Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Anecdote incoming:

For every Soul Calibur fan I’ve interacted with in real life (not across the internet) all of them have universally stated that they are super excited for the game and will be buying it at release on at least one platform. Not a single one has backed up the boycotting side, and only one has even brought that subject up (and even then it was to make fun of the side of the boycotters).

Okubo stating that this SC needs support to continue the series isn’t even a point worth mentioning. It’s just an understood fact in the gaming industry. What happens when a new installment of a series tanks hard? Well, that’s the end of that series.

I cannot see, with how happy everyone is with how the game plays and how many things were getting after such a long wait period, how SCVI can fail.

All I see is a bright, shiny future for all things Soul Calibur including a ton of hype tournaments, fun local gatherings, and entertaining posts on this and other forums.

Happy thoughts people, happy thoughts.
I think only crazy people are actually serious about boycotting it, but with that said, the success of SC6 depends a lot on casual gamers. I think it's safe to say that almost everyone posting in this thread is planning on buying the game (heck, I've already pre-ordered two copies and Namco hasn't even announced any of my mains). But the big question is how interested mainstream gamers are in SC6.

One thing which has changed a lot since SC5 was released is that streaming has exploded in popularity. I hope there will be some big streamers picking up SC6 as that should help to get more people to notice the game.

Depends on how you look at it.

All tournament consoles will have all the characters available to play so - no.
Tournament players who are already invested into Tira will be buying her day one so - no
Affecting the potential of creating new Tira players that could go to compete in tournaments - yes

If you want to keep things simple on the idea of DLC is that the more paywall barriers companies put up, the less sales and sustained player base will be. It's already a ton on money to get the full experience for a fighting game.

Example, as of August 2018

PS4 - £250
Broadband - £300 for a year
PS+ - £50 for a year
SC6 Deluxe - £80

So four barriers to entry for the complete experience at around £680 which could quite possibly be the cheapest option available for anyone starting from scratch. Even if you have already got a PS4 there's still three barriers to entry at £430 for the full experience. I can image a lot of people have more important things to spend that kind of money on and less people means less online activity which means less sales as people do buy games for a big online player base. I would still be playing Tekken online but I have much more important things to spend my money on than a online pass and I don't think I'm the only one.

If you have a PS4 I find it incredibly hard to believe you dont have internet or playstation plus. Like, what are you getting at? This really only applies to people that dont already own a home console or PC already, and even then I wont pretend the SoulCalibur series is a console buying game on it's own. that's just silly. You'll still be playing tekken to fool yourself into believing that the latest installment wasn't utter trash and needed to be fixed by at least 2 season passes to make it kind of decent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I definitely don't want to see another lean female character. I hate that Capcom is the only dev that actually understands that powerful women tend to be bulky and muscular. Not to the same degree of men of the same relative fitness of course, but definitely considerably more than the barbie dolls in any fighting game not called Street Fighter.

Well, you don't need to be bulky in order to be powerful. Specially in a fighting game with melee weapons... what really matters are other factors such as speed and agility, example:

Or a good flow and control of movement, example:

Those are clearly more important than being bulky... So it makes a lot of sense to have lean characters in SoulCalibur at least.

Last edited:
I find it incredibly hard to believe you dont have internet or playstation plus. Like, what are you getting at?

I prefer single player games over online multiplayer games, I see zero point paying for Playstation plus unless I'm getting my money's worth, plus as I said I have other priorities with my money. Would you pay for membership to a golf range if you only used it sparingly in a year?

That could apply to literally every game right now what kinda weird post...

I prefer single player games over online multiplayer games, I see zero point paying for Playstation plus unless I'm getting my money's worth, plus as I said I have other priorities with my money. Would you pay for membership to a golf range if you only used it sparingly in a year?
I can get one month of ps+ for 10$

I can get one month of ps+ for 10$
I just said sparingly in a year and anyway you're missing my point. When the sparkle has gone from SC6 (like it has with Tekken 7) people will make a choice whether to pay for Playstation Plus (you know that barrier to entry for the full experience) or not. THAT affects the size of the online player base meaning less players which means less matches which means even the hardcore start to move onto other things because they get bored waiting for matches and fighting the same online players.

I just said sparingly in a year and anyway you're missing my point. When the sparkle has gone from SC6 (like it has with Tekken 7) people will make a choice whether to pay for Playstation Plus (you know that barrier to entry for the full experience) or not. THAT affects the size of the online player base meaning less players which means less matches which means even the hardcore start to move onto other things because they get bored waiting for matches and fighting the same online players.
Uh?

So...51 days left, guys!

51 more days of suffering...

FeelsBadMan.png

im playing soul series since soul blade in psx favorite franchise, i skip 5 for obvious reasons, my main was sophitia in the first 2 game i have to switch to cassandra in 2 cause sophie wasnt, and i cant go back now, i need cassie and i can undestand why she is not revealed yet.

either way i will buy the game on pre order, the game is greatness , but i really need cassie back

Sorry to take a shot at your superiority complex but tournament players alone won't keep the series afloat. If the series wants to survive it needs to accommodate a wide audience of "casuals and uninformed" who won't just buy whatever because it helps them in a competition. Unless, you don't want any more soulcalibur games?

The Casuals get the CAS, Story mode and Libra of Souls mode.

And yes, your casual player who buys the game and puts 4 hours then sells it to gamestop won't keep it afloat.

Hardcore players who buy all the characters, and continually support the game will keep it afloat.

if you're not gonna buy the game because you're pissy about who is in the game or who will or will not be DLC... then don't buy it. People who are throwing temper tantrums over DLC and characters rosters are in the minority for SCVI and will hardly influence sales

The Casuals get the CAS, Story mode and Libra of Souls mode.

And yes, your casual player who buys the game and puts 4 hours then sells it to gamestop won't keep it afloat.

Hardcore players who buy all the characters, and continually support the game will keep it afloat.

if you're not gonna buy the game because you're pissy about who is in the game or who will or will not be DLC... then don't buy it. People who are throwing temper tantrums over DLC and characters rosters are in the minority for SCVI and will hardly influence sales
Another game I followed and loved very much has taken the pro-hardcore aproach. Currently it's dying a slow and painful (to the community) death. Granted it wasn't the only problem with the game but every game needs sales numbers to survive. I can safely say that no more than 2% of sales is the hardcore crowd.

I think people too often try to separate the tournament and casual fanbase. Maybe back in the day there was a distinct stratification, but with streaming and social media, they directly feed into each other.

A casual community independent on its own can really own affect pre-orders and sales within the first couple months. The tournament community can only get the big pot bonuses and sponsors continually doled out for so long on their own.

Ultimately, you need the much larger "casual" players to buy the game, but the competitive scenes are constant marketing unique to competitive games, and the only way they get publicity is through frequent demand and the social health of the game as viewed by the FGC.

So they need both, and from the Bamco perspective, they will allow for more resources into the game based on sales, and from the Project Soul perspective when they get E-sports money/viewership/sponsors, they will have the proper backing to make good on that.

People should hope all the main FGC commentators get in on this, all the name brands, all the Tekken collaboration events, and any of the celebrities that cross into the genre (i.e. Kenny Omega, Xavier Woods).

Back