characters? Trying to figure out how to put yoshi's 8th (back frame) character on my CaS.

Pardon my idiocracy, but what are (or is a) back frame characters? Trying to figure out how to put yoshi's 8th (back frame) character on my CaS.

It means the picture frames when using the Shoot Picture option. The 'back' frames will appear behind your character and can be obscured by them, the 'front' frames are the opposite.

I was digging into Japanese baby names for a friend of mine and it reminded me of this page. i realized that we might be looking at some of these characters with the wrong perspective. Other than the literal translations of the words, which sometimes don't mean much. they should be taken into context as actual Japanese names. Check out this site to understand what I mean.

Sakura - yes means cherry blossom - but it's also a girls name.
So is Midori, so is Moe, etc...

When you look at the the names for males
正 = Tadashi.. which is a male name.

I know some people out there might be trying to piece characters together to make a name, but as you can see, there are names for boys and for girls, and you probably wouldn't want to end up putting "雪= Yuki... Snow" in front of anything on an Sigfried character, because it usually is a girls name.

Hope this resource helps!

although You are technically correct, I don't think we were looking at the characters from the wrong perspective.
After all, why do Japanese choose certain characters for names? because of their meaning.
Virtually any character with neutral or better yet positive meaning can be used in a name (Ive seen some really weird ones), and to make things worse, they have multiple, often more than ten different readings for names only (besides traditional readings specified in jouyou kanji list). so 正 can also be read as 'shou'. In fact, here is the list of possible readings from a kanji dictionary:

aki, akira, osa, kami, kimi, sada, shou, sei, taka, tada, tadashi, tadasu, tsura, nao, nobu, ma, masa, masashi, yoshi

Let me be clear - these are readings of a single character 正. nineteen of them
You cannot expect us to give all possible readings to these kanji, and frankly people wouldnt care much. Japanese themselves often cannot read other peoples names, they wait for them to introduce themselves or look at the business card to see the furigana. this is because of the multitude of readings. So its better to just stick to character meanings.

Following your thought process we could also create surnames, like tanaka 田中 susuzki 鈴木 and so forth,
but, you must realize, that this thread would have to have over 1000 pages to talk about readings and use of kanji in names in detail. its not possible.

another thing is, although one-character names are common, so are character compounds. Creating them would be quite difficult.

Furthermore, many female names are written in hiragana only. for instance ゆかり.
there are no stickers for hiragana, obviously.

so to sum things up, it is still more meaningful (pun intended) to look at the meanings. after all, thats what Japanese people do when choosing names. Providing 'name' readings for characters in this thread would only be confusing and transform a fairly enjoyable sticker fun into a chore. Thanks for the link I will check it out!

cheers

EDIT
I wouldnt worry too much about 'yuki' for Siegfried. Some names in japanese can be given to both sexes. And You can even find cases of males with female names and vice versa. A good example here would be 'shizuka'. if You ask a japanese person about that name, almost anyone will answer its a female name. However, one of the greatest authorities on kanji in Japan was late Shirakawa Shizuka, male.

Last edited:
Back