Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hwang being more popular than Yun on the poll.....
tenor.gif

I really think people are being unrealistic in their DLC expectations. Looking at Bamco's track record:

SoulCalibur 4 - 1 DLC character (guest)
SoulCalibur 5 - 1 DLC character (SC character)
Tekken 7 - 2 DLC characters (guests)

I think it's very unlikely we'll get very many SC characters as DLC, if we even get any.

I really think people are being unrealistic in their DLC expectations. Looking at Bamco's track record:

I think it's very unlikely we'll get very many SC characters as DLC, if we even get any.

You're right, but we can hope. Actually they got backlash about T7 DLCs from all the fans (which i was one of them),and in a good news it seems that they maybe add more dlc after the first Season Pass (there were some strong hints from and there).

Also i'll add, SC4 and 5 were born in different era, and Tekken 7 had its (disgusting 3 years) arcade cycle, while the game was in arcade they added a lot of characters, stages and other things, which is almost equivalent to not just 1 season pass, but 2.

And DBZ who is coming soon will have a lot of DLCs characters, maybe they learned how to make good post launch support after NRS and some others.

I mean yeah, i really hope DLCs won't end up being like T7, like some ass made costumes and bikinis and some other no fitting guest characters, as lord Yoda would say, let's hope they will do it well this time with SC6!!

PS: Personnally if SC6 DLCs are gonna be like in SCV like just nonsens CaS stuffs i won't spent a bucks on the game's dlc, let's hope for more interesting stuffs.

Last edited:

Eliza is also a DLC/pre-order bonus character in Tekken 7, so that makes it three. We may get more in SC6.

That's how I felt too. Tekken and SC so far didn't seem to go down the same path as Injustice or SF where they throw you a bunch of DLC characters.
Even when their fanbase is requesting DLC characters they don't seem to budge you know... ( Lei, Anna, Julia)

DBFZ does have a season pass with 8 DLC characters. But maybe it's just that game.

It's worth noting that DBFZ is bamco also even if its partnered and it has 8. Acysys never has more than 2 or 3 either

I would actually really would like to know how much time, efforts and budget cost a 3D fighting game character compare to a 2D fighting game character.

Of course if can change from a game to another, not all 2D are same, neither 3D. But overall even tho i think that a 3D character need more efforts compare to a 2D character, but i wonder is the difference in term time/efforts/budget is that huge. Always though about this but could it be why 3D fighters don't get much support as 2D games?

I'm actually uncertain but the models in arcsys' "2.5D" are fully rendered 3d models still so im honestly not sure how much of a difference they is. I'm sure a bit but it probably honestly isn't a ton more since they can recycle assets of returning cast

I'm actually uncertain but the models in arcsys' "2.5D" are fully rendered 3d models still so im honestly not sure how much of a difference they is. I'm sure a bit but it probably honestly isn't a ton more since they can recycle assets of returning cast

What about the movesets tho? 2D in general has less, i mean waaaaaay less moves than 3D fg.

In the other hand it's true that moves are recycled from older games in 3D in general, sometimes some moves got new animations but not all, and new moves of each character, like 5 to 8, sometimes more, which is almost a 2D fighter moveset lol. Also new character in 3D fighting games take way more time i think. Patroklos basically has a movesets of 5 2D characters when you think about it lol, and then there also Viola and Zwei. (and even Xiba and Natsu had a bunch of new moves). Also there are stances in 3D, which you can find in a 2D game but it's very rare compare to a 3D.

Those are all definitely big factors. No doubt in my mind that it takes more money and work to make 3d characters. I just thought it was a fair comparison overall with it being the same company and whatnot.

DLC overall is a GOOD THING for fighting games. It gives us new exciting ways to do they thing that we love and it gives them a financial backing in order to continue to support what we love. There are shit business practices out there so its fair to be a bit apprehensive but its a very symbiotic relationship for long time fans and if DLC ran for 2 years and 12-14 characters I'm not even mad.

The problem is that while most of a character moveset in those 2,5D is generic, a full fledged moveset of a Calibur or Tekken character take a lot more work to make it.

In specific regards to SCIV and V, the industry has changed a lot in what will be 6 years since SCV's release later this January when it comes to DLC and Season Passes.

It's New Years, so will anyone be doing anything new/different in SoulCalibur 6 that they haven't done in previous games? I have a few goals in mind :)

1: In previous games, I've created a character and tried to come up with a story for him and even made mock wiki-style pages for him in MSWord to make him feel like a regular character on the roster and even went as far as making sure he had a 2P Costume. He had some allies and rivals who I also did this for. In the sequels, I've tried to advance his plot and introduce new characters and such. Even in SCV, I followed the game's theme and had him have an offspring and also had his lover die between games, causing him to become Malfested (and giving him the best 2P costume I ever designed).

In SCVI I hope to again follow the game's theme by restarting his plot and trying much harder to make him feel like a character who belongs in the SC mythos and probably even come up with 'story battles' for him. If I'm able I will try to actually post images/videos and such here if anyone's interested in that sort of thing.

2: I must confess that whilst I love fighting games, I stink at them. I refuse to play against other people except my close friends) because I'd be slaughtered. I'm kinda fine with this, however I would love to actually be able to feel like I'm "good" with a particular character. I suppose I'm pretty ok with Kilik and had Amy had half a chance to be in the series, I would've gotten better with her too, but in SCVI I'd love to really train hard and try to learn the mechanics and 8-way run system more, just enough to feel like I've accomplished something :)

3: Similarly to the previous goal, I wish to learn a new main. Most people I've seen on here have at least 3, but I've only ever played as Kilik and, in SCIV, Amy (and Xiba in SCV due to lack of Kilik). I've played other characters because I like the character or the fighting style and sometimes I just pick random characters for a change of pace, but none of them ever spoke to me more than the ones I played and made me feel like their style suited me, so I never tried to 'learn' the character. In SCVI I'd like to try and pick up a new main character and hopefully not feel so 'one trick' like I do now.

Looking at Bamco's track record:

Tekken 7 has 3 DLC characters: Eliza (pre-order), Geese, Noctis.
DBFZ has 8 DLC characters planned.
Industry changed a lot since SCV release.
I think it's more or less safe to assume that we'll get at least 4 DLC characters and somewhere around 8 max.

All is going to depend on how well the game does. If it does well I can easily see a few DLCs, otherwise I don't expect many.

Also remember Tekken 7 had an Arcade run + revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back