Soulcalibur VI General Roster Speculation Thread

SoulCalibur VI: which 3 characters do you most hope for?

• A brand new character

• Amy

• Cassandra

• Hilde

• Hwang/Yunsung and/or Lizardman

• Rock

• Setsuka

• Viola

• Z.W.E.I.

• Other: Abyss, Algol, Dampierre, Elysium, Leixia, Li Long, Patroklos, etc.

Results are only viewable after voting.
So, the three remaining DLC characters...

I'm going to assume that there is one guest among them, based on Okubo's E3 comments about Geralt being the only guest character "on disc." It's possible they're all guests, but that would be a lot of licensing to deal with. Of the two remaining characters, I think it would make sense to include one male and one female among them.

POTENTIAL MALE DLC: Rock, Li Long, Hwang, Aeon, YunSeong, Algol
POTENTIAL FEMALE DLC: Cassandra, Setsuka, Amy, Hilde
POTENTIAL DLC COMPANIES: Square-Enix, Sega, Capcom, SNK, Ubisoft, Disney, AMC or another Namco-Bandai property (Basically everyone except for Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft or Blizzard.)

Given these possibilities, I think the most likely combo of characters would be Hwang, Cassandra and 2B.

I honestly don't think any of the males are sure-things, but Hwang is my favorite. If they made him the same age he was in SC1, they could design him to be just as sexy as YunSeong became.

While Cassandra and Setsuka are both popular, I think Cassandra would take priority because she's European. Of the six female characters in the base game, four of them are Asian. (And before you argue that Setsuka isn't actually Japanese, her design, fighting style and name are all incredibly Japanese, so her actual ethnicity doesn't change that.) I'd personally prefer Hilde, but I just don't think she can compete with Cassandra's popularity.

2B is the most obvious guest character since Square is very willing to license their characters to other companies, they're likely trying to build NieR into a tent-pole IP, and I see casuals asking for 2B in every article about SCVI written on a mainstream site. Honestly I think the only reason they wouldn't do it is because it would be too obvious. Once something becomes expected, it's less likely to attract attention. But still, Geralt and 2B are probably the two most popular video game characters in the world right now that aren't owned by Nintendo or Blizzard.

I think this pretty much hit it on the head; the only potential shift I could see occurring in this list is maybe we get a different guest character. If we get 2B that will be 3 Females and 1 Male (assuming the rest of your list is correct); which is usually the opposite ratio

So, the three remaining DLC characters...

I'm going to assume that there is one guest among them, based on Okubo's E3 comments about Geralt being the only guest character "on disc." It's possible they're all guests, but that would be a lot of licensing to deal with. Of the two remaining characters, I think it would make sense to include one male and one female among them.

POTENTIAL MALE DLC: Rock, Li Long, Hwang, Aeon, YunSeong, Algol
POTENTIAL FEMALE DLC: Cassandra, Setsuka, Amy, Hilde
POTENTIAL DLC COMPANIES: Square-Enix, Sega, Capcom, SNK, Ubisoft, Disney, AMC or another Namco-Bandai property (Basically everyone except for Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft or Blizzard.)

Given these possibilities, I think the most likely combo of characters would be Hwang, Cassandra and 2B.

I honestly don't think any of the males are sure-things, but Hwang is my favorite. If they made him the same age he was in SC1, they could design him to be just as sexy as YunSeong became.

While Cassandra and Setsuka are both popular, I think Cassandra would take priority because she's European. Of the six female characters in the base game, four of them are Asian. (And before you argue that Setsuka isn't actually Japanese, her design, fighting style and name are all incredibly Japanese, so her actual ethnicity doesn't change that.) I'd personally prefer Hilde, but I just don't think she can compete with Cassandra's popularity.

2B is the most obvious guest character since Square is very willing to license their characters to other companies, they're likely trying to build NieR into a tent-pole IP, and I see casuals asking for 2B in every article about SCVI written on a mainstream site. Honestly I think the only reason they wouldn't do it is because it would be too obvious. Once something becomes expected, it's less likely to attract attention. But still, Geralt and 2B are probably the two most popular video game characters in the world right now that aren't owned by Nintendo or Blizzard.

I think this pretty much hit it on the head; the only potential shift I could see occurring in this list is maybe we get a different guest character. If we get 2B that will be 3 Females and 1 Male (assuming the rest of your list is correct); which is usually the opposite ratio

No. This post doesn't hit the nail on the head. While it's not bad, it does show some odd bias. By excluding Viola and ZWEI while including less popular characters such as Algol is a bit silly.

Yeah, I don't really see Algol as potential DLC, especially with Azwel filling the role of "boss character wielding both Soul swords". I don't see ZWEI as a strong possibility either, but I definitely think he's more likely than Algol.

I don't honestly believe that Amy, Hilde, Algol, Dampierre, Z.W.E.I., or Viola are possible, DLC or not (and the kids go without saying). The first four can appear in SoulCalibur VII, and the last two (and the kids) can appear in SoulCalibur VIII, if we keep the original plan intact but develop it properly this time. But the timeline governs the character inclusion possibility, and these folks are simply not active prior to SoulCalibur II, so it's not plausible that they would include them, even as DLC, since we are under the assumption that DLC characters will also have Soul Chronicle stories.

In any case, the only even slightly possible remaining characters are Li Long, Rock, Hwang, Lizardman, Edge Master, Cassandra, Yun-seong, and Setsuka.

I don't honestly believe that Amy, Hilde, Algol, Dampierre, Z.W.E.I., or Viola are possible, DLC or not (and the kids go without saying). The first four can appear in SoulCalibur VII, and the last two (and the kids) can appear in SoulCalibur VIII, if we keep the original plan intact but develop it properly this time. But the timeline governs the character inclusion possibility, and these folks are simply not active prior to SoulCalibur II, so it's not plausible that they would include them, even as DLC, since we are under the assumption that DLC characters will also have Soul Chronicle stories.

In any case, the only even slightly possible remaining characters are Li Long, Rock, Hwang, Lizardman, Edge Master, Cassandra, Yun-seong, and Setsuka.

I might agree with you if the game was truly about keeping things in the timeline, and Bamco wasn't thinking about money or popularity.

But they do want to make $$$ and make fans happy, and they might also prioritize unique weapons, which many of those you excluded happen to have.

If there's a S2, I think Hilde, Amy, Viola and maybe ZWEI each have a decent chance, but it all depends on what happens with S1.

But the timeline governs the character inclusion possibility, and these folks are simply not active prior to SoulCalibur II, so it's not plausible that they would include them, even as DLC,

The timeline of SC6 covers from Soul Blade to SC2. SC2 is the same year as SC3 and SC4 so everyone from Soul Blade to SC4 can be included in SC6 without screwing with SC6's in game timeline.

The timeline of SC6 covers from Soul Blade to SC2. SC2 is the same year as SC3 and SC4 so everyone from Soul Blade to SC4 can be included in SC6 without screwing with SC6's in game timeline.
Yes, SoulCalibur II-IV take place in the same year, but the important distinction is that SoulCalibur VI's events only go up to SoulCalibur II without starting SoulCalibur II, so characters and events that are contingent upon anything after SoulCalibur II wouldn't make the cut, because their story would take place after the next main story events that aren't included and thus wouldn't have proper context. If SoulCalibur VI's main story continued and included Nightmare's second coming, where he would ultimately be defeated by Raphael stabbing Soul Edge in the eye, then I would agree that SoulCalibur III-IV event-locked characters would be inclusive, but since it does not, then I don't.

Yes, SoulCalibur II-IV take place in the same year, but the important distinction is that SoulCalibur VI's events only go up to SoulCalibur II without starting SoulCalibur II, so characters and events that are contingent upon anything after SoulCalibur II wouldn't make the cut, because their story would take place after the next main story events that aren't included and thus wouldn't have proper context. If SoulCalibur VI's main story continued and included Nightmare's second coming, where he would ultimately be defeated by Raphael stabbing Soul Edge in the eye, then I would agree that SoulCalibur III-IV event-locked characters would be inclusive, but since it does not, then I don't.

You're shifting goalposts here when your argument was that the timeline governs character inclusion. SC6 timeline stretches over three games with one of those games being the same time period as the next two games. With this in mind you've got some flex to include characters from SC3 and SC4 in some fashion. It doesn't have to be main story driven, they can simply be their own contained character driven story with Setsuka being one of the finest examples to exploit this. Algol is the only one that would be difficult without going into SC4 main plot territory, everyone else up to SC4 is game.

You're shifting goalposts here when your argument was that the timeline governs character inclusion. SC6 timeline stretches over three games with one of those games being the same time period as the next two games. With this in mind you've got some flex to include characters from SC3 and SC4 in some fashion. It doesn't have to be main story driven, they can simply be their own contained character driven story with Setsuka being one of the finest examples to exploit this. Algol is the only one that would be difficult without going into SC4 main plot territory, everyone else up to SC4 is game.
It's not shifting goalposts, no, the story goes up to 1590, and we don't know when exactly in 1590, but it's 1590 before SoulCalibur II starts. So let's say, for the sake of argument, it's March, and SoulCalibur II happens between March and July, then SoulCalibur III happens between July and October, and then SoulCalibur IV happens between October and December. All I'm saying is that, in that case, we can include things for the year 1590 in January through March, but not March through December. Including the start of the year doesn't mean you can automatically include the entire year.

Edit: Added additional words and formatting for clarity.

Last edited:
It's not shifting goalposts, no, the story goes up to 1590, and we don't know when exactly in 1590, but it's 1590 before SoulCalibur II starts. So let's say, for the sake of argument, it's March. SoulCalibur II happens between March and July, then SoulCalibur III happens between July and October, and then SoulCalibur IV happens between October and December. All I'm saying is that we can include things for the year 1590 in January through March but not March through December. Including the start of the year doesn't mean you can automatically include the entire year.

You're being way to rigid when the date of character stories, and to some degree the date of the main plot elements are not completely set in stone. We can agree that events past the separation of Siegfried and Nightmare are off limits in SC6 but motivations of characters such as Setsuka, Hilde and Amy are perfectly viable to be explored before that event. Also these characters would be DLC so they have the advantage of having their story elements just outside of the events told in SC6 providing they're working closely around the timeline.

I put Setsuka in my possibles list, because her only motivation is avenging her master, and while he doesn't die until SoulCalibur III, he was injured by Mitsurugi well before that time, and continued to train her, so seeing Setsuka while she is training and fighting her internal struggles about her feelings for her master, that's an angle for her story that fits within the scope of before SoulCalibur II, and shows us who she was before she was the demon she claimed to be in SoulCalibur III, much like we're seeing Tira's journey before Soul Edge/Nightmare for the first time in-game.

Hilde, not so much, since Wolfkrone was dealing with its own affairs and problems before joining the fight properly only when Inferno Nightmare of SoulCalibur IV showed up, so it would be the briefest of touches if we were to get anything with Hilde. Which you might argue the same for Talim, since her story is going to, in all likelihood, have the least amount of content in it by far, but I just don't see it as very likely, personally, when they could wait for the next game and give her full story, before, during, and after the conflict and story events that she actively participates in.

Amy could and most likely will be getting story, but only from the lens of Raphael, which doesn't diminish her at all, but the argument against her being playable is that she isn't trained to fight until after SoulCalibur II's events, as a direct response to Raphael himself being nearly defeated, he trains Amy so that she can defend herself if necessary, if he should fall again in battle. He has no reason to train her before this, as he is only her guardian before then, so for storyline reasons, she wouldn't be playable.

I still think you're being way too rigid because you're thinking in terms of that they have to include those key elements. In other words what I'm saying is that new stories about the characters can be told outside of those key events.

won't be surprised now if DLC is Cass, Hwang, and guest/liz

though I'm hoping that if there is a guest, that it's for season 2. :)

I put Setsuka in my possibles list, because her only motivation is avenging her master, and while he doesn't die until SoulCalibur III, he was injured by Mitsurugi well before that time, and continued to train her, so seeing Setsuka while she is training and fighting her internal struggles about her feelings for her master, that's an angle for her story that fits within the scope of before SoulCalibur II, and shows us who she was before she was the demon she claimed to be in SoulCalibur III, much like we're seeing Tira's journey before Soul Edge/Nightmare for the first time in-game.

Hilde, not so much, since Wolfkrone was dealing with its own affairs and problems before joining the fight properly only when Inferno Nightmare of SoulCalibur IV showed up, so it would be the briefest of touches if we were to get anything with Hilde. Which you might argue the same for Talim, since her story is going to, in all likelihood, have the least amount of content in it by far, but I just don't see it as very likely, personally, when they could wait for the next game and give her full story, before, during, and after the conflict and story events that she actively participates in.

Amy could and most likely will be getting story, but only from the lens of Raphael, which doesn't diminish her at all, but the argument against her being playable is that she isn't trained to fight until after SoulCalibur II's events, as a direct response to Raphael himself being nearly defeated, he trains Amy so that she can defend herself if necessary, if he should fall again in battle. He has no reason to train her before this, as he is only her guardian before then, so for storyline reasons, she wouldn't be playable.

aren't there other timelines already outside of sc2 in this game? i could be wrong idk

No. This post doesn't hit the nail on the head. While it's not bad, it does show some odd bias. By excluding Viola and ZWEI while including less popular characters such as Algol is a bit silly.
"Odd bias"? I mean, I never intended for it to be a wholly objective analysis, but I don't see how my biases are "odd."

The inclusion of Algol and exclusion of V/Z wasn't the result of bias. I honestly like V/Z way more than Algol. But my assumption is that we won't be getting any SCV characters. Now, please note I said this is an assumption. I could be wrong. But if here's my reasoning.

(1) I think they took the series back to its origin mostly because fans didn't like the cast of SoulCalibur V.
(2) Massaging the storyline so that V/Z fit into the events of the first SoulCalibur requires more creativity than we've seen so far in the story.
(3) Okubo suggested we wouldn't be seeing any of the characters from 4 or 5. Which I realize also make Hilde and Algol less likely, but they don't have the same issues as the SCV cast.

tl;dr: I was only listing all the missing characters from SE to SC4.
though I'm hoping that if there is a guest, that it's for season 2. :)
You should really stop talking about a season 2 as if it's a foregone conclusion. SoulCalibur VI first needs to be embraced and supported by fans with more enthusiasm than any other SoulCalibur in the last sixteen years. I'm not saying it can't happen, but there's a lot of stuff that has to happen beforehand.

Back