The Setsuka Side Effect

tresto

[09] Warrior
Hi Setsuka users !!!

I've been trying to play Setsuka for a few days now. She's super hardcore, everything has to be 1-frame timed, her real damage only comes when you pull out JFs or hard stuff like silver moon or sakura combo (which I can do consistently on practice mode and sometimes on match).

Anyway I've been playing many matches, and since I like to play online I actually created a special PSN account to learn Setsuka. (i'm level 8 how cool). Struggling to win, I relied a lot on blocking and retaliating, stepping, throws, and attacking by surprise with her long range stuff : 33B, 66B+K, 2143aB, and even 44A+B if I managed to get my opponent to freeze under my counter hits. Or just basic 2A to interrupt mashers...

This was very frustrating, I was like shit I want to attack this is so hard.
Guess what ? When I went back to my pitbull mains (Cass, Amy, Soph, Yoshi) my general level had improved so much !! I was completely destroying players I didn't have a chance against just a week before.

So Setsuka improves your timing. If you're an average player like me, learn Setsuka and your mains will become fearsome !!!

Thanks to you all umbrellas, I'm much better now !!

the setsuka side effet

LOL!, good to know my baby is helping you in other matters.

She is special like that...^_^

the setsuka side effet

The 1B:B JF into the 6K crumple stun is your best friend. It leads into Umbrella or Silver Moon combo if timed correctly (damn near impossible on line, but doable. Ultimately, you're better off hitting them with umbrella.)
But yeah, Setsuka is my Main and she's made ALL Of my characters better.

Thank you setsuka!!!!! I love you!!!!

But seriously, she's cool.

the setsuka side effet

1B:B into 214B is a lot more damage than 6K, just as easy online, plus 1B:B is mashable. Just saying. And I don't think you can get B+K after CH 6K.

the setsuka side effet

Setsuka teaches you concentration if you stick with her. If you master setsuka, you'll have no problems doing ANY JF's whatsoever.

the setsuka side effet

Not really. I "mastered" Setsuka's JF and can't do a single AMy's 66:B or Voldo's 66:B, or iGDR or a thing like that. It just teaches you not to give up when you can't do something.

the setsuka side effet

Not really. I "mastered" Setsuka's JF and can't do a single AMy's 66:B or Voldo's 66:B, or iGDR or a thing like that. It just teaches you not to give up when you can't do something.

Are you using a pad ? That would explain it I suppose. On a stick it must be the easiest JF in the whole game, just slap the direction twice with full palm as fast as possible and it comes out consistently.

BTW I made a mistake in my previous list. I don't use 2143 a:B. Actually I never ever managed to pull it even once !! The only way I can get that damn umbrella to come out is by going in full crouch, holding direction 3 and only then, sliding the aB sequence. And even there, it's no JF umbrella, just ordinary one.

What's the real technique to doing it ? How do you learn to do that impossible umbrella ?

I manage to pull out Yoshi's iMCF pretty rarely too. Maybe my stick sucks (it's a Hori FS3) ? I'm thinking about getting a HRAP or Mad Catz SF4 TE. What do you think ?

Thanks for any advice

the setsuka side effet

I love my TE stick...

It should make slides very very easy.

also I feel Ivy's 5JF is still the hardest...while initially landing a few isn't hard at all...getting all 5 consistently is hard and risky. The pay off isn't super for the effort either, but if you can do it, then you might as well.

the setsuka side effet

OK so that's one fan of full Sanwa. Do you really feel the difference ? I never tried one. All I know about sticks is stuff I read, and the fact that mine feels a little cheap. (and obviously that I can't pull out quite a bit of JFs, but hey maybe I just need more practice)

the setsuka side effet

OK so now I declare Hori FS3 is dysfunctionnal !!! I tried to do umbrella on dualshock pad, just for kicks. Came out nearly every freaking time. It was normal umbrella because I'm not fast enough yet, but umbrella none the less. Never worked a single time on the stick !

Gotta get an HRAP on Mad Catz TE now... Setsuka taught me that too : my stick sucks. Baaaaah

the setsuka side effet

I don't have a problem with jf umb and iMCF on the FS3. It just takes a bit of gettng used to. If you can't slide fast enough you can practice the two finger method, but that's way harder than sliding.

the setsuka side effet

JF umbrella is the only JF I really have any problem with, but I can't do it worth a damn.

the setsuka side effet

This is true. I usually, follow up with a :A:+:K: JF Umbrella, or 22:A:+:B:, :A: or even another 1:B::B:.

You could also try 1B:B 2143B:B jf umbrella. I don´t really remember how much damage it does, but I think it´s about 70-ish. Don´t quote me on this one though.

I own both a FS3 and a full Sanwa stick and I´ll have to say that the extra bucks for the Sanwa parts really pay off big time. It sure is possible to do all the JF´s on the FS3, but it´s a lot less comfortable.

It just teaches you not to give up when you can't do something.

Quoted for truth.

the setsuka side effet

Sanwa buttons are just a lot faster than the generic parts you will get in a FS3. I have sanwa buttons and a seimitsu stick in my custom stick and I can do any slide move, regular or just frame. When you press a Sanwa button you hardly have to press down at all...they are just so buttery.

the setsuka side effet

also I feel Ivy's 5JF is still the hardest...while initially landing a few isn't hard at all...getting all 5 consistently is hard and risky. The pay off isn't super for the effort either, but if you can do it, then you might as well.

And your crap pours into yet another topic. Maybe you should look at the risk/reward on other characters JFs. Such as Yoshi's 4A, 1A, and FC1K series. Ivy does not have the hardest JFs get over it.

the setsuka side effet

And your crap pours into yet another topic. Maybe you should look at the risk/reward on other characters JFs. Such as Yoshi's 4A, 1A, and FC1K series. Ivy does not have the hardest JFs get over it.

I actually lol'd when I read this because it is so true, I dont even post regularly but it seems like everytime I come across fanboys post, it makes me want to throw up a little bit..

Sorry it was off topic, but I just had to highfive dude, for putting fagboy in his place..

Back