Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think SC3 (Tekken 5 as well) had the best intro in the history of fighting game intros. The later ones were ok but didn't cut it for me. They didn't have the same speed or gave you the same adrenaline rush that made you go "Let's fucking do this!" like SC3's intro did. Plus the music was fucking awesome.

What i'm getting at is that i hope that SC6 gets an intro like SC3.

I think SC3 (Tekken 5 as well) had the best intro in the history of fighting game intros. The later ones were ok but didn't cut it for me. They didn't have the same speed or gave you the same adrenaline rush that made you go "Let's fucking do this!" like SC3's intro did. Plus the music was fucking awesome.

What i'm getting at is that i hope that SC6 gets an intro like SC3.
Even if it isn't really the topic - in my opinion
One of the best Fighting game series with really great intros, first 2 Intros are the best ones.

But what i really noticed - the earlier the game the more love was put into it.
And i really miss the "love" for many games nowdays ... Especially long Series like Soul Calibur.

Last edited:
II's intro isn't bad, and I like that it covers most of the main cast, but it definitely seems less skillfully crafted than III's intro. And I don't just mean the CGI quality, but the editing and camera movement. I'm noticing a lot of bizarrely angled shots that do nothing but distract from the action on screen. The Taki/Ivy fight is a prime example. A lot of shots that cut away too quickly, or too zoomed in, making the editing seem frantic and the action harder to follow.

And the Kilik/Xianghua/Maxi bit looks like it came from another intro altogether. Nothing else is done in that style, and Maxi even shows up in another scene anyway.

Last edited:
II's intro isn't bad, and I like that it covers most of the main cast, but it definitely seems less skillfully crafted than III's intro. And I don't just mean the CGI quality, but the editing and camera movement. I'm noticing a lot of bizarrely angled shots that do nothing but distract from the action on screen. The Taki/Ivy fight is a prime example. A lot of shots that cut away too quickly, or too zoomed in, making the editing seem frantic and the action harder to follow.

And the Kilik/Xianghua/Maxi bit looks like it came from another intro altogether. Nothing else is done in that style, and Maxi even shows up in another scene anyway.

I see your point. Nostalgia plays a very large part in why I like SC2's intro, but I still think the music is better than the later ones.

How would you rank the intro's?

In SC6 I hope they keep the "transcending history and the world" speech at the beginning.

I'm not sure what went with Namco in 2005, but Tekken 5 and Soul Calibur III CGI intros were top notch. In high contrast with both titles previous entries (I recently rewatched the Tekken 4 one in Tekken 7 and man, Kazuya's animations kicking Tekken Force soldiers look really bad by today's standards).

Crazy how the standards have changed so much.

I see your point. Nostalgia plays a very large part in why I like SC2's intro, but I still think the music is better than the later ones.

How would you rank the intro's?

In SC6 I hope they keep the "transcending history and the world" speech at the beginning.

I'd say

1. SCIII (could use a few more scenes/characters, and maybe tone down the sword woosh sounds, but otherwise fantastic, and still holds up today in most aspects. The CGI is only a little dated looking.)
  2. Soul Edge/Blade (dated CGI, corny parts, but mostly in a good way. Well composed and elevated by the catchy intro theme)
  3. SCII (Kind of a proto SCIII intro. Falters in terms of editing/composition, but good usage of characters.)
  4. SCIV (Uses serviceable in-game graphics, but too focused on Algol, Sieg, Nightmare, the Guest Characters and that tower/surrounding area. Some shots that linger too long. Intro weirdly divided between four versions, each with a different interlude fight focusing on one of the established characters vs one of the Star Wars guests or your custom character.)
  5. SCV (SCIV's problems but worse, this time we only get a lesser version of the Nightmare scenes in SCIII's intro, then Nightmare VS Siegfried fighting with flashy colors and weightless attacks)
  6. SC (They tried?)

I'm not sure what went with Namco in 2005, but Tekken 5 and Soul Calibur III CGI intros were top notch. In high contrast with both titles previous entries (I recently rewatched the Tekken 4 one in Tekken 7 and man, Kazuya's animations kicking Tekken Force soldiers look really bad by today's standards).

Crazy how the standards have changed so much.
Went back to watch Tekken 5's intro, it always kinda bothered me how Asuka manage to live after jumping off that huge tower with her bike.
But it's still the best intro in the series.

Can we talk about something more relevant and exciting than intros? How about: what role will Kilik's rival play in the story? Will he be a random fighter that wants Soul Edge and Kilik is in his way? Is he a servant of Nightmare? Is he connected to Kilik himself?

I largely agree with this, but also agree with Crimzin on the music.

III has exceptional direction in terms of scenes and visual transition, but I think II has it beat in terms of musical structure. A powerful intro, good intervals and the way the music builds up energy for the more active parts is great. The break in the build-up with Raphael's little intermission is honestly my favorite part- it's really well done, and allows the next build-up to be even better.

III's is interesting because it actually uses more music pieces that it transitions between. My main issue is that it seems almost afraid to have tough transitions, even when they seem like they would work. Everything flows very softly into the rest, and the only time the music is allowed to be properly powerful and forceful is at the end with Zasalamel and Nightmare- interestingly, Siegfried acts much like Raph in causing one of those little breaks there, and it is the best part of the intro.

It almost seems that they held back a bit too much in the other transitions to make the final one stronger- but II's music managed to keep the final part very strong despite being rougher and tougher in other places.

I do think III overall has a better soundtrack though, just not the intro(even if I do think the final part might be a bit stronger in III).

I'm starting to think the narrator is a different guy from Soul Calibur V. Why? Because the voice line used in the trailer (just as shadows are cast where there is light...) is from...

Hah. Nice one, Project Soul.

I'm starting to think the narrator is a different guy from Soul Calibur V. Why? Because the voice line used in the trailer (just as shadows are cast where there is light...) is from...

You can sorta hear the new announcer in the 10 minute demo from PSX. A shame because I really liked the one from SCV, but I'll get over it I guess.

Didn't @Vergeben refer to the character as "them/they" ?

Yeah, but then later if i remember well someone asked the same question and then he replied that he's male.

Of course i'm referring about Kilik's rival here only, dunno about the others.
The character at the end of the SCVI trailer with the dual blade is a guy, yes.

Can we talk about something more relevant and exciting than intros? How about: what role will Kilik's rival play in the story? Will he be a random fighter that wants Soul Edge and Kilik is in his way? Is he a servant of Nightmare? Is he connected to Kilik himself?
He's an assassin with some kind of personal grudge against Kilik. Him wanting to kill Kilik is more for pleasure than business.
The new guy's parent is also a newcomer. So yes, you're getting new character that is older in age added as well. People who like the idea of some new characters that aren't fresh faced newcomers should be happy. They also aren't meant to "replace" anyone and are something new to the series moveset-wise.

SCV and SCVI's announcers are both Paul St. Peter. He just sounds less quiet and unenthusiastic as he did on V. No offense to the guy, but he did a terrible job on V. But I think it was more the voice director not telling him to emote properly and speak louder. I do still think he's miscast as he sounds far too reserved and not bombastic enough to be a properly effective announcer to make things feel as epic as they look. But whatever.

3D fighter renaissance, perhaps?
To be honest it's not surprising that it took so much time for that, as 3D fighters are much more technically demanding (not even gameplay wise, just basic graphical stuff) than 2D. And everyone expects, no, DEMANDS the best and the newest graphics and visual effects possible. Which takes a lot of time and money to produce.

He's an assassin with some kind of personal grudge against Kilik. Him wanting to kill Kilik is more for pleasure than business.
The new guy's parent is also a newcomer. So yes, you're getting new character that is older in age added as well. People who like the idea of some new characters that aren't fresh faced newcomers should be happy. They also aren't meant to "replace" anyone and are something new to the series moveset-wise.
Hmmm, this gave a lot of information (which is awesome) on the new guy, but still, my question applies. He could have just met Kilik randomly and now the monk is in his way, he could be a servant of Nightmare or he could have older connections with him, in all of these situations, he can be an assassin with a grudge who wants to kill Kilik for pleasure. This parent says something about him as well, he can easily be a mentor to the assassin and follows him around, or maybe he just wants to keep an eye on him, or maybe he is a manipulative asshole. I wonder if the parent is one of those calm ones that just follows the assassin or if he is actually guiding him somehow. So many things to speculate

Heads up, DOA6 is going to be announced later most likely. 3D fighter renaissance, perhaps?
Well, you can't say DoA5 wasn't succesful, right? Makes sense to add a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back