Soul Calibur V Connection Problems?

The patch is out and I still have problem with matchmaking, especially joining friends but also joining player rooms in general.

Joining a room after getting invited works 1/10 time which is terrible, and sometimes works right away when trying trying to join random player rooms, sometimes not at all.

Only the matchmaking gives me trouble, because when I do manage to join, the matches I play are smooth and I rarely get disconnected.

My PS3's connection is wired, NAT type is 2.

This is my connection info, and other games work fine:

1850240974.png

59462330.png

wow they did respond to my e-mail :

9:31 AM (2 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Thank you for contacting Namco Bandai's Customer Support Department.

Soul Calibur V uses a peer-to-peer connection service during online matches. The online matches depend very heavily on you and your opponents' internet connection. Make sure that you do not have any other applications that use a lot of bandwidth turned on, as this may create latency issues (such as Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, etc.). If you're using a headset while online, using voice chat requires larger amounts of data communication than normal. In cases where the connection speed is insufficient, we recommend running an online game with voice chat disabled to alleviate any latency issues you may experience.

We also recommend power cycling your modem as well. You can do this by powering down your modem and removing both the Ethernet cable and power cable. Wait a minute, then reconnect both cables and power it back on. Run an Internet Connection Test on your system, and then try playing online again.

If possible, we recommend using a wired connection when playing online for the most stable experience while playing online. This is to prevent packet loss from occurring as this occurs more frequently if using a wireless connection. You also want to make sure that you have either an Open NAT (Type 1) setting for the best possible connection when matching up with other opponents online, having a Moderate (Type 2) or Strict (Type 3) NAT Type makes it difficult to connect to other players online. For inquiries regarding how to adjust the NAT Type for your Internet Connection, we recommend getting in contact with your Internet Service Provider for additional assistance regarding this.

Namco Bandai Games America Inc. Customer Support
E-Mail: support@namcobandaigames.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NamcoBandai

wow they did respond to my e-mail -snip-i

i still say it has something to do with the game itself despite namcos (most likely) machine answer. it drops matches all the time and i know for a fact my internet is amazing. ive even seen plenty of matches drop when both people have 5 bar connections.

tested my connection again just to make sure:

This is all very odd. my connection is far worse but I manage to get a few games now and again. I get a lost connection about 1 in 5 which is better than many.

Very odd, i'm on nat type 2 and still getting dced every 2 or 3 battles, doesn't matter if it is matchmaking, ranking or private rooms, i was also playing with the same ps3 at my girlfriends house with nat type3 and never got disconnected.

Her conenction: is adsl 10 mbit down 1 mbit up (something like that)
My Connetion: Cable 120mbit down 10 mbit up.

I did DMZ my ps3, port forwarded, changed it to open firewall, changed MTU settings, UPnP on/off
Did even change the firmware of my router to a custom made firmware and back.
And still having the same problems. Kinda starting to annoy me, and don't have any problems with other games, even Soul Calibur IV doesn't have the same problems.

I have the sneaking suspicion it's all down to the Internet Service Provider. Some ISPs optimise for download speed but that doesn't matter a gnat's fart for gaming of the type SC5 requires. They may achieve the great download speed by passing packets via a fast line to another service that ultimately passes it on yet again before finally you get something. For a sustained download, this has no effect but for fast, "round-trip" type communication this can be a disaster. I've tried to look up some information on the quality of ISPs in this respect but drawn a blank. One test that will blow my theory out of the water is if Shade's girlfriend uses the same ISP as he does. If so, they should have had the same problems.....

@shade: does your girlfriend use the same ISP as you?

@Accodrian_Man: Ah no, she has a different ISP

When i get home i will try hooking up my PS3 directly to my modem.

Another difference is, my cable uses a modem (maybe could be old) that is in bridge mode to my router.

Very odd, i'm on nat type 2 and still getting dced every 2 or 3 battles, doesn't matter if it is matchmaking, ranking or private rooms, i was also playing with the same ps3 at my girlfriends house with nat type3 and never got disconnected.

Her conenction: is adsl 10 mbit down 1 mbit up (something like that)
My Connetion: Cable 120mbit down 10 mbit up.

I did DMZ my ps3, port forwarded, changed it to open firewall, changed MTU settings, UPnP on/off
Did even change the firmware of my router to a custom made firmware and back.
And still having the same problems. Kinda starting to annoy me, and don't have any problems with other games, even Soul Calibur IV doesn't have the same problems.

Haha i have exactly the same issues

Nothing helps and Namco doesn´t lift a finger to fix that

Since the Update all is more worse than before.....more dc and more lag ( before the update i had only dc)
and less players in the colloseum....

I have the sneaking suspicion it's all down to the Internet Service Provider. Some ISPs optimise for download speed but that doesn't matter a gnat's fart for gaming of the type SC5 requires. They may achieve the great download speed by passing packets via a fast line to another service that ultimately passes it on yet again before finally you get something. For a sustained download, this has no effect but for fast, "round-trip" type communication this can be a disaster. I've tried to look up some information on the quality of ISPs in this respect but drawn a blank. One test that will blow my theory out of the water is if Shade's girlfriend uses the same ISP as he does. If so, they should have had the same problems.....

@shade: does your girlfriend use the same ISP as you?

I think you are referring to ISPs not caring about latency, which is true. However, my internet is amazing, I have good pings AS WELL as throughput, I've bridged my connection from my Q1000 modem to my router and still fucking INSANE disconnect/sync issues, especially at the END and START of matches. It's so fucking amazing WHEN it works, but it's so rare now why bother

Made some more tests that resulted to a good ranking battles for a moment but after about half hour it went backwards.

Hooked Ps3 directly to the modem, so it had Nat Type 1. tought it was fixxed but after 10 min fail. (failed)

Back to original setup:
- PS3 Static Ip Number (fail)
- PS3 Static Ip and network connection 1000 mbit full ( fail )
- PS3 Static Ip and network connection 100 mbit full ( fail )
- PS3 DHCP ( fail )

I have good pings, always 5 bars with people and DC's :(

This game's netcode is really a cocktease. I wish I knew what was going on behind the scenes. Is it Ichigo69xx that just joined my room that's crashing it? Because he's running a torrent of Dane Cook on a wireless connection? who knows. sometimes I think it's clearly the other person but i've also played 1v1 with a friend at non-peak(matters for him especially, he is cable) and we both vigorously and immediately check our latency when we drop and see no issues. oh well!!!!

I'm pretty sure this netcode depends heavily on the number of persons there are in a room and their connection quality too.

Matches I play always go really smoothly, very few lag spikes. When I do get disconnected, it's very often the other person's fault as I see them in the room with one red bar or 2 bars.

I've had trouble joining a room with 5 bars just because one person in it had one bar, but as soon as that person leaves I can join.

So yea I'm pretty sure this netcode's problem is something more than just latency, or jitter or even bandwidth, it's more like a combination of all the players'

I purchased this game on launch and found the connection to be AMAZING. I stop playing for a month and hop online and I'm having laggy matches now. Personally, I believe it's because a lot more people have the game now which means it would be more common to run into someone with a poor internet service. Remember it takes 2 good connections, not just 1. I strongly suggest not using a headset and playing wired instead of wirelessly.

Hmm, some updates but nothing practical for everyone, i have cable internet, so i replaced my wall outlet and got a new modem ( i had a really old modem from my isp ) and now i have no connection problems anymore, but now i don't have a steady 5 bar connection everywhere.

Sadly it seems the online is slowly starting to feel like sc4 netcode...... -_- I really hope they fix the lag issues I felt it started ever since we had the 1st patch for this game.

Oh, to report back:

After bridging my connection from the terrible router/modem combo that CenturyLink gave me, to an actual ROUTER... i have had a total of THREE disconnects since i've had it the last two weeks.

This is the router, it's probably not worthwhile unless you have massive downstream like 40mbps and above OR lots of devices (more than 5-6) on your router that require attention: http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/asus-rt-n56u-dual/4505-3319_7-34200558.html

Sometimes lots of connections to minor devices like phones, laptops, your fancy refrigerator... whatever it may be, even if they are not using that much bandwidth with regards to "throughput"(look this up) they are still queuing all kinds of shit for your router to have to deal with. If you're on a really old POS and have high bandwidth and or a lot of devices that DO hit your router, get that.

If you want the same thing but a little cheaper I would look into Buffalo routers that can be customized with the Tomato firmware.

Summary: Formerly disconnected repeatedly, over and over and over. Latency was fine, no issues.

Now: Bridged modem/router to a real router... that is built to handle what my network is actually doing behind the scenes.

Also whatever you do, disable QoS packet scheduling unless you really really know what you're doing and how it works.

Due to laziness to read 13 pages; Here I am.
Nonetheless, I have 0 bars of connection on XBL. :(
My NAT is set to open, but my Xbox 360 is in my basement meanwhile my router is upstairs. And the stupidity of it all is myself suggesting I should probably bring my 360 upstairs/or router downstairs. I could use a few pointers.

Use a wired connection. Don't ever be the asshole that tries to play online wirelessly, with this sensitive game at least.

Back