Strategy/Playstyle Discussion + general Q&A

a combo means guaranteed damage after the first hit, meaning they cannot guard or anything, they must take the followup hits

and yes amy is every bit as fast as you think she is, she's rediculous

here's your basic nightmare:
agA (press a then G+A at same time for shortcut) - anti step, good range
1K - low attack, fast, on counterhit you are advantage
throw - throws are awesome
11K - safe mid, tech crouches high moves, tracks one side, good range for a kick

if they duck a lot or attack at really stupid times you should use these
WR - fast mid from crouch, powerful on counterhit
33B - long range mid with strong damage

if they suck at blocking 1A, spam it. if they suck at breaking throws, spam throws.

check out my guide for more detailed stuff

Shan:

knowing NM's pros and cons is the first step to becoming decent with him.

Pros:
Good Damage
Alot of Launchers
Good Oki game (relaunch situations)
Lots of knockdown moves (left, right, back, forth)
Very good ring out game (due to knockdown and launch moves)
Very good Wall game (memorize all the wall combos, see tiamat's guide)
Good movement, he has very fast side steps, he also runs pretty fast and grim strides to cover distance, back step is decent and B+K can be used to compensate.
He has one of the best "while standing" move (WS ) in the game, it leads to devasting combos/tech traps if it's a counter hit.

Cons:
very unsafe
alot of high moves (this can be a pro depending on situations, he can connect alot of stuff with his high moves when the opponent is launched)
he's quite big and some smaller characters will give him a hard time (amy)
NSS and Grim Strides mixups can be easily shutdown with 2As or fast pokes

Hello people. I'm new to the boards and kinda new to SC4 and NM aswell. I picked NM because I'm interested in challenge and swinging around the badass 2h sword.

I think I know each move on his movelist and can execute them but problems appear when I start to do mixups with the stances. Getting creative is the problem. I often find myself doing the same stuff too often so my opponent knows what to expect.I have a friend who plays Amy(curse her), Kilik and Taki and it seems keeping pressure on them is difficult. I'm the one being under constant pressure while playing against my friend and thus my soulgauge suffers horribly. So my questions are:

- Could someone post a couple of not so ordinary combos or combos that cannot be so easily counterhit after the 1st hit is guarded ?

- Any tips against fast short range characters like Amy and taki? How about Kilik and his super long stick ?

- Anything a new NM player HAS to know in order to start playing decently against decent opponents ?

- Is Amy as fast as she seems ?

Thanks for info :)

Put some videos up of your play is the best advice i can give you. I put some videos up of myself and got eaten alive by the people here, but my game has improved more in the last month than it has ever had.

I just wondering what the difference between Step guard and the usual step like tap 8 or 2 ?

with normal step you can get tracked by slower horizontals, with step guard you will step the verticals and still be able to guard the slower horizontals that track step.

So it's pretty much guarding after step, or is it just canceling your step into guard?

I've been revisiting moves like
aB
and 2A

aB/4K well mainly was influenced from Kura videos exactly how i use it? Watch what Kura does.

2A... it's really not that bad once you get used to using 1K and you need that TAD bit more range... it's actually alright.. simply because it's a low that can't really be blocked on reaction.. and does decent damage....

-LAU

I like FC 2A better than 2A. I don't find myself in the range between 1K and FC 2A very often. I've always been kinda reserved about aB, high and linear, but it does great damage to the soul gauge and NSS K is NC. A pretty good post GI option, though iagA is probably still more rewarding in that situation.

As for FC 2A.. that's a completely different move for different use...

anyways like i said before i was giving the moves above a second try... I really don't expect people to start using it just because I said I am. It's kinda like I do a lot of strategies that I don't expect people to follow or agree on.

-LAU

so I was using 4KK lately and apparently it tracks step to nightmare's right side (like 33B) at the correct range. no run counter though, so it's just a bonus property I guess. it beats 2As after 11K/WS K hit so if you're pretty sure they'll try some BS you can do it for higher damage than you'd get from other stuff.

also me and my friend both thought we saw 4K TC a high move. it may just have been a distance thing but it did look like a TC happened to us. I did some testing and couldn't find it though. maybe its some really small window of 1 or 2 frames at some random point in the move, dunno

GS mixup is just waiting until it ends then doing WR B mixup with grab. substitute WR B with WR K if you need safety.

NSS mixup is NSS A+B/NSS A for mids and NSS B for low. or do 236 to cancel from NSS to GS, then do the mixup mentioned above

Just thought I'd let everyone know, 44K finally has an application. Use it against Talim whenever she transitions into one of her 4B+K somersaults back and you get the manliest kick in the game.

Just thought I'd let everyone know, 44K finally has an application. Use it against Talim whenever she transitions into one of her 4B+K somersaults back and you get the manliest kick in the game.

Ill try that this weekend. Lol. 3B completely shuts down that move however, but i want to be manly lol.

Back