Story Mode Love it or Hate it?

It was enjoyable but some parts pissed me off.

First example, is Patroklos ungratefulness. Ivy helps him, he acts like a bitch. Siegfried and Z.W.E.I helps him, he has to be a rebellious teenager. He has so many cheesy lines it's unbelievable.

In addition, where the fuck is Hilde? What happened to Tira? Why didn't we get to play as Siegfried? Why is the story so cheesy?

The ending, it makes me sick. Pat after killing Pyrrha: "OMG! What have I done?!I want to repent and start over again! WAAAAAA!" So cheesy, I nearly vomited.

It started so promising...

Tago said Viola was going to have an important role in the story............. she only had 2 lines.
Tago:
lied.gif

As an isolated little story, I liked it. The characters were believable, and so were their reactions. They were emotionally involved, and the story was driven by the characters - which is the sign of a good story.

HOWEVER,

They completely FAILED to do a good job at making me feel like time had passed, that the characters truly had opportunity to develop, and to provide some epic scope.

Someone here wrote that it felt like cliffnotes, and I agree.

They have a roster of 24 INTERESTING characters. Each and everyone one of them should contribute to the ultimate outcome of the story in some way.
Here's my breakdown:

Patroklos - Main protagonist. Yes.
Pyhrra - Corrupted innocence who redeems herself. Yes.
Tira - Main antagonist. Yes.
Nightmare - Secondary antagonist. Yes.
Voldo - Guardian/pet of Nightmare. Sure, I'll take it.
Ivy - Essential knowledge. Yes.
Siegfriend - Guidance. Yes.
ZWEI - Guidance. Yes.

Astaroth - Random attack? No. This does not count.
Xiba, Natsu, Leixia, and Maxi - They are included because they possess items. They contribute to the plot in no other way. THIS DOES NOT COUNT. No.
Viola - Makes a couple of enigmatic comments. No. Pathetic.

Character's that did not make an appearance and that were not even mentioned:
Hilde
Cervantes
Aeon
Raphael
Algol
Dampierre
Mitsurugi
Ezio
Yoshimitsu

This is completely unforgivable. Its as if they don't exist, so wtf is the point of them being in the game? I was ESPECIALLY disappointed that Hilde was not included at all given that a.) She is a part of Scharzwind and b.) According to her bio, there is an ENTIRE ARMY OF MALFESTED going to attack her country.

It is not that hard to include a few different plot lines, especially when you have multiple people working on it. They could have done that. They should have done that, and they didn't and that is why the story is a failure in my opinion.

Hated it, I thought that it was completely awful. For a story that was supposedly "relevant" it seemed just as weak and susceptible to retcons as the individual character endings we used to get. Soul Edge and Soul Calibur have been destroyed? Gee, that's never happened before, I wonder if that will have actual consequences for future games in the series or if they'll just come up with some flimsy excuse for the two swords to return again. Bleh

I like the layout style going back to Tales of Souls, and the comic strip thing wasn't a bad idea actually. It gives it that old style feeling. The atmosphere felt alot like an anime with the cutscenes which is the best part of it overall...but the writing was terrible. Rediculously cheesy and easily predictable yet still cliche ending. I just dont like that it was all focusing on one character fundamentally. The replay value was cut in half for me. Like MK9's, story after beating it once, I have no reason to play it again, it wasn't even very engaging beyond Tira's part... I mean, I don't like Patroklos or Pyrhha.

I just don't like either of them because they are just so 1Dimentional and generic. (Xiba is 0.5Dimentional, constantly worrying about food with no goal beyond it.)

Pat for the first off is an unrealistic self-rightious single-minded bastard.. but started out as an ignorant prick throughout the early debut.

were as Pyrrha is an emotional diaster begging for empathy rather then showing us WHY she deserves it in any way. (at least she acknowledged it though near the end but its too late.) when she trancended into Omega, she started to get some personality beyond whining but it was short lived. It would have been more dynamic if she stayed evil and turned into a nightmare or a half nightmare

I hate ZWEI and always will, he just had no purpose but to lecture pat while doing nothing about it. Seriously Pyrha would have at least developed an actual personality if Talim was there and Zas could have done so much if he was presented the same way as he was in 3.. but what Talim did for Algol could have saved Pyrrha a long time ago. All she did was whine and pity herself for no reason presented other then the fact that Harley-I mean Tira was seducing her through words. The only good character in the story was Tira, everyone else was either acting cliche or generic.

They failed to give every character the spotlight which MK did in MK9. You play as everyone at least twice, and they had their own problems to deal with still relevant to the plot. In SC5 you are 70% Pat/20% Pyrrha and 10% ZWEI. The storymode would have been a little better if it had Team battle back, the way it was done in SC4, the recruitment thing.

I just dont like a story centered one character outside an RPG. Its not the same due to no other aspects of telling it. In an RPG there's exploration and loads of dialogue to help you understand the character's point of view. SC5 using this method without the extra elements put it in high standards on its telling of it.

Leixia is very shallow btw and Natsu is just too modern IMO, the way she speaks.
I just didnt like the story barley explaining anything, what was the point of even meeting Maxi's group anyway? Elysium felt too robotic to me and Algol not doing anything in the story also seems like a waste. The ending was pretty corny.

They should go back to their old style with multiple characters traveling but done in this way so they can come together. 1 giant story loses a lot of replay value.

Hate it..the characters is too focused on alexandra's,so i guess i understand why idle said that story didnt affect for the roster. And this is the evidence, every other characters is just there in the story mode...for the sake of being there , they were only meant to be played. Where is the point of viola as an important character? NO!It is too terrible, when i think of the story mode i meant to think that the story wont be too focused on one/two characters alone..look i know this is a fighting game, story is secondary, but take a look at arc system works, they can make a story that makes almost everyone who is playable involved inside the story.
Didn't they say she was going to have a huge role in the story? I swear they did but in the end she did absolutly nothing. She took Hilde's screen time. The story should have been about her wanting to know who she is and (dis)confirming her Amy claim...but no.

It was an interesting concept but no dice for me. The writing was beyond cheessy, seriously... Also it was way too predicable.

I know that Patroklos and Pyrrha are important because they are the children of Sophitia Alexandra but still, the whole story was dumb and felt rushed. And of course, the lack of other characters. I wanted to find out if Viola was actually Amy (Which I now believe is true) and if Raphael ever found out the truth. I wanted to know what happened to Zwei and Tira... What was Siegfried and Hilde up to during the 17 year gap. How bad was the attack on Wolfkrone. How was Leixia's travel around the world going (even though Xiba annoyed me a lot). Why is Cervantes back to being a normal looking human? Did Mitsurugi ever challenge Algol again? Does Voldo finally understand that his Master is dead? What happened to the old Astaroth and how was this new Astaroth created? See what I mean? Way too many questions that weren't answered.

I also hated how in the middle of the story, they actually tryed to pawn off Setsuka's sword style for Patroklos' "real" weapon. It was dumb. His sword and shield style made since and I feel that that was mean't to be his true and only style. They only stuck in Setsuka's style so they could justify it returning. I much rather would have seen a replacement for Setsuka wielding the weapon.

I don't know. I give them points for trying but at the end of the day, they could've done better. They should've styled story mode like Mortal Kombat 9 did. Yes, it was long but it covered all the characters in each chapter and it worked. So seriously, I hope in SC6, they clear up all this confusion with a clear concise, well thought out, and less cheesy story.

SCIII will always have the superb story. Like Leshain said, it probided one for all the main casts and one for custom characters.

The motion cutscenes were well done, I'd have to agree. But the story was lacking. It gave no closure to anything and sort of left me with more questions then it answers. Though it answers very little to begin with.

Perhaps they should have asked for ideas from the 8WR community, compelled them with their own, and made a giant kick ass story instead of the one we have now. I literally didnt bother too much with it.

The story could have been better,it didnt really show off that many characters,I would have been ok with the story if the arcade mode had character endings......

Bad things:

It was really cheesy.
Voldo died *tear*

Good things:

It was really cheesy.
I liked the Elysium cutscenes, especially when you hear that her voice is starting to sound kind of wierd.

I thought the story was a step in the right direction, however is in no way even close to comparing to the extravagant story of 3 (with the chronicles of the sword and the individual character's story.) I however believe that they did a very good job if you were intrigued by pat or pyrrha , I do however like that they had one story for all of the characters instead of a lot of different endings based on the which ever character appeals to you the most... i think they should take more in depth process and create a ten to fifteen "chapter" story for each characters explaining plot sequences centered around that character and each story one is a piece to that puzzle of what happened to the sword for that game. And if you still don't want universal ending, then i say you should be given the choice to be good or evil for example if your favorite was one that is influenced by soul edge or is in conquest for soul edge then you would choose evil side (the path of soul edge) or if you character was a good character or someone in search of soul caliber then you would choose the good path ( the path of soul caliber) and you can as well as have a nuetral side if that makes it any more to your taste. I am still beyond thrilled that this game actually thrilled that they had some kind of a story because i find it is one of the more compelling part of the game (now i havent been playing since the beginning) but my first game i bought from the franchise was 2 and found the weapon master mode interesting and when three came (my favorite game out of all them to date) i was complete intoxicated with chronicles of the sword... however when four came out i was severely disappointed there was no real story.... now five however had a decent story but left so many loose ends and didnt even incorporate all of the characters. so i say its a step up from 4 in every way but many steps down from three story wise

Both. Love what they are trying to do, but it was too short and completely omitted 1/2 of the roster. So you now have no idea of their stories in this game.

Bad things:

It was really cheesy.
Voldo died *tear*

Good things:

It was really cheesy.
I liked the Elysium cutscenes, especially when you hear that her voice is starting to sound kind of wierd.
Oh my god, I didn't even realise that he died! They killed him in the forest chapter?

SCV story mode is incredibly frustrating. Because it’s as if they started to create an actual, presentable story mode (however cheesy), then just kind of gave up at only 30% finished. The single canonical thread, the rendered cutscenes, the traveling around on a map, the relationships between characters, etc. are all what many people were asking for.

On the other hand, the majority of the plot was conveyed through flat illustrations (talk about a bait-and-switch!), the narrative loses coherence and becomes incredibly trippy from around 75% of the way through to the end, tons of characters with interesting backstories that were obviously considered are simply ignored, some of the characters present (Viola, ZWEI) are completely enigmatic (and not in a cool, deliberate way), etc.

Without a museum mode, most people now will never have any clue about the relationship (platonic or otherwise) between Sieg and Hilde. Hilde’s mission and father issues are completely absent. Mitsu’s duel with Algol? Might as well not exist. What’s Maxi doing babysitting the asian teen squad? We’ll never know. Is Leixia really Kilik’s son? And hey, weren’t we promised “Taki isn’t dead?” On and on the questions pile up... PS failed to understand that doing a single story doesn’t mean ignoring the stories of half your roster.

Now, the only thing I can say about it is at least it was better than IV’s. Except that IV gave me some insight into every character on the roster.

I agree, the game seems like it was rushed. Which is just too bad. I would have gladly waited another few months if it would mean more unique non-mimic characters and a fully fleshed-out story and museum mode.

Back