The Future of SC

I would like the next SC game to get some pretty big changes. My main complaint with SC4 is that there is just not enough new stuff if you played SC3. 2 new characters+star war chars, CF system added, very small changes otherwise. Most characters got very few new moves to toy around with.

I wish they would stop taking away depth. The movelists seem to get smaller with each iteration.

That's easy for someone with a community to say. Playing folk isn't so fun when the other person doesn't want to be anymore than a casual player.

It's not easy for me to say. Nothing has come easy for me since I started playing SC4 offline. It took about a month or two to actually get sessions going. It took about a year for me to actually be good at this game offline. It takes alot of time, work, and money to keep my scene going, to travel to tournaments, and to keep things poppin' today.

I'm just lucky to be around people who love Calibur and are also awesome, but everything else takes work and group effort. It's not impossible though. With some work, you guys could be enjoying Calibur like I am today. I wish you could be here to see how much fun we are having, but we will have videos up on YouTube in a bit.

My thing is this. SC4 still has alot of life left if people get out the house and play it. And if you are around people who are bored with Calibur now and maybe hopping onto Tekken since it's new and shiny, the same thing is going to happen if and when SC5 comes out. When it does come out, they are going to dickride and be all about it, then get bored and quit, like men with pussy. It's awesome at first, then it becomes the same old thing after a while until you get bored with it and look for something new. Add some spice to that shit. Stop taking the easy route and quit for something new.

i fully agree with what malice says, i'd love to play this game offline. but for me online is my only option, and for many i'm sure, it's the best option. i cant speak for regions were you play but for me online is still alive and well, with good players on daily and new players popping up all the time.
with better connections and games better adapting to online, i think online will be a legit form of play one day (probably not sc5 :/). most online players acknowledge its faults,and do their best to work around them, but i think it keeps alot of people playing sc.

i think online will be a legit form of play one day (probably not sc5 :/). most online players acknowledge its faults,and do their best to work around them, but i think it keeps alot of people playing sc.
As long as there is zero lag or anything else that doesn't interfere with gameplay then I say itz legit.

Online should definitely stay but of course with much better features.

For future SC games I was kinda hoping that Namco would release Soul Calibur bundle pack with all the classic SC titles at their latest versions.

I especially hope they make SC3 AE version C assuming itz the latest arcade version for consoles.

I wish they would stop taking away depth. The movelists seem to get smaller with each iteration.

I would argue that this is a common misconception. Larger movelists do not necessarily lead to more depth, nor do smaller movelists necessarily remove depth. 3D fighters like SC and Tekken prettymuch always have more moves than 2D fighters but this doesn't mean 2D fighters are any less deep than 3Ds.

Larger movelists can even create problems. For example, in SC (or tekken) most characters should get by just fine at high level using only about 20% of their movelist. Having more moves is nice because it gives you more stuff to toy around with and maybe find some new strategies, but it generally doesn't take long to figure out the important stuff so all the other moves you might find to use are probably just fluff and parlor tricks. When there are a ton of moves that are virtually useless against an experienced opponent I'd say you have a problem. There are all these parlor trick moves that suck in the long run that people have to learn to deal with anyway or they'll get scrubb.ed out by random garbage. Tekken is the worst for this because instead of just having random "useless" moves it many more strings. So now you have to memorize how to deal with all these shitty strings that no one is supposed to be using anyway for 40 different characters (and I'm not just talking about 10 strings). All this does is give you more stuff to memorize that doesn't actually matter in high level anyway

Yeah, I think I'm gonna be too lazy to be very good at Tekken. That's just too many characters and too many strings to become familiar with for me. Didn't help that I didn't play the two previous Tekkens.

^^Agreed Tiamat

In fact I think the depth went up. The CF system is great imo. Casual players feel it never happens unless your lucky, but it's a vital part of my strategy to put my opponents in red to open up. I attempt the CF last round or to save me from a loss.

You now I've been on the whole "add tag team" to multiplayer rant for awhile...and it just dawned on me...what strategic value would that really have? Sure it's cool you can have 4 players...but unless the switch can lead to combos I dunno why it would be helpful. Then if it does the combos could be a clusterfuck of brokeness unless some mechanic was introduce to keep it balanced. The only real perk is if there's a pretty hard counter pick and really this game doesn't have many direct counter picks (exception Yoda vs Rock. lol), you generally have better or worse character across the whole roster.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna be too lazy to be very good at Tekken. That's just too many characters and too many strings to become familiar with for me. Didn't help that I didn't play the two previous Tekkens.

Seconded....

Post-Patch Tekken-level netcode would work well enough for SC.

The problem would be convincing casuals that SCV is not just SCIV, without adding excessive gimmickry.

Best way to fix this
- add a ton of customizations, maybe instead of guest chars, have guest custom outfits.
- power up the chars in general
- some new gimmicky single player mode that isn't forced on hardcore players
- maybe revamp a few chars (hilde, nightmare)

What definitely needs to be kept
- critical finish (it worked well)
- customization system and unlock system

Customization was one of the huge selling points of SC.

I think we should be rid of the guest-combatants. Tekken got along just fine without them. Soul Calibur and Soul Blade did fine without them. They only serve as a discussion point on who to ban from tournaments every time a new game comes out.

Back