Start of the battle

whatwhatwhat

[08] Mercenary
With online play, there is lag. In my opinion you really can't play "reactively" very much, it is about prediction, based on what they have done before, or what you think they will do.

I have problems in two areas........

The very start of the battle, I usually get raped. While often times this is character specific, more often than not I am starting the fight at a disadvantage.

My main is Taki for right now, and personally I think it is making winning even harder to win. I'd like to pick up another character, but I never can make up my mind.

The biggest problem that is character specific is against Kilik and Cervantes. The most common way for a Cervantes player to start the battle is using one of the teleport moves. I expect this most of the time. I can evade it, (its not really evading if you are doing the evasion move at the same time in my opinion) but it still puts me at a disadvantage. With the torpedo thing, if I block it, I always get raped by Cervantes. Even the fastest attack Taki has, almost never hits him. Relying on GI is not good enough in online play, and the moves that can CH the torpedo rush are probably even more strict on the timing. The teleport move has a similar reality.

There is another problem against Kilik fighters. I am repeatedly getting attacked first at the beginning of the round, which actually has the same effect for the entire battle. I have such a hard time getting in hit distance of him, he has such a long reach that is so fast, and the tracking on his vertical moves is INSANE. There are certainly characters I'm weaker against then Kilik, but I am always starting off with a huge disadvantage and honestly he is one of the more frustrating characters for me to fight against. (besides Mits)

Any advice?

im new to soul calibur myself so dont take my advice too greatly...

unfortunately i dont face those chars but a move that i like to use in the beginning of the around is 8wr-B. i keep circling my opponent until he whiffs a move (or block on instinct) and hit him with the 8wr-B.

another move i use at start is 1A (hits low and has range) totally unsafe on block tho but the reach is good lol

I think you can hit Cervy with A strings or 1BA into PO mixup right after you block his torpedo move. For most other characters online, double bombs now and then, at the start of the match are unnaturally effective and safe on block. If they block it you can try doing her WS K or a GI.

I don't think Taki is a good character to use online against good players. Losing ability to punish some things with AB PO and not being able to hit confirm 3KK (WR) makes Taki lose a lot of damage and mind games.

Of course, online people will more likely get hit by double bombs, PO A+B, and 6A+B due to reaction lag which might be nice I suppose.

With online play, there is lag. In my opinion you really can't play "reactively" very much, it is about prediction, based on what they have done before, or what you think they will do.

I have problems in two areas........

The very start of the battle, I usually get raped. While often times this is character specific, more often than not I am starting the fight at a disadvantage.

My main is Taki for right now, and personally I think it is making winning even harder to win. I'd like to pick up another character, but I never can make up my mind.

The biggest problem that is character specific is against Kilik and Cervantes. The most common way for a Cervantes player to start the battle is using one of the teleport moves. I expect this most of the time. I can evade it, (its not really evading if you are doing the evasion move at the same time in my opinion) but it still puts me at a disadvantage. With the torpedo thing, if I block it, I always get raped by Cervantes. Even the fastest attack Taki has, almost never hits him. Relying on GI is not good enough in online play, and the moves that can CH the torpedo rush are probably even more strict on the timing. The teleport move has a similar reality.

There is another problem against Kilik fighters. I am repeatedly getting attacked first at the beginning of the round, which actually has the same effect for the entire battle. I have such a hard time getting in hit distance of him, he has such a long reach that is so fast, and the tracking on his vertical moves is INSANE. There are certainly characters I'm weaker against then Kilik, but I am always starting off with a huge disadvantage and honestly he is one of the more frustrating characters for me to fight against. (besides Mits)

Any advice?

Against Cervantes players, you could try 66B:A or if you're feeling risky, 66K. You could also do B+K-> WR, WR BBB_BKB.

Against Kilik, step right in the beginning (2 if player 1) and then charge him. If they notoriously do lots of highs, I tend to 66K under them for CH. If they do lows, consider A+K -> STK, STK B.

Since its online after blocking Cervy's Torpedo move try to go for the Ninja Bombs after block.

Valter said:
Taki is a ninja, ninja's are fast. Cervantes is an old pirate, old-pirates are slow. Wtf is up with this situation?

I get PO'ed because Astaroth and Siegfried spam Y at the beginning of every match to get a range advantage. You'd figure that 2 short swords are faster than a massive axe or a 2-handed sword. What's the deal Bandai? No brains?

1. Taki is faster than Cervantes.

2. What is Y? Do you mean B?

3. 2 short swords are faster than a massive axe and a 2-handed sword, but they're shorter ranged.

I dont really play taki, but it should matter for this.

against cervantes: start the fight by taking one step back and the second you see him do anything 8 way run straight up or down. Everything cervantes does at range will whiff on you with the exception of maybe an angled torpedo. If a cerv starts a fight with torpedo he's usually scrubby enough to not angle it. If they close distance by doing one of these moves you can fight em however you want. If they don't, keep with the 8WR and they'll get annoyed and get close to you eventually. If they start running at you stop 8WR immediately and block or watch for grabs.

against kilik: similar idea, one step back and 8WR and if he starts running towards you block immediately. Kiliks online love that 66AA and it can be very hard to reaction block out of 8WR with even minor lag. here he wont close on you though so the moment he whiffs something run in on him with 66K or some other running attack people have suggested before.

In SC2 I would've said close with A+K > STK KA but I dont think she has that anymore...

In SC2 I would've said close with A+K > STK KA but I dont think she has that anymore...

You made me sad just now.

What I'd do for:
STK KA
PO 8_9KA
PO B+G
PO A+G
PO 2K
80-100 damage air throws
EXC

I know I can't have both air throws and EXC... but meh. PO 236 is pretty cool, and 1BA214 is awesome too, but I liked all the PO options.

You made me sad just now.

What I'd do for:
STK KA
PO 8_9KA
PO B+G
PO A+G
PO 2K
80-100 damage air throws
EXC

I know I can't have both air throws and EXC... but meh. PO 236 is pretty cool, and 1BA214 is awesome too, but I liked all the PO options.

Could you perhaps show me in a video what PO 236 and 1BA214 look like?

well, i play online real risky, but if you want to try what i do, go ahead.

usually, if cervantes does the corkscrew (sorry, don't remember buttons for it right now), you have a few options

1. Block and, if it comes after, block his next 3 B slashes ( if you get hit by a slash after th corscrew, expect to get hit 3 more times. but, this is for Scrubbin' Cervys)
2. GI, of course
3. sometimes risky online! 2A+K or 8A+K before he is fully charged.
4. Even Riskier! 44K as soon as gets close enough (its best to distance check this in practice mode
5. would work in theory: PO 236 B if you good at timing.

For the drop teleport, its probably best to just block , roll, or jump out the way. not much to do besides that, and i would do the latter with caution.

I really can't say what to do against kilik besides get used to using K2 more often and also 4A+B. also, try and avoid using 22KA. I find that kilik hits you alot easier than other characters when you do this. also, USE your frame data. just watch out for he aaa, as its faster than most of taki's frames (actually, i think all of them, atleast it feels that way to be) Rolling is also good.

we really need to stop talking about online tactics cause they are worthless when playing offline.

Start an online tactics thread, but keep online tactics out of any thread distinctly referencing offline play please.

My question to you is.....

...are you even reading right? (as to who my post was directed to?)

I'm hoping you mean Valter first, but really doesn't matter too much. My point stands with the excessive talk about online play. But when someone like Valter talks about "up Y" as a move, I just cringe and then shurg my shoulders.

I'm confused here.

You (Halister) said this to someone:

Start an online tactics thread, but keep online tactics out of any thread distinctly referencing online play please.

I'm sure you meant to say "but keep offline tactics........"

But then you continue to say that you don't think talking about online play is worthwhile.

Am I reading into this wrong, or what?

Back