The flawed concept of "Love".

^Is every thread for you a new place to spread your oh-so-insightful nihilistic philosophies?

Yeah, so what if love is about mutual gain, so what if it isn't selfless, you make it sound like that's a bad thing. There is nothing inherently 'wrong' with being selfish.

Like I told you before, go jump off a building if life really is that grim to you, otherwise GTFO and STFU with your BS. You have your own thread that deals with that issue, why don't you keep it there mate? No one wants to hear your bullshit.

Fuck it. You are the 2nd person to reach my ignore list.
The only thing I get from Moneymuffins is we're prone to be negative. He's right, but that doesn't mean we should abandon any hope of ever being happy and let science guide us. If he were to say this to some average girl(I'm guessing he won't), she'd call him a snobbish jerk.

I mean, imprinting is a proven fact that humans are stupid. If someone says you're stupid for not knowing 2+2=4, then you ought to relieve that problem by learning from someone else. Science ain't gonna help unless you learn from someone else. Why else teachers, parents, and adults of that nature are there to correct our flaws lest we become even more foolish? I bet you a million bucks he had to learn something from someone lest he'd be stupid.

Stupidity is what makes an athlete, a scholar, and practically anything else smarter. You mess up, but you learn what mistakes you can improve. If he lists all the problems with no sound solution and he isn't willing to educate an average schmoe to understand, he ain't getting no one to listen altogether. Like bashing a stupid person with knowledge is gonna help. You have to take on the "teacher" role and teach it from the ground up until they get it.

Being stupid is like a having a cold. It's temporary for whatever moment, but can only be relieved once you take care of it. No one in this world can cure stupidity like a cold. If we could, then Moneymuffins ought to rise from his seat and go make his ideals happen. In my eyes, he's an intelligent fool who lacks common sense.

He ain't gonna be no Albert Einstein. Because even he shared this:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Also other quotes:

"Success in almost any field depends more on energy and drive than it does on intelligence. This explains why we have so many stupid leaders."
-Sloan Wilson
"Sure the people are stupid: the human race is stupid. Sure Congress is an inefficient instrument of government. But the people are not stupid enough to abandon representative government for any other kind, including government by the guy who knows."
-Bernard Devoto

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
-Bertrand Russell

I could go on and on, but what we'll always get from people like Moneymuffins, is more logical science crap and no common sense. I'm sure you could find some celebrities that became millionaires for working hard to make their mark on the world. The best part is some of them inspired us because a few had no college degree. It's either put up or shut up.

The nerve of some intelligent fools who haven't experienced love and rely on logic stuff and people's failures. Like that is gonna help you score even a chick in bed. It's no rocket science that love makes us do stupid things, yet we're happy to raise a child with a wife to keep the human race going.

Last edited:
I never wholeheartedly disagreed with him per se, it was the manner in which he said it. No one living on planet earth believes humanity, and life itself, is without problems.

But like you said, he doesn't offer any solutions, just stating the issues. And here's why I can relate to him:

I used to think like him. I used to be a complete pessimist and wondered why we even exist at all. He then goes on to claim that we try to justify our existence with our pleasures. This is where I disagree. I'm sort of a hedonist in a way. If things in life give you pleasure, joy, satisfaction, whether it be an accomplishment out of struggle, a cigarette, an orgasm, a cupcake, or marijuana, it doesn't matter. The sheer fact that things give us pleasure make life worth living and makes the whole process WORTH repeating.

In other words, been there, done that. I've been at the mountain top ready to jump off, I've been in the bar drinking 13 beers and crying to myself.

What I realized is that even though life is pretty much superficial and pointless to a large degree, there is still SOME good in it, or at least there are parts in it that outweigh what is bad.

He's probably had some major existential epiphany where he must come to grips with the meaning of his own life, but can't find it, so he's using his negative emotions to cloud his judgement over what is a completely neutral thing: life.

Life is what we make of it. It's up to US to make it good and worth doing. It's our responsibility.

You're wrong about the "game of life". Life is not a stupid game, it's a concept that some of us have yet to understand, especially at a younger age, not to mention teens in relationships. Selfless love is existent. You just assume there isn't based on a particular group of human interaction that happens to know nothing about it, because knowing you're an absolute pessimist, that's the only place you look at. I'm a true believer in selfless love, what I suggested in this thread was merely how I felt other people saw love. You on the other hand jump the gun and assume it's not real because of how you see "fake selfless love".

I can tell you're a pessimist. Instead of assuming life is so bad because people know naught about the real concept of it, you should ask yourself if another group of people understand it. You look at more of the bad parts of life than the good parts.

You're wrong about the "game of life". Life is not a stupid game, it's a concept that some of us have yet to understand, especially at a younger age, not to mention teens in relationships. Selfless love is existent. You just assume there isn't based on a particular group of human interaction that happens to know nothing about it, because knowing you're an absolute pessimist, that's the only place you look at. I'm a true believer in selfless love, what I suggested in this thread was merely how I felt other people saw love. You on the other hand jump the gun and assume it's not real because of how you see "fake selfless love".

I can tell you're a pessimist. Instead of assuming life is so bad because people know naught about the real concept of it, you should ask yourself if another group of people understand it. You look at more of the bad parts of life than the good parts.
MAY SCIENCE HAVE MERCY ON YOUR BRAIN.

Damn Vints when did you get depressing as hell?

Not to say you are wrong, but Jesus Christ.
I THINK PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN WATCHING ME OVER THE YEARS ON THE FORUMS ARE JUST CONFUSED. THEN THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE SEEING ME POST FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, SUCH AS CAPTAIN HOOK, AND THEY CAN BE EXTREMELY QUICK TO MAKE JUDGMENTS ABOUT WHAT KIND OF PERSON I MUST BE LIKE. THE FUCKING LIAR EVEN IGNORED ME WITHOUT EVEN ADDRESSING MY COUNTER-ARGUMENTS TO HIS POINTS. HE CHOOSES TO LIVE IN HIS BUBBLE AND THEN JUMPS TO CONCLUSIONS ABOUT WHO I AM AS IF HE'S SOME ALL-KNOWING GOD JUST BECAUSE HE'S OLDER THAN ME AND IS A FATHER. THAT IS PREPOSTEROUSLY IGNORANT AND ARROGANT AND OFFENSIVE AND I HOPE SOMEBODY TELLS HIM HE SUFFERS FROM THE DUNNING-KRUGER EFFECT.

ANY DAMN WAY, I HAVE ALWAYS VALUED THE TRUTH ABOVE ANYTHING ELSE, AND I WILL TELL IT AS BEST I CAN WHEN I SEE FIT. I FEEL COMPELLED TO SAY IT HAS NO BEARING ON MY OWN SELF-ESTEEM AND HOW I FEEL ABOUT MYSELF. BUT FOR SOME REASON, EVERYONE THINKS THAT JUST BECAUSE MY EXTERNAL VIEW ON REALITY IS NEGATIVE THAT AUTOMATICALLY MEANS I FEEL NEGATIVE INTERNALLY OR ABOUT MYSELF TOO, WHICH IS OBVIOUSLY INCORRECT, BUT WHATEVER, STUPID GONNA STUPID.

Last edited:

The one thing I always liked about you was your consistency and straightforwardness, so I wasn't trying to attack you. But yeah it's a bit surprising to see you switch from hilarity to this mindset in, what appeared to me at least, a very short time. That said, you're making some good points that I don't agree with 100 percent but can't fully refute. I'll say it has led me to do my own reading.

“So far, the existence for a truly unselfish act isn't looking good.”
http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/evolution/unselfish-act2.htm

“the purpose of altruism simply is to preserve the genetic line”
http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/what-scientific-basis-for-altruism

“And if that is what models and theories show, supported by empirical observation, then perhaps true altruism is really just a dream.”
http://www.scienceinschool.org/2012/issue25/altruism

“Researchers looked at 32 studies of primates and human foragers, and the evidence points to the fact that when sharing food, we want something out of it.”
http://www.geekosystem.com/human-primate-altruism/

THERE IS ONLY SELFISH LOVE. THERE IS ONLY THE SELFISH GENE. THE BATTLE OF THE SEXES EXISTS FOR A REASON. YOUR GIRLFRIEND OR SPOUSE OR SIGNIFICANT OTHER USES YOU FOR PERSONAL GAIN, THE SAME WAY YOU USE THEM: TO FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE, TO BE IN CONTROL, TO FURTHER THE AGENDA OF THE REPLICATING DNA! THE DNA COMPETES WITH ITSELF FOR UNEXPLAINABLE REASONS, SIMPLY TO REPRODUCE BETTER VERSIONS OF ITSELF.

THINK IN TERMS OF WHAT IS FUNDAMENTALLY CAUSING US TO PLAY THE GAME OF LIFE. DON'T LOOK AT THE SURFACE OF EVERYDAY INTERACTIONS. DON’T MISTAKE ACTS OF LOYALTY AND COMMITMENT AS SIGNS OF SELFLESS LOVE. THE SURFACE DOES NOT ADDRESS THE BIGGER PICTURE. THE SURFACE DOES NOT ADDRESS WHAT WE ARE AT THE CORE. THE CORE REVEALS THAT LIFE IS A STUPID AND RUTHLESS GAME. WE ARE SLAVES TO EVOLUTION UNLESS WE REFUSE TO PLAY. SCIENCE IS THE ONLY WAY TO BEGIN TO ADMIT WHAT IS REALLY HAPPENING. YOUR PSYCHOLOGY AND RATIONALIZATIONS ARE IRRELEVANT TO THE TRUTH OF LIFE AND WHAT IT DOES AND HOW IT WORKS!

Just because something is done for yourself doesn't make it selfish, just because something is deemed selfish doesn't make it wrong. There is no such thing as right and wrong, only perspective. A week ago Davina McCall ran, biked and swum 500 miles from Edinburgh to London. The selfish reasons? Fame? Personal challenge? unselfish reason? 760k raised for women and children in Africa.

So you have to say.
2gul4eb.jpg

The thing it keeps coming back to is BALANCE. Fucking love that word. BALANCE.

Two people love each other for selfish reasons? Maybe some do, or more rather its a mutual benefit of each others company. Oh there it is again. BALANCE.

Here, have an extract from legendary Solid Snake.

Code:
Snake: I'm going to save Meryl no matter what it takes.

Naomi: ..............

Snake: What's wrong. Naomi?

Naomi: Nothing.... I'm just surprised you're willing to sacrifice yourself. You've got the genes of a soldier, not a saviour

Snake: You trying to say I'm only interested in saving my own skin?

Naomi: I wouldn't go that far but....

Snake: I don't know what the hell my genes look like and I don't care. I operate on instinct.

Namoi: Like an animal?

Snake: I'm going to save Meryl. I don't need an excuse.

Naomi: Okay...

Snake: And I'm not doing it for someone else either. I'm going to save Meryl for myself. Colonel. Don't Worry!

The thing it keeps coming back to is BALANCE. Fucking love that word. BALANCE.

Two people love each other for selfish reasons? Maybe some do, or more rather its a mutual benefit of each others company. Oh there it is again. BALANCE.

LOVE IS JUST AN EMOTION MEANT TO INDUCE HAPPINESS. AND HAPPINESS IS A DELUSION DESIGNED TO KEEP YOU PLAYING THE "GAME OF LIFE". SO IN ESSENCE, YOU SHOULD'NT LOVE, FOR WE ALL DIE EVENTUALLY AND THE LOVE WILL TURN TO SORROW! PEOPLE FIGHT AND DIE IN THE NAME OF LOVE, IT'S MEANING IS SELF INDULGING, AND ONLY LEADS TO JEALOUSY! [OBLIGATORY SWEAR WORDS AND INSULT]

And by the way... I'm TOTALLY not being negative! >:]

LOVE IS JUST AN EMOTION MEANT TO INDUCE HAPPINESS. AND HAPPINESS IS A DELUSION DESIGNED TO KEEP YOU PLAYING THE "GAME OF LIFE". SO IN ESSENCE, YOU SHOULD'NT LOVE, FOR WE ALL DIE EVENTUALLY AND THE LOVE WILL TURN TO SORROW! PEOPLE FIGHT AND DIE IN THE NAME OF LOVE, IT'S MEANING IS SELF INDULGING, AND ONLY LEADS TO JEALOUSY! [OBLIGATORY SWEAR WORDS AND INSULT]

And by the way... I'm TOTALLY not being negative! >:]

FUKC YOU I DO WHAT I WANT

Approaching intimacy authentically is to sincerely ask the question:

“What is love?”

We are in error if, after asking such a question, we then attempt to use our intellect to provide the answer. Such an approach would be the same as a child in kindergarten attempting to come to terms with The Theory of Relativity.

An experiential awareness of what love actually is comes to us from what we do not know.

The capacity to authentically intimately comprehend love is given, not gotten, because attaining it is beyond our current physical limitations, mental understandings, and imprinted emotional predicament. However, this does not for a moment mean we cannot dive into its unfathomable depths. On some divine level this ‘diving into an experiential awareness of what love is’, and most likely ‘drowning what we currently assume about ourselves in the depths of what is revealed’, is what we are here for.

Love is what I am here for.

What we may trust is that by sincerely asking “What is love?” we invite a wave of unexpected dismantling and re-framing of everything ‘we thought love was’. This means a dismantling and re-framing of everything as we thought we knew it, us, and our world to be. This dismantling and re-framing of everything is what most of us are alluding to when we declare: “On some level the idea of exploring intimacy frightens me.”

It is therefore important to approach an exploration into intimacy as humbly as possible. We are to expect to, at times, to be humiliated along the way as our assumptions shatter. It is important to ask the question “What is love?” from the point of view of one who sincerely admits to knowing anything about it – even if we still mentally assume we do. Asking “What is love?” is the same as asking “What am I?” or “What is God?” There are no greater questions – and when asked sincerely – the experience we are setting ourselves up for cannot be surpassed or in any way anticipated.

What is also useful, when asking such a question, is to remind ourselves we are living in an ‘ask and receive’ and not an ‘ask and go get’ universe. This may not be obvious to us right now, because we live on a planet infatuated with seeking answers, not asking the questions. Whenever we ask a question we automatically seek a fast food version of the answer – one that can be instantly transmitted to us through a book or through mental communication from someone we assume ‘knows’.

Others may impart 'their understandings' to us – but only we have the capacity to truly ‘know’. ‘Knowing’ is a deeply, intimately, personal experience.

Accepting others understandings as being ‘the answer’ won’t wash if we are serious about exploring intimacy. Our task is not to answer the question, “What is love?” - our only task is to ask it. The question is causal – the answer if the effect. We currently live in a cause and effect paradigm, and this arrangement works well for us when we work it. It also works against us when we ignore it – or are ignore-ant of it.

Whenever we ask a question and ‘go get’ the answer using our limited physical, mental, and emotional capacities – we confine the calibre of the answer gained. What love is cannot be know through any level of confinement. For many – such limiting answers may be enough. Most of us believe what we read in books and see on TV over and above what our experience is actually revealing to us in each moment. Such an approach won’t benefit us if we intend exploring intimacy authentically.

Approaching intimacy authentically requires embracing our experience as it is unfolding in each moment as being our most highly honoured teacher. When we ask “What is love?” we are served best by not trying to figure out how to answer this question emotionally, mentally, and physically. The most efficient approach is to stay in the question – to remain in a causal-consciousness about it.

When we approach the adventure of exploring intimacy in this way the answer unfolds organically - in an integrated manner - somehow revealing itself miraculously through the limited parameters of our ongoing emotional, mental, and physical experience. Only love itself knows how to accomplish an intimate response to our seeking. Being integrated and organic, the answer to this question unfolds in a manner tailored specifically for us – in a manner we are able to experientially contain according to our current perceptual capacities.

We commence such a profound journey by simply and sincerely asking:

“What is love?”

I know it's a bit late for this. but it just now occurred to me that people just flat up don't give that much of a shit about their relationships, only lust. Now it all makes sense.

I know it's a bit late for this. but it just now occurred to me that people just flat up don't give that much of a shit about their relationships, only lust. Now it all makes sense.

Now this may be true about the majority but some people can actually be not so bad as well. Most people have no clue what is important it seems, so what you are observing is pretty normal. Its not just, but yeah most people are lustful greedy bastards. That's why you have to apply your better judgment in this case. In my opinion trial and error has a lot to do with finding a good spouse just like most other life experiences.

Oh boy. You can't really understand love without having been there and done that.

No amount of college, study or observation can replace experience in this case. When you see a couple swearing at each other, screaming at the top of their lungs, threatening to kill one another, take a step back, take a deep breath, and realize that this is actually quite normal for most people.

When people are emotional they often say things they don't really mean. When a relationship has reached the point where both people openly scream at one another, this isn't necessarily failure, but could be evolution. It simply means they have gotten past the honeymoon phase, where things are no longer based on roses and chocolate and more based on real, day to day things.

Most young people bounce from partner to partner frivolously because they can't handle relationships once is goes past the honeymoon phase. Most of them don't really know what it means to "settle down". Or sometimes when the sex becomes slightly less exiting because you've had sex with them 100 times, they assume "things just didn't work out".

Also, there is a damn good reason why long-term married couples don't have sex as often as they used to. Do you have any idea how boring it would get after having daily sex for months, years even? They space it out as to not get bored.

Now, if all of this sounds unbearable, then perhaps marriage is not for you. The "love" that Hollywood tries to portray is pure 100% BULLSHIT.

When I see a couple fighting, I just walk away. I don't judge them for it, nor do I draw any conclusions from it. Know why? Cas' I've been married for 15 years and have a 16 year old son that's why :)

Love is commitment. It's putting up with the rain and sunshine. Granted I never been in a relationship with any lady, but I know what to look for in one. Courtesy of God providing me 2 amazing parents....however some people don't have that. To which I pity them because I personally wish to see him/her happy. I also know God would want them happy too.

The only thing I can recommend is just loving God through the good and bad times. The most beautiful thing about God, is when one invests all that he or she is hoping for a change, he or she is likely to change as long as they have faith as small as a mustard seed.

I can't tell anyone in simple words how he makes me love all kinds of people more. Heck even put up with bitter people who genuinely want to feel loved. Especially ones who just question God for all that he is.

We can have the best lady, the best job, and all kinds of things, yet we're empty once we really have it or not. Thus, anyone can plug up their ears and deny that they are actually living life. However once it's all said and done, where will we go once the dust settles?

That's a question all will have to think about once they enjoyed life yet underneath they're empty. Or enjoyed life as God guided them home.

Love is commitment. It's putting up with the rain and sunshine. Granted I never been in a relationship with any lady, SO I DON'T know what to look for in one.

Seriously man, plz be in an relationship before giving advice or saying like it is. You know your are my homie, but damn lol. When you talk about this subject, you sound like a food critic writing long reviews on food you've never eaten. It's something you have to experience and no book or people watching will ever prepare you for it.

Also, there is a damn good reason why long-term married couples don't have sex as often as they used to. Do you have any idea how boring it would get after having daily sex for months, years even? They space it out as to not get bored.

Way to make marriage sound terrible Marginal.

I never wholeheartedly disagreed with him per se, it was the manner in which he said it. No one living on planet earth believes humanity, and life itself, is without problems.

But like you said, he doesn't offer any solutions, just stating the issues. And here's why I can relate to him:

I used to think like him. I used to be a complete pessimist and wondered why we even exist at all. He then goes on to claim that we try to justify our existence with our pleasures. This is where I disagree. I'm sort of a hedonist in a way. If things in life give you pleasure, joy, satisfaction, whether it be an accomplishment out of struggle, a cigarette, an orgasm, a cupcake, or marijuana, it doesn't matter. The sheer fact that things give us pleasure make life worth living and makes the whole process WORTH repeating.

In other words, been there, done that. I've been at the mountain top ready to jump off, I've been in the bar drinking 13 beers and crying to myself.

What I realized is that even though life is pretty much superficial and pointless to a large degree, there is still SOME good in it, or at least there are parts in it that outweigh what is bad.

He's probably had some major existential epiphany where he must come to grips with the meaning of his own life, but can't find it, so he's using his negative emotions to cloud his judgement over what is a completely neutral thing: life.

Life is what we make of it. It's up to US to make it good and worth doing. It's our responsibility.

Back