Soul Calibur V : Comic-Con 2011 Trailer

• Admin
Soul Calibur V's showing at Comic-Con 2011 concludes with this awesome new trailer. Check it out! The big reveal of this trailer is not only how "polished" the game already looks, but at ZWEI's primary weapon "EIN".
Be sure to check out the recently updated http://www.soulcalibur.com as well!
Also remember to stay tuned for reveals at this week's EVO Championships!

slide.jpg
slide2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
But not all characters are strong in everyone's hands. Ivy is.

I was pretty much being an ass in my original post, so I decided to edit it and be more to the point (although I'm sure mods can see the original version).

You're doing a really good job of insulting a lot of people, while being completely wrong all at the same time.

You're insulting the successful Ivy players and belittling their accomplishments and hard work.

You're insulting the Ivy players who haven't had much success, because Ivy is strong in everyone's hands, right? I mean, how could you possibly fail with her? Might as well call them stupid.

Needless to say, you are very, very wrong about Ivy being strong in everyone's hands. I'm not going to name names for the sake of being polite, but have you seriously not noticed any Ivy players who have been to multiple offline meets/tournaments and had mediocre performance with her?

You're a great guy, Dest - probably the nicest person I've met in the community. But you are really being ignorant and insensitive right now.

I was pretty much being an ass in my original post, so I decided to edit it and be more to the point (although I'm sure mods can see the original version).

You're doing a really good job of insulting a lot of people, while being completely wrong all at the same time.

You're insulting the successful Ivy players and belittling their accomplishments and hard work.

You're insulting the Ivy players who haven't had much success, because Ivy is strong in everyone's hands, right? I mean, how could you possibly fail with her? Might as well call them stupid.

Needless to say, you are very, very wrong about Ivy being strong in everyone's hands. I'm not going to name names for the sake of being polite, but have you seriously not noticed any Ivy players who have been to multiple offline meets/tournaments and had mediocre performance with her?

You're a great guy, Dest - probably the nicest person I've met in the community. But you are really being ignorant and insensitive right now.

To be completely honest, there's a difference from being powerful and being great, noface. You know just as well as I that Ivy's learning curve isn't as steep as people like to believe if you're willing to be roachy.

There are many Ivy players I respect, plenty of them could beat me with other characters, too. Hell, there's some who even refuse to use some of her stuff because they know how silly it is. (Again, I won't name names, here, but they command even more respect from me, honestly, despite how petty that may seem)

Ivy can be strong even in my hands, and I haven't played her in a for long, and took months off of playing her. But if I'm willing to be silly and roachy, I will do pretty well. Maybe not winning tourneys, but you know what I mean.

The end of your post should tell you, I mean no offense to people who've done great things with her. Thing is - when people try to refute that Ivy is really powerful even in some silly players' hands, I sort of felt compelled to say something.

The main conflict is between the effort involved in learning Ivy and Fighting Ivy. First Ivy players put a lot of effort into learning her. Most Ivy player never main her because she was strong, they main her because they like the character. So when some one basically comes and says Ivy is like Amy a brain dead character, it going to offend people.

Also no one is saying Ivy is week, most Ivy players know there are things that need to be toned down. WP 6B+K, SW 3B, CL 1B, B+K, 9gB Backdash etc. I want her to be more challenging to use and where I have to use more of my moves.

But for the most part you non Ivy players really don't know what your talking about most of the time.

For example why is Ivy SG damage is one of the best in the game. That because most of her lows are stance specific and even then most of the lows can be block on reaction. To compensate I think Namco made her SG damage strong.

The most ignorant statement I find is player who think they can just pick up Ivy for a bit and do remotely well. Sorry she not Amy. And saying the learning curve is not that deep, really?

Sorry Dest, it fine if you think Ivy is boring cause that your opinion but your not someone who can judge how much skill is needed to use Ivy. And I don't believe you are good with Ivy at all. The only one who are doing well with Ivy are the one who been using her since the beginning and that like 7 people.

You use Setsuka(don't know if you still do), but if I say Setsuka is a BS character like Amy and there is no skill in using her because JF are muscle memory and anyone with half a brain can use her and do extremely well. I'm sure you would not care for the most part, but you'd be irritated because you know the character and the amount of time/effort you put into your character.

If you don't like Ivy being "overpowered", which IMO she isn't, then learn how to use her. If you don't want to learn her, deal with it.
everybody can learn ivy, thats not the point the pb is when you master ivy you re almost invincible, thats the problem ; ivy's been given all the tools to be invicible , range , ultra fast safe moves ; who cares if the learning curve is steep , its just a matter of time b4 you master a character. if you master maxi for example winning will always be challenging because most of the tools given to him are useless , thats a huge difference . clearly team namco has chosen to focus on their fav chars and decide to neglect the others.

Sorry believers that IVY is overpowered But my Sophi will Kill IVY any day! And i have played a Lot of Really GOOD IVY players! You just have to know what she can do, and then you know how to deal with her, like every character....

Sorry believers that IVY is overpowered But my Sophi will Kill IVY any day! And i have played a Lot of Really GOOD IVY players! You just have to know what she can do, and then you know how to deal with her, like every character....
i also think that ivy is kind of overrated....
sure she looks cool.. has cool weaponry.. and some people not used to deal with her..
but i don't think she's THAT dangerous..

The main conflict is between the effort involved in learning Ivy and Fighting Ivy. First Ivy players put a lot of effort into learning her. Most Ivy player never main her because she was strong, they main her because they like the character. So when some one basically comes and says Ivy is like Amy a brain dead character, it going to offend people.

Also no one is saying Ivy is week, most Ivy players know there are things that need to be toned down. WP 6B+K, SW 3B, CL 1B, B+K, 9gB Backdash etc. I want her to be more challenging to use and where I have to use more of my moves.

But for the most part you non Ivy players really don't know what your talking about most of the time.

For example why is Ivy SG damage is one of the best in the game. That because most of her lows are stance specific and even then most of the lows can be block on reaction. To compensate I think Namco made her SG damage strong.

The most ignorant statement I find is player who think they can just pick up Ivy for a bit and do remotely well. Sorry she not Amy. And saying the learning curve is not that deep, really?

Sorry Dest, it fine if you think Ivy is boring cause that your opinion but your not someone who can judge how much skill is needed to use Ivy. And I don't believe you are good with Ivy at all. The only one who are doing well with Ivy are the one who been using her since the beginning and that like 7 people.

You use Setsuka(don't know if you still do), but if I say Setsuka is a BS character like Amy and there is no skill in using her because JF are muscle memory and anyone with half a brain can use her and do extremely well. I'm sure you would not care for the most part, but you'd be irritated because you know the character and the amount of time/effort you put into your character.

Eli - It's not that I think Ivy is boring per se - you sort of just mentioned why I would say she's strong in everyone's hands... I guess I should extrapolate further:

1.) I think because everyone knows I've played in tournaments, they think that I'm talking on a competitive level. There is absolutely no character that anyone can just pick up and win with in a tournament outside possibly bind Hilde and that's simply because she has zero weakness to exploit that isn't a risk, and you don't want to be at risk vs Hilde.

2.) Everyone makes the assumption I haven't played Ivy, and am just talking out my ass because I don't like the matchup. This isn't the case. You've listed a few moves that make her sily, but she has more stupid stuff than that. And fact is, anyone with decent knowledge of the game that tinkers with Ivy for a while will find almost all of it. Will they win tournaments without putting more time into her than that initial bit? No. Will Amy? No.

3.) I can't measure how much skill is needed to play Ivy and place well with her, no. But I can judge how much skill is needed to play and have a strong ivy. You guys are putting way too much emphasis on the word strong.

Here's the main point I'm making: If you have decent knowledge of SCIV's basics, and you pick up Ivy, you will do better with her than you would have with around 90% of the cast. You might not play better than whoever else you've invested most your time into (meaning your main up until that point) but you will do significantly better than most of the cast.

Also as far as your last statement - go ahead. I actually make that statement on my own, and have since the beginning of SCIV. I have always said Setsuka isn't that difficult, and I've been relatively disliked by other Sets players because of it. Setsuka is another character that I think is strong in anyone's hands, so long as they can get timing down, and are willing to lame it out. Her biggest weakness, IMO, is the fact that you can miss timing if you don't get enough practice on the TV setups beforehand. Because though we all could devote it to muscle memory, many of us didn't spend enough time doing so.

Edit:

I should also add, what bothered me most about your post was not where you apologized. (I know that wasn't meant as an attack) Rather, it was where you did just call Amy braindead and easy, and equated her to a character that can be picked up and played, and cited the fact that there were few ivy players constantly placing. You gave the number 7 for ivy players that have done well in tourney. I count 3 amy players that have consistently placed or done well in SCIV's life.

As I said, I'm not trying to say Ivy can be picked up and will just start winning tournaments, but if you are willing to lame her out, you will still have a strong one. So tourney really has nothing to do with my argument. But if you're going to use tourney statistics, we may as well be honest here, Ivy's been dominating. She was even doing it before Hilde got banned (Look at Evo).

So I guess that's the problem. This is really an arguments about Ivy in Tournament vs Ivy in Casuals.

I don't see someone who is decent in SC4 that can pick up Ivy and do well with Ivy than the other character in casuals. I don't see the evidence to back that up.

I am not denying she strong and I understand that there should be more move nerfed. I have alway been saying what I think needs to be adjusted, and I try my best to not be bias. There should be more risks she has to take, and needs nerfs on some tools to prevent too much turtling.

Regarding Amy, well she is not a difficult character to learn, and is one of the best characters in the game. And she can "lame it out". However I understand using Amy in Tournament you need some skill to win.
Maybe my statement about Amy bothered you cause you thought its hypocritical or whatever. But that's the thing, who am I to really judge, who I am to say it take skill or not to use Amy. So when you say something that generalize all Ivy players like they lame it out=no skill involved/brain dead, its going bother Ivy user. I can only judge my self but when I play I don't try to "lame it out", I do try to make it look exciting/interesting as best I can.

As regards to tournament, the Ivy dominating tournaments is a fallacy. How many tournaments or major tournaments are there? There are only a few happening in France, Jaxel's tournaments, 1-2 major tournaments happening in America. In the states there is really only one Ivy player who has consistently placed, which is Woahhzz. He has proven he can win with other characters. This argument about Ivy wining all tournament is a fallacy, when it just the same few people who are winning them. Until I see people who switch to Ivy and win constantly, it will just be a fallacy. Also most people still don't know how to deal with Ivy at all.

Dest just to be clear both my post are not meant to be attacking/insulting you. I understand your opinion and I can respect that. Only reason I posted is I felt its unfair for people who invested their time into Ivy (especially people who used her at the start of SC4) and then to be criticized as tier whore/brain less (I have be seeing this as of late) I just have to say something to let people know the other side of the argument.

Here's your evidence that Ivy isn't an easy character to be good with:

How many people have pocket Ivy's for tourny purposes? I don't know any.

How many people have pocket Amy's for tourny purposes? TONS

Amy takes infinitely less effort to get tourny ready than Ivy. In fact, until today, I've never heard any serious tourny player call SCIV Ivy overpowered or quick to learn. As I understood it, she was one of the more "complete" and well designed characters because she was powerful (not overpowered) and complex. Amy, on the other hand, is just as powerful and can be learned in a solid day of training.

Also, until today, I've never heard any tourny player say that SC3 was better than SC2 in any respect. SC2 is UNDOUBTEDLY the standard for greatness for the entire SC tourny scene. (though some still pine for SC1)

Live streams

4 Viewers
FuzzyCatGirl
FuzzyCatGirl
Soul Cal Saturday!!! Get in here!!!
2 Viewers
SnofruBlack
SnofruBlack
GER!!! (Mit Frau heute) Hochzeitschallange Spezial Only Beat em up games

Forum statistics

Threads
Members