Soulcalibur arcade cabinet project

Sir_Kayne

[08] Mercenary
Hello everybody ,
I will present you my Namco arcade cabinet Project.
That's a reproduction of the real one you can see on this flyer :

21014401.png

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=4769&image=1

But the it will be an Soulcalibur cabinet, like this :
20110216132627-Sir%20Kayne-soul-calibur-rouge-face.jpg

(A rare picture of a real Soulcalibur cabinet)

I post on a french Forum the details of the construction:
http://www.gamoover.net/Forums/index.php?topic=22765.0
(I will not "flood" the forum with technicals craps, but you can take a look, there are many pictures)

It begin with that :
20101127223722-Sir%20Kayne-Matiere-premiere.JPG

After many days and hard work...
20110426222817-Sir%20Kayne-Borne-vue-blanc.JPG

The cabinet is a little special, even you not see it.
It can be totaly dismantled ! I use a strong system like furniture so I can easy move the cabinet in a other room or location (of course there are rolls under the cabinet, but some door are too small for this monster :))

It's not finish now but more advance as the picture.
I be on the hard part (for me), the painting !

I will post you more picture when I finish the painting part !

Wow that's amazing.

Is it possible (or are you permitted) to PM me blueprints of the cabinet as well as textures of Soul Calibur art about to be applied to the cabinet. I would love to model this in 3D.

Thanks !

I have the cabinet in 3D all ready, I create first a bleuprint with Turbocad.
I will send you it this weekend (what format you want ? 3DS, DXF, ...)
But don't have texture it now, I have a big problem with the art reproduction :(

Ok, some new fotos.
I finish the painting part, and assemble some part for give an idea of the futur result:

20110827214523-Sir%20Kayne-Borne-alpha6.JPG

The panel (unfinish)
20110827214634-Sir%20Kayne-Borne-alpha9.JPG

Even the screw are the same as the original (here the HP panel with 221 holes per HP, hand drill !)
20110827215241-Sir%20Kayne-Borne-alpha10.JPG

News fotos will follow when I finish the assembling !

PS: I didn't foget the 3DS files, but I have few times at moment. I will try to look that next week.

Eek. I am a bit concerned with the button layout there. Seems mighty uncomfortable for playing Calibur on. This is the layout that is being used now.
80487luck.jpg

Pay no attention to the circle around the joystick saying, "Good Luck". I just grabbed this picture on the internet and this was what was written on it. It'll do perfectly to show the button layout though.

As you can see, it's curved more like a VF style layout. This was refined from the previous SC one to be more ergonomically correct, and I've played this layout for years and it is so comfortable you won't even know you've been playing for 6 hours straight!

Thanks !
Eek. I am a bit concerned with the button layout there. ..
As you can see, it's curved more like a VF style layout. This was refined from the previous SC one to be more ergonomically correct, and I've played this layout for years and it is so comfortable you won't even know you've been playing for 6 hours straight!

Yes for the layout of button, I came of the same conclusion as you.
But I want first reproduce as the original the control panel.

What I not show you, is that the cabinet as an interchangeable control panel (like a Naomi cabinet with a metal plate), so I will later create an other control panel with the curved button position.

Here the explication:
That's a foto from a real cabinet (that I take as model for dimensions)
20110116230943-yannick60-P1030433.JPG

Awesome. You've really done your homework. I actually prefer those IL-Eurosticks for Calibur as opposed to the japanese square gates. I am not sure what you're using. They kind of look like some generic brand to be honest. I would suggest getting those IL Eurosticks. Don't get Happs, as they are poor quality now.

Actually, I use Suzo-Happs system 500.
That the original stick use on this cabinet, that why my choice.

IL Eurosticks are good ? I will test it, thanks for advice. Maybe I will change later :)

Yes sir. They are the much better than suzo happs "competition" joystick. The IL-Eurostick are what Happs used many years ago. Since then, Happs has been making their own, and they are alot less quality. They break so easily and use cheap imitation cherry switches. These are the ones you want to get http://www.lizardlick.com/IL_c_149.html perhaps you can find a retailer near your area to possibly avoid international shipping charges.

You should have told me there was other art you were looking for. I almost didn't see this thread. I think I might have some more art assets for you for a few of those exterior panels. I have to do some digging through my poster storage tubes to be sure. I'll update you before Friday.

Back