Soul Calibur V Gameplay Demos from EVO2K11!

• Admin
Word on the news vine is that during the upcoming top 8 stream for Tekken 6 at Evolution 2K11, Namco Bandai Games International and @FilthieRich will be announcing a few new reveals for Soul Calibur 5! The top 8 stream for Tekken 6 will begin immediately after the end of top 8 for BlazBlue.

You can tune into the live stream of the Evolution 2K11 Fighting Game Championships at their live page: http://evo2k.com/live/. Stick to 8WayRun.Com as the tournaments go on for continuing coverage of the reveals. This post will be periodically updated as news is released.

12:25pm : opening statements. Introduction of Katsuhiro Harada and Daishi Odashima.

12:27pm : new character announced: Leihua, Xianghua's daughter.

Untitled-1.jpg

12:29pm : gameplay demo with Zwei and Patroclus, explaining the new critical edge system; it appears that critical edge supers can also ring out. In addition, we also get to see a significant amount of gameplay featuring Zwei's "partner" Ein.
12:33pm : gameplay demo with Ivy and Natsu. Natsu appears to play just like Taki.
12:37pm : gameplay demo with Mitsurugi and Siegfried. Match takes place on Zwei's new "boundless" stage which has no ring outs or walls. The game looks much faster paced than its predecessors.
12:41pm : closing remarks from Daishi Odashima and Katsuhiro Harada wishing that the game will be featured in an upcoming EVO tournament. Planned release for the game to be 2012, as expected.

2:55pm : @filthirich announces a playable demo of Soul Calibur 5 at this year's Tokyo Game Show.

Last edited:
Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
Let's face it,Lu Bu would rape everyone in his "Awakened" state:
lubu6.png

Hahaha! Quail before the darkness, tremble, in fear!

Don't get me started on that little green bastard (sorry to the Yoda fans out there). I mean, Assassin's Creed guests would be good, but that's obvious, isn't it? They want to be original. And let's be honest not everyone has heard of Dynasty Warriors so that'd make it original. To me it would be great, I'd main whatever Dynasty Warrior enters the world of SC.

I'm a Star Wars fan but I hated them in Soul Calibur... It's like orange juice in cereal. Both are good apart, but bring them together and it's like "WTF!?"

I want Deng Ai in the game. He's great. But they'd probably go with Liu Bei and Cao Cao or something of the like.

I'm a Star Wars fan but I hated them in Soul Calibur... It's like orange juice in cereal. Both are good apart, but bring them together and it's like "WTF!?"

I want Deng Ai in the game. He's great. But they'd probably go with Liu Bei and Cao Cao or something of the like.
Yes. Someone a bit more iconic. Perhaps Lu Bu? Let's face it,Lu Bu would rape everyone in his "Awakened" state:
lubu6.png

Hahaha! Quail before the darkness, tremble, in fear!

Just one would be a little underwhelming... But I might prefer it, in a way because it would give them more time to fine tune the series characters.

Just one would be a little underwhelming... But I might prefer it, in a way because it would give them more time to fine tune the series characters.
If I got a choice of 3, lets say, Dynasty Warriors guest characters, I would choose Lu Bu, Sun Ce and Zhuge Liang :D.

Have you seen the opening theme of DW7? It's awesome!

The Strikeforce trailer is awesome too:

If I got a choice of 3, lets say, Dynasty Warriors guest characters, I would choose Lu Bu, Sun Ce and Zhuge Liang :D.

Have you seen the opening theme of DW7? It's awesome!

The Strikeforce trailer is awesome too:

I couldn't watch the video, it said it wasn't available in my country???

Anywho, if I had a choice... Deng Ai, Jiang Wei (got a rivalry there), and... Somebody from Wu. Maybe Sun Shang Xiang? My favorite lady Dynasty Warrior and we've yet to have a female guest.

Though, actually, Lu Bu would work better than her. Just thought maybe one from each kingdom (counting Deng Ai as from Wei and Jin, lol).

If we get a Dynasty Warriors character, it will most likely be Zhao Yun. Lu Bu if we get two.

As for Deng Ai and Jiang Wei... Jiang Wei will be my punching bag in that case. Annoying in the games, horrid according to history, and only ever competent in the book.

Personal choices, assuming one from each kingdom:

Shu: Zhuge Liang or Liu Bei. The most important characters, and by far the most interesting.

Wei: Cao Cao. He was in a class of his own. Also has a nice fighting style, independent of which game you use.

Wu: Sun Quan. Easily the most important and interesting Wu-ist. I could easily see Koei put Sun Jian first- Sun Jian was impressive, really, but he wasn't really a Wu-ist. If not him, then Zhou Yu or Lu Xun, who were both pivotal.

Jin: Sima Yi. The key figure.

If we get a Dynasty Warriors character, it will most likely be Zhao Yun. Lu Bu if we get two.

As for Deng Ai and Jiang Wei... Jiang Wei will be my punching bag in that case. Annoying in the games, horrid according to history, and only ever competent in the book.

Personal choices, assuming one from each kingdom:

Shu: Zhuge Liang or Liu Bei. The most important characters, and by far the most interesting.

Wei: Cao Cao. He was in a class of his own. Also has a nice fighting style, independent of which game you use.

Wu: Sun Quan. Easily the most important and interesting Wu-ist. I could easily see Koei put Sun Jian first- Sun Jian was impressive, really, but he wasn't really a Wu-ist. If not him, then Zhou Yu or Lu Xun, who were both pivotal.

Jin: Sima Yi. The key figure.

Not necessarily horrid... I'd say, a little too fanatical for his own good. He was at a massive disadvantage against Wei due to insufficient troops, a lack of good officers, a stupid and corrupt emperor, and is completely outclassed by Deng Ai, whom he was unfortunate enough to be matched against. Couple that with his obsession with continuing Zhuge Liang's failed campaigns, and you have the reason he's looked down on. But really, I think he was a loyal and competent commander trying to due his job, but the circumstances just weren't on his side. After all, Zhuge Liang himself failed as well trying the same thing. Five times.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. I'm a bit of a history/Three Kingdoms nerd, if you couldn't tell.

Liu Bei, Cao Cao, and Sun Quan would be the choices they would likely make. I was trying to come up with something different, though they would work fine, aside from the fact that they all use swords (though Liu Bei dual wields two).

Of course, it's not very likely it will be someone from Dynasty Warriors, though I think it would be cool.

A deal with Ubisoft could land them Assassin's Creed AND Prince of Persia. Both would make good guests, in my opinion.

Watch it be a guest nobody ever saw coming.

Reactions: RWB
I would be super happy if we got a dynasty warriors character. Not because I like Dynasty Warriors; I could never figure out how to play the game, but because it would be a character that actually fit in with SC's historical theme and not just a cash grab at pasty-faced fanboys creaming themselves over being able to have a sword fight with Darth Vader in a fighting game.

TBH though, I don't see how we've come to the conclusion that it's a DW character. It's not that popular of a game. I still think it's gonna be a cash grab. :( If it's Lightning from FF, it's a cash grab I can grudgingly live with though.

What annoys me here is there are no female guest characters being spoken about

for me the ideal three is Lu Bu Cao Cao and Sun Shang Xiang.

How many versions of the 3 kingdoms and water margin charaters are there in games anwyays, like a million?

What annoys me here is there are no female guest characters being spoken about

for me the ideal three is Lu Bu Cao Cao and Sun Shang Xiang.

I suggested Shang Xiang in one of my posts, she's one of my favorites. Definitely my favorite chica in DW.

Not necessarily horrid... I'd say, a little too fanatical for his own good.

Only in the games. :P

He was at a massive disadvantage against Wei due to insufficient troops,

As of the time he was the leading officer, not really true. Shu had a surprisingly large army.

a lack of good officers

Liao Hua. Zhang Ji. Luo Xian. Wang Ping(superior to most of the older, famous generation). Just off the top of my head.

Shu had fewer good officers, but they certainly weren't more handicapped than before. Wei was just as crushingly more talented before as well.

a stupid and corrupt emperor,

Who, if Jiang Wei had been smart enough, would've been kept under control. Like all the people before him- Zhuge Liang, Jiang Wan and Fei Yi. And frankly, the emperor was merely stupid, not corrupt. It was the court eunuch who was mostly to blame.

and is completely outclassed by Deng Ai, whom he was unfortunate enough to be matched against.

Deng Ai was stellar, but really, Jiang Wei would have been outmatched against any of the good Wei tacticians.

Couple that with his obsession with continuing Zhuge Liang's failed campaigns, and you have the reason he's looked down on.

But really, I think he was a loyal and competent commander trying to due his job, but the circumstances just weren't on his side.

Actually, no. The reason he's looked down on is because he singlehandedly doomed Shu. It can't be blamed on others, not even Liu Shan.

Jiang Wei decided to let Wei through the fortifications at Hanzhong. Fortifications that let 1000 soldiers take on a hundred thousand.

Wei literally had to scale the mountains with these: http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kyxt4kPj7u1qzzmkno1_500.jpg

Why? Because he wants to beat Deng Ai in a glorious battle on the field.

...now recall his record in earlier battles against Deng Ai, and you see the problem.

In the book, he blames the court for not sending reinforcements. Historically, they were already there.

His blunder is probably the worst of the entire Era. He may be loyal, but he was most certainly not competent.

After all, Zhuge Liang himself failed as well trying the same thing. Five times.

Zhuge Liang caused noticeable damage with little casualties. Jiang Wei caused neglible damage with major casualties. Not really favorable for JW.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. I'm a bit of a history/Three Kingdoms nerd, if you couldn't tell.

Me too. ;)

Aha! Good show. I love it when somebody surprises me and shreds apart my entire argument. At least I know I'm not the only ROTTK geek on here XD

At least let me try to scrape some of my geek cred back, haha

Only in the games. :P

He was SO fanatical that he attempted to revive Shu after it's collapse by collaborating with an enemy general (Zhong Hui) who sought to rebel against Wei. He even sought to restore the weak-willed Liu Shan to the throne.

So fanatical that he died in the attempt, of course.

As of the time he was the leading officer, not really true. Shu had a surprisingly large army.

Shu practically drafted every last troop they could possibly manage and still only had enough to almost match what Wei had only on their border with Shu, and Wei could have spared more. Wei had many more on the border with Wu and elsewhere.

Liao Hua. Zhang Ji. Luo Xian. Wang Ping(superior to most of the older, famous generation). Just off the top of my head.

Shu had fewer good officers, but they certainly weren't more handicapped than before. Wei was just as crushingly more talented before as well.

Superior? I beg to differ. Not unskilled, but not on par in my opinion... and I'm not sure about the others but if my memory serves, Liao Hua was old as dirt at that point. He was a part of the older generation.

And Wei was never crushingly more talented before that point, except maybe in sheer number of talented officers. Shu was amply capable in terms of talented officers in the earlier years, just outnumbered, as always.

Who, if Jiang Wei had been smart enough, would've been kept under control. Like all the people before him- Zhuge Liang, Jiang Wan and Fei Yi. And frankly, the emperor was merely stupid, not corrupt. It was the court eunuch who was mostly to blame.

Liu Shan was corrupt... He practically sllowedHuang Hao (if I remember is name correctly) run the empire just because of his... Liking of him.

Besides... "kept under control?" Jiang Wei was loyal to Shu to a fault. I would venture to guess that it wasn't that he wasn't intelligent enough, it was that he didn't want to manipulate his lord.

Deng Ai was stellar, but really, Jiang Wei would have been outmatched against any of the good Wei tacticians.

Jiang Wei forced Zhong Hui (one of Wei's best) to decide to retreat, and it was up to Deng Ai to save him. A few Wei generals were perhaps on par or superior to Jiang Wei, but you make it seem as though they all were, which was certainly not the case.

Actually, no. The reason he's looked down on is because he singlehandedly doomed Shu. It can't be blamed on others, not even Liu Shan.

Jiang Wei decided to let Wei through the fortifications at Hanzhong. Fortifications that let 1000 soldiers take on a hundred thousand.[/quote]

Wei literally had to scale the mountains with these: http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kyxt4kPj7u1qzzmkno1_500.jpg

Why? Because he wants to beat Deng Ai in a glorious battle on the field.

...now recall his record in earlier battles against Deng Ai, and you see the problem.

In the book, he blames the court for not sending reinforcements. Historically, they were already there.

His blunder is probably the worst of the entire Era. He may be loyal, but he was most certainly not competent.[/quote]

Jiang Wei was a competent officer... Perhaps a little too shortsighted and arrogant to have been the commander of the entire army, however. If he were serving under someone like Deng Ai, instead of against him, I think he would have a valued general to him.

When I said that was why he looked down on, that is what I was hinting at. His repeated campaigns drained Shu of its resources... but you can't really say he killed Shu. Wei was larger than Shu and Wu combined, he may have made the inevitable come sooner, but my point is that at least he was trying. If he had succeeded, Shu likely would have won the war, and history would be rewritten.

Zhuge Liang caused noticeable damage with little casualties. Jiang Wei caused neglible damage with major casualties. Not really favorable for JW.

I can't really argue with that...

Though, Zhuge Liang had been draining Shu's resources just as Jiang Wei had, with only marginally better results. The borders remained virtually unchanged despite both of their efforts.

Me too. ;)

Apparently :)

It's refreshing to meet someone who actually knows about the history/book and not just Dynasty Warriors.

He was SO fanatical that he attempted to revive Shu after it's collapse by collaborating with an enemy general (Zhong Hui) who sought to rebel against Wei. He even sought to restore the weak-willed Liu Shan to the throne.

So fanatical that he died in the attempt, of course.

I suppose that could be fanaticism. It could just have been wounded pride. But hey, I don't know. Willing to concede the point.

Shu practically drafted every last troop they could possibly manage and still only had enough to almost match what Wei had only on their border with Shu, and Wei could have spared more. Wei had many more on the border with Wu and elsewhere.

True. Shu weren't hopelessly outnumbered, though. Partly because of Wu drawing a lot of Wei's attention, as well as the very dangerous tribes up north.

Superior? I beg to differ. Not unskilled, but not on par in my opinion...

I'm talking about Wang Ping, who most certainly was superior to Guan Yu(who, militarywise, was a huge failure- awesome administrator, though), Ma Chao(who was competent, but not all that impressive) and Huang Zhong(who accomplished rather little, but had an impressive showing at Hanzhong).

He'd be hard-pressed to challenge Zhang Fei, who was arguably the best general Shu ever had.

But it doesn't really matter. Double-checking my facts, and he died in 248(at more than 50 years of age). Jiang Wei weren't in command until 253(19 years after Zhuge died).

So yeah, he was a Zhuge only officer, and a darn good one.

To be fair, Zhuge did have perhaps the best lineup of Shu officers. Well, except lacking Liu Bei and Zhang Fei. :P

and I'm not sure about the others but if my memory serves, Liao Hua was old as dirt at that point. He was a part of the older generation.

69 years old.

It was more a comparison to the dead guys, rather than specific generations.

Not that he was part of the older generation anyhow. More like the mid-generation(which Zhuge was too). He was born 24 years after Liu Bei.

And Wei was never crushingly more talented before that point, except maybe in sheer number of talented officers.

Which kind of was what I said. :P

Shu was amply capable in terms of talented officers in the earlier years, just outnumbered, as always.

Examples beyond Zhang Fei and Liu Bei himself(both doubled as tacticians and generals)? Zhuge wasn't an early officer.

Cao Cao had Cao Ren(as good as Zhang Fei), Zhang He, Zhang Liao- all of these were more talented than just about any early Shu guy not named Zhang Fei and Liu Bei. And Jia Xu and Cheng Yu. And he himself was possibly the most talented man of the era.

...Or perhaps I should be going with the actual empires? In which case Shu loses both the above, while Wei keeps some.

I know both kingdoms had a bigger number of talents, but Wei had both bigger numbers, and generally bigger talents.

Heck, even Wang Ping, who was one of the best Zhuge Liang had, was a Wei officer who changed sides. :P

Liu Shan was corrupt... He practically sllowedHuang Hao (if I remember is name correctly) run the empire just because of his... Liking of him.

Note that Liu Shan WASN'T a noticeable negative influence on the war effort, actively going against Huang Hao on Jiang Wei's behalf, even forcing Huang Hao to apologize publicly for speaking badly of Jiang Wei?
Also, contrary to what some people think, he never called Jiang wei back at crucial times.

As for letting Huang Hao run the empire... The kid didn't really become the reigning emperor until 30 years into his reign. Before that, he was just being pampered. Is it really that surprising he was used by Huang Hao- who had been one of his closest "friends" ever since the earliest days of his regime?

Liu Shan, as far as emperors go, wasn't bad. Just mediocre and pampered. Compare him to actual corrupt and incompetent emperors, like Sun Hao, to see what I mean.

Jiang Wei forced Zhong Hui (one of Wei's best) to decide to retreat, and it was up to Deng Ai to save him.

Uh... when? The only historical mention I could find was the stalemate at Jiange(which was basically a similar defensive line to Hanzhong).

And Deng Ai was far away from that, going over the mountains.

A few Wei generals were perhaps on par or superior to Jiang Wei, but you make it seem as though they all were, which was certainly not the case.

No, I said the GOOD Wei tacticians. Any of the earlier commanders in chiefs(Cao Zhen, Sima Yi) would have stomped him just as bad as Deng Ai.

Zhong Hui was a good general, but he wasn't really a tactical genius.

Perhaps good wasn't a strong enough word. :P I meant the higher echelons.

Jiang Wei was a competent officer... Perhaps a little too shortsighted and arrogant to have been the commander of the entire army, however.

If he were serving under someone like Deng Ai, instead of against him, I think he would have a valued general to him.

You know what, I think you're right. He did do reasonably well when not in highest command himself.

So he was competent, just not at the task he was given. He was a good officer, but not a good commander/man in charge. He needed directions.

"Right man in the wrong place", as one could say.

When I said that was why he looked down on, that is what I was hinting at. His repeated campaigns drained Shu of its resources... but you can't really say he killed Shu.

I'm still of the opinion that him letting Wei past the almost impassible Hanzhong Pass was the cause of Shu's fall.

Especially since he dismantled the very same defenses erected by Wei Yan and that Zhuge himself had valued highly.

Wei was larger than Shu and Wu combined, he may have made the inevitable come sooner, but my point is that at least he was trying.

With Shu's northern border, they could've held Wei of almost indefinitely(instead of attacking and draining themselves).

Had Shu lasted to the northern tribes invasions, they would have had a decent shot at taking a lot of Wei.

Wu was actually more threatening in some ways.

If he had succeeded, Shu likely would have won the war, and history would be rewritten.

True.

I can't really argue with that...

Though, Zhuge Liang had been draining Shu's resources just as Jiang Wei had, with only marginally better results. The borders remained virtually unchanged despite both of their efforts.

True. None of them really had an easy time either, fighting some of the most brilliant men of the era- Cao Zhen, Sima Yi and Deng Ai.

On that note, Cao Zhen really should be playable in Dynasty Warriors. Would be fun to see an intellectual, tactician counterpart to Xu Zhu(Zhen was obese).

If you want some nice info on the three kingdoms period, ask the gamefaqs user Xiahou Mao. He hangs around a lot of history sites and has read up on almost all of the history books. :P

Note that Liu Shan WASN'T a noticeable negative influence on the war effort, actively going against Huang Hao on Jiang Wei's behalf, even forcing Huang Hao to apologize publicly for speaking badly of Jiang Wei?
Also, contrary to what some people think, he never called Jiang wei back at crucial times.

As for letting Huang Hao run the empire... The kid didn't really become the reigning emperor until 30 years into his reign. Before that, he was just being pampered. Is it really that surprising he was used by Huang Hao- who had been one of his closest "friends" ever since the earliest days of his regime?

Liu Shan, as far as emperors go, wasn't bad. Just mediocre and pampered. Compare him to actual corrupt and incompetent emperors, like Sun Hao, to see what I mean.

Point conceded.

Uh... when? The only historical mention I could find was the stalemate at Jiange(which was basically a similar defensive line to Hanzhong).

And Deng Ai was far away from that, going over the mountains.

I could have sworn I had read that, but now that I'm looking it up to try and find it I can't. Perhaps I was mistaken. If I find it later, I'll post it.

No, I said the GOOD Wei tacticians. Any of the earlier commanders in chiefs(Cao Zhen, Sima Yi) would have stomped him just as bad as Deng Ai.

Zhong Hui was a good general, but he wasn't really a tactical genius.

Perhaps good wasn't a strong enough word. :P I meant the higher echelons.

Who knows? Part of why he lost is how bad he underestimated Deng Ai... Would he have underestimated someone he had known more about, such as Sima Yi? And under Zhuge Liang, he had experienced Sima Yi's tactics. He may have stood a better chance, really, despite it being my opinion that Sima Yi and Deng Ai were about equal. What's the old saying, "Better the enemy you know than the one you don't?"

All things considered, though, you're probably right.

You know what, I think you're right. He did do reasonably well when not in highest command himself.

So he was competent, just not at the task he was given. He was a good officer, but not a good commander/man in charge. He needed directions.

"Right man in the wrong place", as one could say.

Unfortunately for Shu.

I'm still of the opinion that him letting Wei past the almost impassible Hanzhong Pass was the cause of Shu's fall.

Especially since he dismantled the very same defenses erected by Wei Yan and that Zhuge himself had valued highly.

With Shu's northern border, they could've held Wei of almost indefinitely(instead of attacking and draining themselves).

Had Shu lasted to the northern tribes invasions, they would have had a decent shot at taking a lot of Wei.

He was very impatient, wasn't he? But he couldn't have known that the tribes would invade... Of course he could have waited for an opportunity, or worked with foreign tribes to get them to aid him.

I like Wei Yan, I hate how they always make him so stupid in DW when he wasn't at all.

On that note, Cao Zhen really should be playable in Dynasty Warriors. Would be fun to see an intellectual, tactician counterpart to Xu Zhu(Zhen was obese).

Cao Zhen was obese? O-o

I hadn't heard that... But yeah, that'd be cool. Cao Zhen would make a good officer for Wei.

But for me, I'm just really happy Zhuge Dan and Deng Ai made it into DW7 (though I still haven't played it). They are my two favorites (along with Yuan Shao, who was already in the game, and Hu Che-Er, who will never be in the game as a playable officer) from the ROTTK games.

If you want some nice info on the three kingdoms period, ask the gamefaqs user Xiahou Mao. He hangs around a lot of history sites and has read up on almost all of the history books. :P

Haha, well I might. I like to read about history (with this era being perhaps my favorite). I have only just begun to read the ROTTK book, though.

I can say honestly that this board is one of the last places I would have expected to have a conversation like this XD

Reactions: RWB
I can say honestly that this board is one of the last places I would have expected to have a conversation like this XD

Me as well. XD

By the way, I have a little brother(He'll be 20 this november) with just as big an interest in the period as me.

As for Cao Cao being the most talented of the era... main opposition would likely be Sun Ce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back