Spacing: Lines in the Sand

Fighting is difficult. You have to worry about mixups, frames, okizeme- the opponent is a thorn in your side, a problem. He has all of these options and you have to compensate for them. What if- you didn’t have to play his game at all? What if you could control the match and only engage the opponent when you wanted to?

There is a way- a very important concept that you may have heard of before. It’s called “spacing”. It is a technique that, when mastered, can make you impossible to hit- an untouchable master of your domain.

I’d like you to watch a short clip to illustrate what I mean.

(There’s some violence and strong language. Parental discretion is advised.)

Now that’s… good spacing!

Did you see what he did there? He drew a line on the floor with his sword.

Here’s the important part- here is the concept-

Cross the line and you will die.

Did you notice him fighting in a circle? Did you notice the arc of his sword (and his boot)? Anything that approaches the boundary gets destroyed.

Now you can’t physically see this boundary- but I’m sure some of you can imagine it- you can visualize it. It is most certainly there.

For lack of a better word, I personally call this a “killzone”. Just what it says on the tin- enter the killzone, somebody gets hurt.

Let’s see how this applies in the game.

Stage 1: Keepout

If you haven’t been doing so already, you should pay attention to the range of your attacks. How close do you need to be to hit? What’s the distance where if you throw out an attack you’ll whiff? You need to know these things. Most players can answer these questions naturally and intuitively; I need to be… around here, to hit, if I’m not in… this general area I can’t hit the other guy.

You get this from playing over and over again. In essence, you are memorizing your range as you play. Take note of this- your spacing skills will get better with experience. Or, rather, you must have lots of hours logged with the same character so you can intuitively feel exactly where you can attack and where you can’t reach. (This is reason #2 why you need to pick a “main”.)

Now, if you can feel this out, you can probably visualize where you need to be for your attacks to hit. It won’t be exact (at least if you’re not highly experienced) but it’s probably good enough.

---

2/7/2013 UPDATE - Here's a supplementary video, to assist in finding the range of your attacks. If you're having trouble, I recommend you give it a look-see!

---

Let’s look at some pictures.

neutral.png

Pat vs. aPat, both are at neutral. What’s my killzone?

range.png

The main spacing tool I use is 66B. The range looks about like this. As you can see, aPat is just outside of my killzone. I have a feeling that he’s going to cross into my killzone very soon, so I input the move.

cross.png

Now, you can’t see the line, but if you can look back at the above picture, and mentally place, visualize that line, that killzone, on this picture, you may have noticed that aPat is a little closer. That is to say, he is now touching the killzone. If everything is as I say, he should be in danger right now, and I should hit him.

hit.png

And that’s that. aPat entered the killzone, and he… got killed. It’s a done deal.

Now, here’s the real concept I’m trying to get across, and that is:

Use your attacks to control the space in front of you.

You’re saying, “look, I own this space, this is mine, if you come in here you’re dead.”

If you’ve ever heard the phrase, “Hitting with the tip”, or heard people talking about fighting at “tip range”, what they are referring to is attacking opponents right as they enter the killzone. Hey, I own this space, I’m not letting you go any further.

Now, what you want to do, is hit them when they run in, when they advance. Right when they enter the killzone, metal needs to be flying in their face.

Well, how do you tell when they’re going to run in? Look at their tendencies.

Are they running in recklessly? Are they moving back and forth? Maybe they have a rhythm where a certain time passes and then they get anxious and decide to move in and start attacking.

Whatever method you use to figure out when they are going to approach, when you know they will run in, hit them!

If I have a life lead, I can win by time out and continue to hang back. The opponent will have to approach eventually if they want to land attacks on me so that they can gain a life lead themselves- and this is where I can continue to enforce my killzone. If the opponent continues to run in when they are repelled, they will lose (they end up destroying themselves!)

This is the basics of the “keepout” strategy. That is, I keep you out of my space. It is like a wall, a hurdle that the opponent has to jump before they can start fighting you for real.

To put it another way, it is… also like a shield. It is safety. If your opponent cannot reach you, they cannot hurt you. You are using an attack as defense. This is the true alternative to guarding- using your sword as your G button.

Proper keepout is really, really, really, really frustrating to fight against. By the time your opponent manages to break through your defenses and enter your space, he’ll be weakened and weary- and ripe for the kill.

La Verdadera Destreza

Let’s step aside for a moment so that you can see where I’m taking this concept from.

Drawing lines/circles and fighting with imaginary boundaries or “killzones” is nothing new. Here are pictures from a Spanish system (circa 16th century) of fencing based on geometry and logic.

You don’t have to understand Destreza to understand these pictures. Take a look.

destreza01.jpg
Spacing1.png
art_of_fencing_3.gif
essai.jpg
alfieri2-thumb.jpg
alfieri3-thumb.jpg
de2.JPG
Almanach-Old_Sword_Play_01-XIX.png

That’s real spacing.

Stage 2: Evasion

Now that we’ve talked about learning your own killzones and enforcing them, we have to talk about the other person’s killzones. Remember this quote?

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

We know our killzones. But we can’t get better if we don’t know the other guy’s killzones, too!

Know your opponent’s range!

This comes with experience as well. After you have played against a character many times, you can start to feel where they will be able to hit you, and where they will miss if they try. You can start to visualize their killzones as well.

If you know your opponent’s range, well, what can you do with that information?

What you want to do is stay just outside of that range. Or, you can stay a little bit past the line, and then backdash out when you feel they’re going to attack. Or, you can step forward and back over and over across the line, as a provocation to your opponent, like “dancing” in front of them.

“Dancing”, or erratic, spastic movement, can also be used wholly outside of your opponent’s killzone, because it makes you look like you could possibly run in whenever you wanted. Even if this isn’t the case, moving rapidly like this blurs the edges of your killzone, making it difficult for your opponent to judge the distance properly.

The point of this is to trick your opponent into making a mistake and throwing out an attack too early. When they do, they will whiff, meaning you now have the advantage, and it is your turn to attack.

(This is why you need to know about advantage and disadvantage as a basic function of the game. In real life, it’s called “having the high ground”. Study it! Positions of strength and weakness control everything, from basic frames to spacing to matchups to okizeme. Flipping your situation and turning the tides, shifting your momentum, becomes key- if you are put into disadvantaged situations and you can turn them around and regain the advantage, you will win.)

When you want to move forward, you are at disadvantage (because the opponent can apply keepout before you can get into attack range). However, when the opponent whiffs, they are at disadvantage. When you both are at disadvantage, either-

- one will cancel out the other leading to a reset

or

- one will be bigger than the other leading to advantage or punishment (severe advantage).

If someone is playing the keepout game with you, but they are playing it rather safely- they are using moves that you can’t quite punish on whiff (or maybe your reactions are too slow to punish whiffs properly)- you still have the advantage! Run up and throw them when they whiff (i.e. force a 50/50 using the advantage that you have.) This is extremely effective and an excellent way to start an offense.

Stage 3: Zone Pushing

So far, I’ve been discussing ways to use spacing in a defensive manner- either by keeping opponents out, or by tricking opponents into whiffing.

Well, what about taking the initiative? What about being aggressive? I want to press buttons, I don’t want to wait. What about me?

You can still use spacing aggressively. You can do this by pushing your killzone onto your opponent.

If you know the range of your killzone, instead of keeping the opponent out of your space, you bring the killzone to them. You literally move forward until they are touching the killzone, and then you hit them.

You don’t go any further than the edge of your killzone- you keep the distance constant.

If the opponent tries to move forward, hit them. If they stand still, move forward, touch the killzone to your opponent, then hit them.

If your opponent tries to retaliate, since you are at range, your backdash will most likely be more effective- so just step backwards out of range. They whiff, they are probably now within your killzone (so you should hit them).

This sort of “aggressive spacing” is used most notoriously by Keev. Watch carefully how he is controlling the space as he moves forward or backwards. Watch his range, and watch his movement as it relates to his killzone and to RTD’s killzone.

You might notice that sometimes he approaches past his maximum killzone edge. Why?

You do this so you can conceal your intentions of pushing your killzone and staying at a certain range (if you are too obvious with your actions, you are going to get read and punished). When Keev does move forward, it is when he wants to move forward- he is allowing his controlled space to shrink for any number of reasons (I would believe mostly to provide a changing, varied attack style and become harder to predict).

When he is in close, the principle of the killzone does not change. Instead of using agA, BB, etc. to control space, he can use throws or 3K/1K/6K. These shorter-range tools have their own killzones that should be managed up close as well.

In Closing

If you’ve been playing the game for a while, these concepts should come relatively easy to you. Since you already know your range, it just means you have to pay more attention to enforcing your killzones and/or staying out of your opponent’s.

Everyone has spacing (ranged, relatively safe) tools of some sort. Check your movelist.

The farther out you are, generally the slower the moves are. That doesn’t matter, because you have all that space to work with. The closer you are, generally the faster the moves are. The concept of spacing still works the same, just at a much faster pace. (Check out these matches I had with banes and RTD. Intense spacing with little room for error!)

Remember that killzones apply to all moves. You can control the space in front of you with a simple BB. Don’t forget this!

If you’re not so good at spacing and you’re new, try playing a little longer. Pay attention to your range, where you can hit, where you can’t. Maybe fire up training mode and manually check your maximum ranges there.

Something you can also try is playing as Nightmare. Nightmare is the quintessential spacing character (he’s got a big honkin’ sword!) and at the same time he is suitable for new players as well.

Why?

Well, because Nightmare has great range on many of his attacks (even his 3K and 1K have more range than other similar kick attacks in the game) there is more margin of error for you to work with. If you don’t hit right at the tip, that’s OK, that’s why he’s got a big weapon, so you don’t have to be very precise.

(Of course, when you are precise with Nightmare, it makes you a very dangerous opponent…)

Head into the Global Colosseo, or maybe play some Ranked or a random Player Match room (or play against your friends). Try playing keepout with Nightmare. Use these moves:

agA (map a button to A+G. Input A~A+G, it works the same. No JF, but who cares? We’re just learning spacing.)

6A

3A (just 3A; 3AA is unsafe and easy to punish. 3A is unsafe, but will usually go unpunished because the opponent is hesitating waiting for the second strike. If 3A lands on CH you can follow with 3B. You can go for 3AA if you absolutely know it will hit, but that is generally whiff punish territory.)

B (just single B. You can use BB if you are sure you will get a CH on your opponent running in.)

3B (Don’t use it as a keepout tool- try to save it for when your opponent whiffs. Follow with NSS b:A or just plain NSS B if you can’t do NSS b:A.)

1B (Look at the range! Props to Engared for mentioning this.)

66A (Don’t go into GS and hold forward, just naked 66A.)

22_88A (just single 22A. You can 22AA if you are sure you will get a CH.)

K/6K/3K/1K/66K/A+B/CE (Use these up close. You shouldn’t have to use these if you’re playing keepout properly, but if the other guy gets up in your grill you’ll have to use faster attacks or defensive maneuvers.)

Now, if you look at this list, most of these moves are long-range, with not a lot of risk involved if they’re blocked. These are spacing pokes. The number of spacing pokes is not that much (about 5 or so here). Not too complicated, right?

Spacing is about visualization, timing, and reaction. That’s all- it’s really not hard to execute. You just have to play a different way.

When you’re playing as Nightmare, try not to let your opponent get too close unless you purposely allow him to. Control your space. Pay special attention to your distance and watch the imaginary boundaries in front of you. When they cross that line- hit them!

It is pretty fun stuff, try it, you might like it.

If you do not understand spacing well two consequences occur as a result:
  • You will be unable to approach your opponents.
  • You will whiff. We all know what that means.
Take some time and pay more attention to your range. You might find the game looks a lot different than how you perceived it before.

… Mind the gap, son!

Some additional thoughts.

As Pat, where I have the most options (my most effective killzones) are almost point-blank, around 1K range. 1K is best at zero range (pushback makes it so that if I hit 1K at max range I have almost no offensive options) so I use spacing as a means to an end to get in close.

For other characters, their most options might be at mid-range, where they’re not as strong at long range or close range.

I think Ivy would be a good example here- at long range she does chip damage, and at short range her evasive 3B/214B won’t be as effective, but at mid-range, you’ll have to deal with pushback, 3B/214B/66A/3[A]/CS/CE/etc. and it can be very hard to push through this barrier to get close. The only time her opponents end up close is when they get hit with 6B8 and end up at her feet, which is when she has the advantage.

Look for similar instances in other characters. See how you can categorize them. Analyze their killzones and make it part of your matchup study.

---

Pushback on block or hit is a function of spacing. Pushback changes the distance between both characters, and can be responsible in removing a character from a killzone.

Pushback can lead to a situation termed “bad spacing”, and what this refers to is a reduction of the options you have available to you.

Take Astaroth vs. Mitsu. Astaroth does 66K, Mitsu blocks. The pushback is such that even though Astaroth is -10, Mitsurugi can’t use the advantage to force mixups because his 2KB BE won’t reach and his throws won’t reach. If he runs in to force mixups, he puts himself at disadvantage and loses the advantage he had. All Mitsurugi can do with his advantage is attack with a mid or do nothing (and waste the advantage).

That’s bad spacing. You’ll have to adjust your methods accordingly to compensate.

---

As you start using this method, you’ll start to notice periods where the gameplay is slow and easy (this is usually when you are at range and feeling each other out) and periods where the gameplay is frenetic at a breakneck speed (this is usually when you are close). I like calling this “heat”. When there’s low heat, your opponent has time to think and time to position around the ring. When there’s high heat, there’s pressure- your opponent is more likely to make mistakes because there’s a higher chance of him being hit.

If you recall me talking about Keev and his “aggressive spacing”, he uses a “high-heat” style. That is to say that he spaces close and tight to put pressure on his opponents. The pressure causes whiffs which he can then punish. It’s not quite turtling, but it is turtling. Think of it as an upgrade- turtle level 1, you’re holding guard. Turtle level 2, you’re moving, using your weapon as a shield. Turtle level 3… You can’t really tell that you’re turtling anymore. (But you are.)

You should think of it as a switch (a killswitch!) that you flip on and off. When you don’t have the advantage, you try to get to low-heat positions, back off, do something defensive, try to think, or take dramatic action to try to turn the tables (abare). When you do have the advantage, turn the heat all the way up and don’t stop until the other guy’s on the floor!

---

Unsafe whiffing becomes safe whiffing depending on the spacing.

Unsafe moves become safe moves depending on the spacing.

Know this well.

---

Spacing works on the inverse. You can fight at tip range, but you can also use it to deny opponents moving inside your killzone. A good example is Ivy 3[A]. If you move at the wrong time, you can’t move sideways or backwards. You are within the killzone so when you try to escape you get hit.

---

When you are moving on the outside, and you are out of your range and your opponent’s range, try using 8WR for positioning. It’s quite easy and simple. Check your movelist- you probably have spacing tools and whiff punishers from 8WR. This is powerful stuff, learn to use it!

---

Taking initiative is a risk. Running forward generally puts you at disadvantage, so you have to use defensive maneuvers when you run forward, unless you are balls-out attacking at disadvantage (run-up attack, run-up throw, etc.) This is what some people mean when they say “the first one to attack loses”. If you run forward you’re liable to be repelled by a sharp opponent- the only way to surely gain an advantage is either waiting until he lets you in (by user error or inattention) or tricking your way in by baiting a whiff.

Sometimes run-up guard is all that I can do (playing as short-range Patroklos vs longer-range characters). It can sometimes throw players off, since they expect you to attack, so they use unsafe moves to keep you out (which you run in, guard, and then punish) or they end up guarding, so now you're both at neutral guarding but you're much closer together (which is good or bad depending on the character, in my case, the closer the better, usually).

---

This may be a bad place to say this, but I’ll say it anyway. I miss Seong Mi-Na.

Unlike Siegfried and Nightmare, who are technically midrange characters, or Kilik/Xiba, who is a close/midrange fighter, Seong Mi-Na was a true spacing long-range “sniper” character. Get in close and she couldn’t do much, but she could hit you all the way across the screen. Heavy guard damage, safety and damage bonuses at tip range, and built-in retreating steps made her the keepout specialist.

Guan Dao in hand, the Black Knight is born. None shall pass.

Why did SCIV online have to be so bad! Argh! ._.

Well, at least Project Soul learned from their mistakes and made SCV with the great netcode it has today. Were it not for that netcode this article wouldn’t exist, and all of this would be hidden in the underground mystery that is offline.

Xtra Well Done; just keep the good work cause there's a lot of us who want MORE LEARNING STUFF!

Xtra Well Done; just keep the good work cause there's a lot of us who want MORE LEARNING STUFF!
Will do.

Like what you say-

"Top tier players reveal top tier characters."

I firmly believe that basics and fundamentals matter more than who you pick at the character select screen. When you know the rules of the game and its principles, you can play however you want, with whoever you want.

If everyone knew these principles, I think the general public would be much happier with Soul Calibur- as its true brilliance can only be seen when you have the knowledge to do so.

already stated but just giving my thoughts on my past experiences:

When i space a character i use a certain move as a respresentation of said character's overall offensive game and use that move to check their range:

EX: Viola - ORB/SET 6B, 44A
Leixia - AA, 6B

In the starting periods of SCV, people would say that the correct range to space viola would be at long range. This is wrong.

When i space my opponent i want them to have the option of starting an offense if my keep away is too strong, so i will purposely let them start an offense. If i have a health advantage then my spacing game will force my opponent into their "safezone" to start their offense.

This is when i actually start playing keep away with added pressure if they were to be in their "safezone" for their offense against me.

EX: i space viola outside of 44A and near 44A range. Viola still has options, i predict which options. I bait viola, i punish viola if the player guesses wrong.

doing this will force your opponent with 2 decisions:
1. do i start an offense at the risk of being whiff punished?
2. Do i start a defense by stepping forward, sidestepping, etc to change my positioning and get at the prefered range to start my offense (the safezone)?

if you have a health advantage and good reflexes this situation will provide you with a total advantage if you play smart.

That's a great article. I almost lost a match to a Lexxia player who utilizes spacing extremely well. It took me at least two lost battles to figure out both our spacing and her intended strategy. She was one battle away from winning the match, but I threw her spacing game off balance. From there on out, I finished the match with a simple combo. It was a close call, but, man...she was really good with her spacing game. Very effective. She pretty much owned that match the majority of the time. I was just lucky I guess. XD.

Reading this article reminded me just how effective spacing can be with enough practice. I wish I had time to practice at all. I even saved the replay match so I can study it. Maybe, I'll upload it here if I can figure out how to do it. I'm actually slow with computers. But perhaps it would make as a helpful example. ^^

To add on to this gem of an article,

Do not be too predictable with yr 'spacing moves' and movement. In your mind, you should be tracking your opponent's current movement , and thinking a few steps ahead what might come next, waiting for the right moment to attack or evade or block.

Abare and whiff punishment goes hand in hand with spacing, so your hand must be on the "trigger", ready to punish and ready to counter any opponent advancing in.

Aah i remember that match of mine against Signia, an important lesson for me in regards to exactly what you're talking about here Drake. That being my first tourney and relatively new to the game, i had little knowledge about spacing. That little dance i often saw players do.

In fact i got advice from someone there about how i should go about fighting mitsu, they said i should, if possible, try to make him whiff. An important lesson about spacing that i didnt understand. At the time it seemed like an impossible task, especially against mitsu, i had no idea how i should go about making him whiff. It wasnt until later that i learned this spacing dance is what is used to try and achieve that aim.

Anyway, as always an excellent read. You should have your own show for all the knowledge you drop on us. Thanks again!

I have to be honest, all I see in that Nightmare video is one player just being all round better than another. I don't see much spacing -shinning- through.

The rest of the article is well written, and useful, but I still don't like people who take it to extremes.

You meet the occasional player who will slow the match down to a crawl, just backing up and hoping for a whiff punishment. While this tactic does not work unless pulled off well, it will slow everything down regardless.

I do use spacing a fair amount, but more for getting closer than backing up. I find keeping close with certain characters to be key to success. Others, such as Ivy, usually create space on block and don't need much extra spacing.

The general rule still stands though, as the case with Ivy means that you need to visualize the space you will be left with if the move hits or gets blocked. " I am -this- far away, this move will push my opponent a further -this far- distance. My best choice after will be -this- " It is the difference between going for a 2A+B or a 3B+K to follow a space advantage.

Manual space creation (not SS,) is a valid and useful tactic, but rush downs and strong offense is just as valid in my humblest of opinions. Both essentially try and create the pace for the match, and controlling pace at high level is quintessential.

I have to be honest, all I see in that Nightmare video is one player just being all round better than another. I don't see much spacing -shinning- through.

Manual space creation (not SS,) is a valid and useful tactic, but rush downs and strong offense is just as valid in my humblest of opinions. Both essentially try and create the pace for the match, and controlling pace at high level is quintessential.

Nah, RTD was pretty darn solid in that video, but Keev's spacing was just insane. Very impressive!

Wouldn't that "rush-down" be kinda hard to accomplish against the good spacing of a long-range fighter? My main spacing character is Nightmare and I can reasonably halt the offense of rushdown characters by using my spacing tools before they can reach me with anything dangerous. Don't get me wrong I love rush-down offense, especially with Natsu and do agree that it has its moments where it's an effective strategy, but the essence of good spacing is never letting your opponent get into a situation where they can apply solid rush-down pressure.

Thanks Drake for this thorough article. I find that it goes nicely hand-in-hand with your Whiffing and Missing the Point article. It goes over well how to use longer-range characters and applying keepout strategies, but how about the inverse with characters that have shorter range like Natsu, Pyrrha, Yoshimitsu, or Leixia for example? What would be their "keep-in" strategies?

Manual space creation (not SS,) is a valid and useful tactic, but rush downs and strong offense is just as valid in my humblest of opinions.
Ask anyone who's ever played me. I have a wild, hyper-aggressive, risky rushdown style. (Which is strange, because I initially did not believe in rushdown at all, favoring the turtle style. It seems that I developed this from studying Patroklos and trying to harness his strengths.)

Patroklos is not much for spacing, at range he has 66B and 3A and that's it. The less options you have, the more predictable you become, so Patroklos can't play ranged spacing for long.

However-

Without good knowledge of spacing, I cannot land the keepout 66B or land the run-in mixup on whiff that allows me to come forward and start my offense. Without knowing my opponent's tools, I cannot use my own.

If you have strong rushdown and a good offense but poor spacing skills, you will not get to the point where you can even show your strength.

It's important that everyone know spacing- in fact, it's even more essential for short-ranged offensive characters who have to space tighter and closer so that they can start their offense safely.

how about the inverse with characters that have shorter range like Natsu, Pyrrha, Yoshimitsu, or Leixia for example? What would be their "keep-in" strategies?
Generally, short-ranged characters can put you in bad okizeme situations. These generally come from throws.

Patroklos has 66B combo, and A+G; Natsu has her A+G BE and both B+G throws; Pyrrha has 66A+G, B+G, and 3A+B; Yoshimitsu has A+G; Leixia doesn't have an easily accessible throw like this, but her 66BB is one of the better backstep-catches in the game, and she can pressure your gauge if you hesitate.

There are more situations than this, it's just off the top of my head.

Anyway- a lot of these situations are sideturned (or backturned) untechable knockdowns, which means you're on the ground and heavily disadvantaged.

And that's what you want as rushdown- I have the advantage, you don't, I get to press buttons.

As I said before, spacing tools can be used on the inverse. Let's take Pyrrha for example.

Pyrrha has 236AA (or 3A or what have you) and 6B+K, good range, suitable for spacing. But they're also suitable for "keep-in", for movement denial.

When you're all up in someone's grill and you're pressing buttons the other guy wants to gtfo so he can breathe, which generally means he's going to:

- block
- step
- backstep

If they block, you use guard crush moves. Pyrrha has 4B, Natsu has PO B, Patroklos has 1B, etc., etc.

If they step you use your ranged stepkill spacing moves (Pyrrha's 236AA or 3A or 4A).

If they backstep you use your ranged linear spacing moves (Pyrrha's 6B+K). In this case, when Pyrrha scores a run-counter with 6B+K, she can run forward while the opponent is flying through the air and continue her pressure.

Because you have short range you're usually easily backstepped. But, if you look carefully at short-ranged characters, they have some ranged tool that counters this.

The most infamous is Patroklos' 66B. I'm in there, I'm working my 1K, my 1B, A+G, generally being a giant pain. You try to backdash at the wrong time, I hit you with 66B which puts you in a really bad okizeme situation.
I keep you in, there's no escape.

With short-ranged characters, all of their options are at short range. That means that if I have advantage and I'm at range, I need to use that advantage to get closer. If I have advantage and I'm at point blank, I need to press buttons or stop my opponent from moving (and escaping my killzone).

You don't have to use an attack to stop your opponent's movement (it's just efficient to do so)- if your opponent is stepping or backstepping, he's not attacking- so you can just step in to meet him.

Let me know if that was confusing, I'll try to clear things up. This sort of thing is easier to show than it is to write about.

Here, watch this sequence.

I hit 1K. The pushback makes it so I can't land 1K anymore. My opponent is focused on defending, so I use the gap to step forward. (Notice the backstep- because I stepped forward the close space has been maintained.)

I 1K. Watch the pushback, and how I keep compensating by stepping forward.

After repeating 1K four times, I run up and A+G, putting the opponent right at my feet.

This works because:

- 1K is unseeable. You can't react to it, you have to guess.
- 1K is +2 on hit. The threat of me doing a 2A or similar attack shifts the natural response to blocking or evading. Because I have advantage, I can use the advantage to move forward.

---

You'll notice after I land A+G, I go for 2B+K. It's blocked, and then I get A+G BE thrown. Notice how bad the okizeme situation is- I'm backturned, meaning I have no access to good While Rising moves. I can't tech to create space. I'm just dead in the water.

You keep your opponent on the inside by either forcing him into okizeme situations like this, or manually "keeping them on the inside" by running forward and closing the space yourself.

The safest time to do this is when you have advantage- when you block an attack, when you land a successful hit, or when the opponent whiffs.

Live streams

5 Viewers
duskybook342150
duskybook342150
💙🙃💋 adult content [18+] and 420 friendly, 🎙️mic optional
3 Viewers
Lets_Rage_Lucid
Lets_Rage_Lucid
LET'S RAGE - "Cook dis mf food" {Co-op w/Carol&Kayla]

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)