Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a mix of what I've heard and pieced together....
While I don't know when exactly it started, I know that they started pre-planning and planning after they shut Lost Swords down. That shut down on November 30 of 2015. They had announced it was shutting down September 1 of the same year.
Meaning full blown development of SCVI started sometime around early to mid 2016 for sure.
Everything was going well, with them building up and teasing the reveal of SCVI all the way up to the fall of 2016, then the problem(s) arose around November (which were mainly things concerning the style switching/multiple moveset mechanic aspect) which couldn't be resolved by December 2016 by its 20th anniversary, hence the trailer they threw out there with the teasing quote at the end to try and give the fans a wink and nudge to hold them over.
That delay lasted from November to February it seems when I put everything together that I've heard and analyzed as well.
As development did pick back up sometime in or around February no matter what, and they were doing motion capturing from then up until May to play catch up.
Regarding the game itself, it was only planned for PS4 and PC originally from what I heard, but Switch was something they fast tracked development on at some point this year after they saw the Switch's success and they wanted a part of that. Being close with Nintendo probably played a factor in helping make it happen as well.
To get to the point and answer your question, it looks like 2 years so far now, but with a 3-ish (maybe closer to 4) month delay in there at a point.

Do you know why they took so long to start making 6? Most of the sequels came out ~3.5 years later.

I didn't mind the new characters in SC V. what I did mind was that they replaced series vets like Sophie and Taki and X. They also totally excluded young characters from past games, like Talim, who COULD have benefited from the time skip.

I also didn't like that the story mode only revolved around a select few characters ( namely Pat ) and that there was a TOTAL LACK of arcade endings/story for all the rest of the characters.

didn't really give you an incentive storywise to try out the other characters.

so hopefully in VI, they go back to giving each character a proper Arcade intro/story/ending, in addition to an over arcing main story mode, that this time incorporates more of the characters.

and if CAS returns, it would be nice if there was some kind of story mode, with cutscenes, for your CAS. that may be reaching and over wishing, but it would be nice, imo.

Last edited:
Lol! I'm not going to argue with you over who is more popular when the main tool you use to argue her popularity already has my character over yours. That's enough over what you think people like. I just know going by the years I've spent in this community that my impression was that X was much more popular that Sets. Whether it was using her in the game (tournament, online or offline sessions) or her importance in the story. And nothing you have said or presented has changed that impression. The only thing you have shown is that you like her more than X and you hope others do too. So let's just move on. I'm done with this.
You realize you're breaking lp's heart right now.

Already said that after the poll was finished, people only voted for these characters because they got cut tbh. As soon as talim n stuff are back people will go back to ignoring them.
And because they're preferred them over their replacements.

As someone already stated, a real and solid Season Pass with real and legit DLC characters could've save SCV from having the ugliest and weirdest character choices in the bottom of a character select screen, and also have a way longer life, especially since Netcode of SCV was really super good for its time, also i don't even think that Omega Beta Alpha patro pyrrah + 3 Mimics were as well a part of the plan at first, but it ended like this because they were running out of time back.

But it really doesn't matter at this point, really not, and as an Old and sage monk would say: " Making Mistakes make people stronger and better". And let's hope it will be apply from Bandai Namco & Project Soul, and they will apply it for Soul Calibur 6, to make the best Soul Calibur, well surpassing SC2 would be a miracle, but let's hope at least it will an awesome SC game.

Let's SC6 to be as its greatest, that's the only thing that matters now. PS please, don't disappoint us, i'm confident and i have faith.

Last edited:
Lol! I'm not going to argue with you over who is more popular when the main tool you use to argue her popularity already has my character over yours. That's enough over what you think people like. I just know going by the years I've spent in this community that my impression was that X was much more popular that Sets. Whether it was using her in the game (tournament, online or offline sessions) or her importance in the story. And nothing you have said or presented has changed that impression. The only thing you have shown is that you like her more than X and you hope others do too. So let's just move on. I'm done with this.

Real talk though as someone who jumped into the series in SCV I thought a. pat's moveset was really cool. Knowing that he's actually a replacement of an older character and I can use that moveset without dealing with pat makes me happy.

Also gaisha tiddies.

Also there's a Kill Bill vibe there which is great too.

We don't even have an official announcement yet, and people are already salty/combative over the roster. lol

Sorry, but no. I'd like to think Xianghua is more iconic of a character than Setsuka, anyway... even if I do like Setsuka a little.

Xianghua has played a bigger role in the story than Setsuka. I wouldn't call her iconic. Soulcalibur is lacking in iconic characters because of how much focus and attention guest characters, customization, and breast sizes steals from the standard roster. Ask someone outside of SC and they probably heard of Ivy and Taki, or seen Nightmare from the Project Soul logo, but couldn't tell you who Xianghua is or anything about her storyline.

Setsuka is unique because they designed an execution-based character for a game with a low execution barrier. I wonder if she makes it back given that the person who created Setsuka, Tira, and Zasalamel no longer works for Namco.

Exactly. Many declared SC to be dead after we got nothing for the past five years (not counting shit like LS, US, Pachislot, and trading cards). This forum is more active now than it's been in a long time, and getting the soul burning again just in time for an announcement is probably for the best. We're building hype for Namco, so this is helping them.

The people who declared SC dead are mainly the people who hated SCV who weren't around when the series was actually dead after SC4.

Lost Swords was just about the worst and most illogical thing they could've done with the series. I still can't wrap my head around the "point" of that game existing and why it was necessary for it to.
But whatever. I guess it was some kind of very odd means to an end for experimentation with the series.
SCV and Lost Swords in different ways both served as "doing the wrong thing long enough until you realize you're been doing the wrong thing so you can finally make it right."

My leaking SCVI stuff is the exact opposite of having malicious intent towards them. It's a mix of my being genuinely excited for it as a fan, pride in their direction, and preparing people for good things to come for the series again for the first time in a long time. It's a reason to be excited. And in a series some have waned in being able to for quite some time now.

Lost Swords was a experiment to milk money from casuals who hated the single player in SCV, the change to guard impact, or the lack of certain characters like Taki in SCV.

This series has had serious problems ever since they stopped releasing the game in arcades. I think Street Fighter V was the real wake up call because doing the wrong things didn't bother them prior to Capcom rushing out a sequel that was complete garbage while spending the last two years trying to repair that damage. Then they follow it up by rushing out MVCI and trying to repair the damage that Chun-Li's face did to that game.

I didn't expect a new game until Tekken 7 was out the door, so hopefully they realized that they need to do right by SC6 and give it the time that it needs. If SC6 looks like trash, then people are going to be looking for you after working them up with these leaks.

I didn't mind the new characters in SC V. what I did mind was that they replaced series vets like Sophie and Taki and X.

I also didn't like that the story mode only revolved around a select few characters ( namely Pat ) and that there was a TOTAL LACK of arcade endings/story for all the rest of the characters.

didn't really give you an incentive storywise to try out the other characters.

so hopefully in VI, they go back to giving each character a proper Arcade intro/story/ending, in addition to an over arcing main story mode, that this time incorporates more of the characters.

and if CAS returns, it would be nice if there was some kind of story mode, with cutscenes, for your CAS. that may be reaching and over wishing, but it would be nice, imo.

I think what hurt SCV the most was the lack of content on top of issues like 3 mimic characters. SC4 didn't have much for single player either.

I wish they would go back and do what they've done in previous games instead of trying to emulate what Netherrealm did for the story with Mortal Kombat, because not every company has the resources to produce what they've done. It's more fun going through each character's story and unlocking content versus sitting through one long ass mode that tries to tie all the characters together to a shitty story. I hope they learned from how the story mode in Tekken 7 was received.

I knew SCV would be divisive the minute that Taki was replaced. Characters have been replaced or given lesser roles ever since the creation of Soulcalibur. Casuals don't care for the new characters in SCV because of how much the story mode sucks and revolves around Patroklos/Pyrrha, or don't care for the fact that SCV's roster consists mainly of returning characters because they just create their own weeb anime CAS character to use in game.

People can fight over which character matters more, but this series has resorted to adding guest characters and character creation after SC1 for a reason. Link is more iconic than any character in SC2's roster.

I was there, and I feel like SCV did way more to harm the series than SCIV did. It's easy for one to make a connection between SCV being the last in the series after five years without so much as a whisper of a new installment. Fortunately, it looks like we're past the point now.

As someone already stated, a real and solid Season Pass with real and legit DLC characters could've save SCV from having the ugliest and weirdest character choices in the bottom of a character select screen, and also have a way longer life, especially since Netcode of SCV was really super good for its time, also i don't even think that Omega Beta Alpha patro pyrrah + 3 Mimics weren't as well a part of the plan at first, but it ended like this because they were running out of time back.

But it really doesn't matter at this point, really not, and as an Old and sage monk would say: " Making Mistakes make people stronger and better". And let's hope it will be apply from Bandai Namco & Project Soul, and they will apply it for Soul Calibur 6, to make the best Soul Calibur (well surpassing SC2 would be a miracle, but let's hope at least it will an awesome SC game.

Let's SC6 to be as its greatest, that's the only thing that matters now. PS please, don't disappoint us, i'm confident and i have faith.
Yeah, I feel like SCVI will benefit from what we have today. Hopefully it has a long life ahead of it, I just hope it's not milked dry like DOA5 was, because that was ridiculous.

Real talk though as someone who jumped into the series in SCV I thought a. pat's moveset was really cool. Knowing that he's actually a replacement of an older character and I can use that moveset without dealing with pat makes me happy.

Also gaisha tiddies.

Also there's a Kill Bill vibe there which is great too.

I only liked Pat because of his moveset, which fit my CAS, which I made as a stand in for Sophitia.......lol.

Already said that after the poll was finished, people only voted for these characters because they got cut tbh. As soon as talim n stuff are back people will go back to ignoring them.
And that could pretty much be why the majority of the Talim fanbase is now filled with overly obsessed and retarded fanboys.

Indeed, but you are doing so at your own will rather than instructed by the team or company behind the game.

All this "hype" and forum activity would take place regardless as soon as this trailer drops in the supposed 2 weeks. You are just doing something without authorization from your own free will. Even if you think it's harmless they have a specific strategy to release info, it's their game, and they have every right to do so. What you're doing is pure disrespect to the game and the community for your own egotistical reason of "striking up the band before they play", and unfortunately people are blinded by this from their excitement of the upcoming game. I give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are a troll with no sources taking advantage of a community that's desperate for a new game. I'd have more respect for a troll lying on the internet than someone who is directly disrespecting a company and their marketing efforts on an upcoming game we cherish.

I just wanna reply to this so there's at least one person agreeing with you. Marketing devises a plan where they reveal characters periodically before release to maintain hype. And the dev team is definitely excited for when they can finally announce a game so they can see the reaction by the fans as it's announced. I don't think there's a single person at Namco who would be happy to see details of their games leak ahead of time.

It is true this is making people talk about the franchise again, but as Oofmatic said, the same thing would happen once the game is announced. And a big difference is that we'd have concrete official information to talk about. There's still a chance that Vergeben is a sophisticated troll, and if all this information is false, then this entire thing will backfire hard and excitement about SC6 will drop to an all new low.

I can understand the other point of view too though. It's fun to speculate and fans can sometimes figure stuff on their own (for instance, if there's a game client to extract data from. Like how people were able to figure out future characters for Lost Swords by looking at the game client files), and it's definitely understandable how the entire fanbase is desperate to hear anything about SC6.

I'm not trying to start an argument about this or anything, just wanted to throw that opinion out there.

I was there, and I feel like SCV did way more to harm the series than SCIV did. It's easy for one to make a connection between SCV being the last in the series after five years without so much as a whisper of a new installment. Fortunately, it looks like we're past the point now.

You hated SCV everyday since you joined this forum because of no Taki. Of course you feel that way because only a handful of people even used Taki. Natsu has been far more popular.

SCV has its issues, but it fixed alot of things that was wrong with SC4. I love SC4 more than SCV, but there's no question that it killed the franchise for a time. Now people try to hold it in a higher regard just because of the roster.

I think you missed the part where I said Natsu only got used a lot online because she was easy to spam, not because she was genuinely popular. Considering online didn't last very long I don't think that means much anyways. This was apparent when Taki beat Natsu on the poll #2 to #27 and later whooped her ass directly in the matchup.

And that could pretty much be why the majority of the Talim fanbase is now filled with overly obsessed and retarded fanboys.

These people are the same people who BEGGED for Natsu to get nerfed and for Viola to be overbuffed. I can't wait for Talim players to CRY & BEG for her to be BUFFED.

We don't even have an official announcement yet, and people are already salty/combative over the roster. lol

Xianghua has played a bigger role in the story than Setsuka. I wouldn't call her iconic. Soulcalibur is lacking in iconic characters because of how much focus and attention guest characters, customization, and breast sizes steals from the standard roster. Ask someone outside of SC and they probably heard of Ivy and Taki, or seen Nightmare from the Project Soul logo, but couldn't tell you who Xianghua is or anything about her storyline.

Very True

Setsuka is unique because they designed an execution-based character for a game with a low execution barrier. I wonder if she makes it back given that the person who created Setsuka, Tira, and Zasalamel no longer works for Namco.

Setsuka is coming back.

SCV has its issues, but it fixed alot of things that was wrong with SC4. I love SC4 more than SCV, but there's no question that it killed the franchise for a time. Now people try to hold it in a higher regard just because of the roster.

Very True, SCV is a much better balanced game than SCIII & IV combined. Lost Swords only did one thing right, Extra Bound Stuns.

I think you missed the part where I said Natsu only got used a lot online because she was easy to spam, not because she was genuinely popular. Considering online didn't last very long I don't think that means much anyways. This was apparent when Taki beat Natsu on the poll #2 to #27 and later whooped her ass directly in the matchup.

Leixia, Xianghua, & Setsuka destroys Natsu & Taki because their moves don't matter.

To play devil's advocate, IV and V honestly both helped "kill" the franchise as releasing two back-to-back lacking games is a recipe for IP dormancy.
IV still did well enough (over 2.3 million copies sold) to lead to a halfassed sequel that only sold only half of what IV did.
For all intents and purposes, V "killed" it, even though it never legitimately died.
For all the things V fixed and did right, the fact of the matter is that Soul Calibur V will be looked back on.... exactly like how it is looked back on already.
It was a rushjob, failed attempt at doing what Garou did. And even a failed attempt at doing what Street Fighter III did. Which was create and introduce new characters. Some of which are replacements of other ones that were divisive at first that people came to love and appreciate them over time.
The valuable lesson is that if you can't do a timeskip right, you shouldn't do it at all.

What is there to truly appreciate from Soul Calibur V's introductory line-up legacy?
Viola and ZWEI are the only truly original things. As bizarre and magical as they may be, there's far more upside to them both moving forward.
Natsu stands alone as this divisive in the wrong ways kind of character who needs some serious overhaul to salvage because her background, personality, and moveset all need changed to give it another shot.
Otherwise, you kind of have Patroklos (who's more appreciated for his style, beit default or Alpha, than his actual character himself) and...kind of Pyrrha, but more her Omega version.
Leixia and Xiba are the types of characters that would only get brought back solely for telling the familial drama surrounding them. Which could be good fun. But both of them are going to need fleshed out characters, better designs, and new movesets to further justify bringing them back.

Last edited:
It would be awesome if this new mechanic of swichting stances/weapons would give a character some sort of soul companion like Ivy - Snake, Siegfried - Eagle, Cervantes - Kraken, Kilik - Phoenix, Voldo - Spider, Mitsurugi - Dragon, Hilde - Griffin etc. What do you think of it?

It would be awesome if this new mechanic of swichting stances/weapons would give a character some sort of soul companion like Ivy - Snake, Siegfried - Eagle, Cervantes - Kraken, Kilik - Phoenix, Voldo - Spider, Mitsurugi - Dragon, Hilde - Griffin etc. What do you think of it?
I wonder how many characters are going to be able to switch weapons, because it seems that only some of them will. I also wonder if that design for Nightmare really has him switch to that, or if it's scrapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back