Setsuka Issues

Something-Unique

[10] Knight
This thread is for feedback based on constant switching between HDTV's and SDTV's. I am considering using Setsuka as a serious second main but I find the lag disparities transferring between multiple TV's to be a major issue.

One moment I can do all her moves just fine and at another time on a different TV I can't. Is there any particular method to fix this problem that i'm not thinking about because in a tournament environment its unacceptable and kind of makes her useless in that regard.

Other than that i'm curious on other Setsuka players feedback.

This problem is very well known, and it's annoying as hell.

Really, the only way to get around it is to do it completely with muscle memory.

And the only way you can really do that is close your eyes while practicing them. It's impractical, but if you want to get around the problem, I suppose it's worth it.

At the mo, the only one that really gives me trouble when switching TVs is 1A:A:A. If the lag change is significant, others might get screwed up, but that's just how it goes with her.

People might remember that this is what I've been saying is *the* most difficult thing to learn with Setsuka, and is what makes her the most difficult character to master. It's not her JFs that are hard, though I can understand the issue people have with those. The most difficult thing about her is the ability to transition from TV to TV and be able to execute properly.

*cue flashback*

I remember mastering her JFs on my TV and being quite competent and comfortable executing without a thought. Then soon enough, during one of KrayzieCD's early gatherings, I discovered I could not execute worth a damn, and it was frustrating. When I arrived home that same night, just to be sure, I double-checked all of my Setsuka execution and everything was coming out the way it should be. So there definitely was a problem.

Fast forward about six months or so, I don't remember how long, but Suirad was visiting Norcal and was staying at Krayzie's for a while. I dropped by for a visit to play him, and discovered my execution with Setsuka pretty much needed no warm-up time. Execution was just fine almost immediately, and prior to this, I haven't even been playing Calibur for a month. I switched to Krayzie's other TV later on (he has a CRT and an HDTV) and everything was fine there as well.

So what did I do during that time then?

This is not going to sound practical, but lucky for me, I have access to two LCD HDTVs here, and one SDTV CRT. One of the LCD HDTVs has some lag, the other HDTV has even less lag, and then there's the CRT. Over time, I was able to do JFs on all three of these TVs without needing much adjustment time at all. Also, occasionally, I practiced her JFs with my eyes closed and the audio muted, and soon enough, it just became second nature.

The one tricky thing however, would be her command throw into umbrella on different TVs. I use a visual cue for that, and I've seen roughly three different visual cues on different sets with different lag:

1. Roughly during her 5th slash after the middle of the movement
2. During her 5th slash toward the end of her movement
3. After her 5th slash has completed.

It requires a bit of an educated guess and confirm, and is what is most tricky for me.

This is why I would say she is the most difficult character to master. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna try some of these methods and see what happens. Any other advice would help as well.

Yea, I actually have this same problem... Pretty much, playing on any HDTV above like 23'' is gonna give some input lag that will throw u off from playing on an SDTV... Playing on a like a 40'' HDTV though is out of the question, you might as well play online... I play on 27'' HDTV so the lag isn't too bad, but what I do is try to kind of get a muscle memory for the JF inputs.. If you've got that down, it won't be so hard to adjust to the lag difference between TV's...

Lag with tvs can really makes a setsuka go from top level to mediocre really quickly. I'm going to have to agree with what destinizish said before hand, muscle memory. Also, if you have the chance, play some casuals on these tv's just to be sure about where the lag is, some will obviously be heavier than others so just get a feel of it. Also, if you REALLY care that much, try some online matches. I was lucky enough to be able to make the differences in the inputs muscle memory that I can call apon when I am playing either or.

So yeap, try that. I saw some videos of you vs MGVfinest though, you're okay but you're missing some key elements to setsuka that go beyond just-frames. But it comes with practice and I know you'll get it.

Good luck.

Actually this is only a real problem if you're playing on ps3.
On 360, the lag isn't that important and changing TVs don't bother you that much.

Laswagga:

I have never played MGVFinest in a tournament before or have played Setsuka vs. his Setsuka on video. Your confusing me with that other tournament individual who's name I cannot remember. The latest update on my sestuka is in the Game Video Distribution Forums in the thread The Best Casuals You Will Ever See.

Anyway thanks for the feedback on these issues.

Lag with tvs can really makes a setsuka go from top level to mediocre really quickly. I'm going to have to agree with what destinizish said before hand, muscle memory. Also, if you have the chance, play some casuals on these tv's just to be sure about where the lag is, some will obviously be heavier than others so just get a feel of it. Also, if you REALLY care that much, try some online matches. I was lucky enough to be able to make the differences in the inputs muscle memory that I can call apon when I am playing either or.

So yeap, try that. I saw some videos of you vs MGVfinest though, you're okay but you're missing some key elements to setsuka that go beyond just-frames. But it comes with practice and I know you'll get it.

Good luck.

the other sets wasnt SU that guy was horrid i know what your talking about
and SU im not sure if youve seen how fast wave dashing can be don with her but it can be used at a speedy backdash equivilent to algols backdash for example
00:47
i know KDZ uses it as well and it done on a PS3 controller

babalook to the rescue!

Damn u seem to know the location of all combo videos. I hope I can get that motion down because it looks useful, almost no one does it, and most important it just looks so damn sexy...................................

babalook to the rescue!

Damn u seem to know the location of all combo videos. I hope I can get that motion down because it looks useful, almost no one does it, and most important it just looks so damn sexy...................................

so true hehe ya i know MGV so i kinda had this one on the top of my head and im a big video watcher, in my opinion i think your setsuka is much better he focuses alot on flashy and doesnt know correct follow ups in some situations.

Well we tried to make MGV a member of the NY army since we all loved his Sets. Unfortunately he doesn't know the frames of the game in good enough depth and at this point in the game its a little to late. His Setsuka is flashy though just like you said.

Now that I think about it i'm gonna halt the picking up multiple characters thing for the moment and focus on the in's and out's of the game more in depth in preparation for Cannes since i'm kinda slacking as well. So i'm not gonna bother with Tira etc. and Cervantes will be my last new character. I notice he's a lot better when you know every little detail about the game as well not to derail the thread.

Actually this is only a real problem if you're playing on ps3.
On 360, the lag isn't that important and changing TVs don't bother you that much.

Hi Maxou,

Just want to know what do you mean by lag not being that important in the 360? I'm about to get a 42 inch LCD for Soulcalibur 4 (The only game I play on my PS3) but I can trade my PS3 with my brother for his 360 if there is no lag on large TVs on the 360.

Hi Cabbie,

In France we don't play SC4 on PS3, because of lag and slowness issue (I don't know if it is the right word, I mean the fact that when you play on some stages, the game just slows down for no reason) but on Xbox 360.

In my house I have a LCD TV and a CRT TV so I can play on Xbox 360 on both of the TVs, and actually it don't bother me at all with my timings. I often play on HDMI TV and it doesn't affect my game at all on 360, while when I tried to play on a PS3 I couldn't do 1AAA jf...
Playing on Xbox 360 allows more fluidity in the game (that is just clear), no heavy lag for whatever reason (look at all the whine of people at EVO because "the TV lagged", it don't happen with 360, and when you play Setsuka, you do know when a TV lags).

And with the (new?) 0 lag adaptator there is no more pad issue !

The only thing (I am ONLY talking about SC4 there, I don't have any opinion for other games, because it is the only fighting game I play) that can prevent you playing on a 360 is the pad selection "organisation" (sorry for the poor english, I hope you understand what I mean) who just sucks HARD.

Btw, for Cannes 2k10, the SC4 tournament will be played on Xbox 360, and I am pretty sure there will be NO lag issue.

Yes I completely understand Maxou! Thank you for the information! Looks like I'm going to trade my PS3 for my brother's xbox :)

Hi Cabbie,

In France we don't play SC4 on PS3, because of lag and slowness issue (I don't know if it is the right word, I mean the fact that when you play on some stages, the game just slows down for no reason) but on Xbox 360.

In my house I have a LCD TV and a CRT TV so I can play on Xbox 360 on both of the TVs, and actually it don't bother me at all with my timings. I often play on HDMI TV and it doesn't affect my game at all on 360, while when I tried to play on a PS3 I couldn't do 1AAA jf...
Playing on Xbox 360 allows more fluidity in the game (that is just clear), no heavy lag for whatever reason (look at all the whine of people at EVO because "the TV lagged", it don't happen with 360, and when you play Setsuka, you do know when a TV lags).

And with the (new?) 0 lag adaptator there is no more pad issue !

The only thing (I am ONLY talking about SC4 there, I don't have any opinion for other games, because it is the only fighting game I play) that can prevent you playing on a 360 is the pad selection "organisation" (sorry for the poor english, I hope you understand what I mean) who just sucks HARD.

Btw, for Cannes 2k10, the SC4 tournament will be played on Xbox 360, and I am pretty sure there will be NO lag issue.

See, now this pisses me off.

I visited the US for the ATL regionals and I practiced my baby on 360 and I know the 360 is the superior version of the 2. But for some reason, the US prefer the PS3 version were slowdown is noticeable and it affects the Setsuka performance and makes practice redundant.

Now you tell me that in France, the 360 is the console of choice for tourneys. Grrrr!!!!

I couldn't do my usual performance with Sets in the regional and I had to switch to Ivy when most of my practice time went to Sets. It's really annoying.

Good luck.

I've been starting to use Setsuka, and I must say, she's an excellent character. She's challenging yet so rewarding when used properly. It took me about a day to get a 75% success ration on 1B:B JF. Also, WC 3B:B came surprisingly easy. 1AAA is a little difficult to pull off, but I've done it before. Maybe 35% of the time I'll land it. However, I went into training to see how the lag effects it-and it's so drastic, almost makes me want to just play Setsuka online (since I'm mainly an online player)

for those mainly offline players who use Setsuka, and can use her online as well-mad props to you. The lag is horrid, that I can do 1B:B 1/20 times offline. Maybe I'll have to take the advice of muscle memory-but that'll be a minute before I get that on lock.

Also, do anyone else have a problem with the B+K input set online?

I've been starting to use Setsuka, and I must say, she's an excellent character. She's challenging yet so rewarding when used properly. It took me about a day to get a 75% success ration on 1B:B JF. Also, WC 3B:B came surprisingly easy. 1AAA is a little difficult to pull off, but I've done it before. Maybe 35% of the time I'll land it. However, I went into training to see how the lag effects it-and it's so drastic, almost makes me want to just play Setsuka online (since I'm mainly an online player)

for those mainly offline players who use Setsuka, and can use her online as well-mad props to you. The lag is horrid, that I can do 1B:B 1/20 times offline. Maybe I'll have to take the advice of muscle memory-but that'll be a minute before I get that on lock.

Also, do anyone else have a problem with the B+K input set online?

Nope, her B+K set is a chain, you don't have to think about it, just do it. Setsuka is on rail when doing that move, you just need to remain in control.

Nope, her B+K set is a chain, you don't have to think about it, just do it. Setsuka is on rail when doing that move, you just need to remain in control.

Thanks for the advice. My success rate for the second part of B+K chain input has increased. I'm not fully comfortable with the move so it's out of my arsenal at the moment. I'm working on 1AAA as well.

Also, about the lag. I usually play a friend online/offline who lives a little bit away from me. So, we'll have a 5bar online. I'll use Setsuka in a 4bar, which seems okay... then I have a horrid JF success rate. Lag can really kill her character.

or you can mash A+B for the B+K series....

makes it easy... until you are good enough to do the one for more dmg with the B+K ender

Back