To what extent is CaS a good thing?

Because CAS allows individuality in the game and it also encourages single player modes to unlock items. Also if your like me who spends WAY too much finding just the right color for my customs it's quite gratifying when you finished. SC isn't just a fighting game and I think all SC fans will agree it is a fighting game that is unlike any other fighting game and the CAS is part of the reason why. I think the important to remember too is that not all fans of SC have interest in frame data/hit boxes/Tiers (Like my little brother who is eight.) he just loves kicking ass and if he wants to kick ass as a custom made spider man who wields a huge axe let him.

i am not into this Hitboxes either! XD... but i just love the look of the game and CAS <3 overall just beautiful <3

If this was a world where everybody got good tastes and a lil knowledge of chara design CaS was good

But in this retard world,even if personally i like CaS, i will be all for tekken rail-type editor

If Namco includes a CaS option to simply "Align proportions and hitboxes with base style? Y/N" and have that be a toggle, we can not worry about hitboxes/hurtboxes or phantom range issues AND people who use CaS for fun and want variable things can opt not to use that options.

For me what CaS brings to the table is essentially almost limitless extra costumes for the standard characters; provided their clothes don't explode off of them, making stripper calibur all over again.

If Namco includes a CaS option to simply "Align proportions and hitboxes with base style? Y/N" and have that be a toggle, we can not worry about hitboxes/hurtboxes or phantom range issues AND people who use CaS for fun and want variable things can opt not to use that options.

For me what CaS brings to the table is essentially almost limitless extra costumes for the standard characters; provided their clothes don't explode off of them, making stripper calibur all over again.
I agree with you...except for the stripper calibur which I personally think is a nice touch.

Interesting topic, questioning what now seems to be a staple of the series. imo, it kind of works like this:

Online play : Tolerance, source of entertainment (Papa Smurf? gtfo!)
Offline : A fun addition to an already amazing game (Make all the Sephiroths you want, pal. Just be decent enough so I don't have to see it :P)
Tournament : Hit boxes don't add up, voice cues off? By all means, ban. You don't even need CaS at tournaments.

At the end of the day, like it, loathe it but CaS is a huge draw and it's here to stay. I like Create a Soul. But I love Soul Calibur.

Really, I reckon people use them for their smaller hit boxes than that of the original character (unless it is Amy or Talim, of course).

Create a Soul: Pros and Cons (My opinion)

Pros
Money issues. All you have to remember is that Namco is a company. Well, CaS appeals to and attracts every casual/artistic player/child who wants to create and show off his/her Barbie online/offline for their personal reasons.
And yeah that's 50% or more of the people who buy SC only for that, so not including it, those fans will say "bye-bye" to SC and since that "goodbye" hurts Namco's pocket, they continue to include it and we get new SCs ^^ Yeah, since 3, "no CaS" means "no new SC". (CaS = $$ = new SC = ...)

It adds variety to the game. You can be as creative as you want and create, dress up and colour your doll/favourite character. Also, it shuts your mouth by allowing you create the character you want, instead of crying all day for a special type of character (SC3 CaS was better considering that). Last but not least, you can have more dolls than the 30 standard characters, so that you can stop whining all day why Tekken has 42...

Excitement. Men can get 100% happy from it. Women only 50%, but who cares?

Adds realism (lol) and aesthetics to the game, to a very limited point. That's supposed to be the whole idea... (However in real life you cannot be stripped off your armour just like Zoro stripped Zeta off her dress)

Cons
Screwed up hitboxes/advantage. Play as/against a tall Amy/Talim and you'll remember my words (The Amy/Talim player should know the purpose of the button X of course, serious stuff ^^). And that's why they are 100% banned from tournaments. (Ok Namco could fix it I believe, but if they have 26 characters to "balance", they won't really bother about it).

Stripper Calibur/Awful creations. Not very important cons but they both hurt my ego and eyes. Specially the first one makes me furious because all I want to do is show off the doll I foolishly spent x hours to match the parts and colours in order to make it awesome enough to be SC's Next Top Model. (But still, Namco can fix that too and make all the clothes break just like the character's outfits. However, time = $$)

Disgusting voices/parts/faces, etc.../Limited options. As people who live in the 21st century we've learned not to be satisfied with what we've been given and always want more and more.

It exists. I love Sims Calibur. Most, if not all of us feel the same. But since SC3, Namco is bound to it, they have to include it in every game. But to me, it drives fans away from the core purpose of the game, in a way. BTW, I prefer SC2 costume 3P unlocks instead... And I have Sims 2 (3 sucks) installed on my PC for the purpose of simulating/satisfaction/expression of creativity...

I guess that's all...

I think the original post is making the mistake of thinking that A) people are always “serious” when they make such characters, and/or B) this game (any game?) should always be played the “right” way.

This is 8WR, so it’s a given that most people’s priority here is to play the game competitively, as a true fighting game. Some of us may also enjoy making serious / original / creative / alternative CAS characters. But that doesn’t invalidate other people’s enjoyment of the game as just a funny button masher in which they can make silly characters.

Hell, more than half the time my brother, sister, and myself sat down for a joint CAS session, we were not intending to ever use the CAS in actual battles; we just wanted to see if we could create a recognizable version of a character using the limited tool set available. In a sense, CAS itself became a game, and the challenge was to combine items and colors in creative ways so as to achieve a certain effect, even one that seemed unlikely before we tried it. My sister actually “played” this “game” about 1000 times as much as she did actual matches, and we had a lot of fun together doing so. I for one appreciate that.

Yes, CAS cannot be used in tournaments, precisely because the hitboxes are screwed up and the audio cues are changed. This is one reason I think that CAS (but not original roster recolors) should be disabled in a hypothetical “Kiosk Mode” for tournament organizers. But that’s a topic for/from a different thread.

One of your arguments seems (indirectly) to be that if CAS wasn’t present, you’d see fewer people online who don’t know what they’re doing. I disagree. I think people with different gameplay priorities would still play online, they just wouldn’t look as ridiculous while doing so. Your problem is really two problems - disliking matches against scrubs, and disliking fighting “stupid” CAS characters online (both for aesthetic and for gameplay reasons).

Both problems are, in theory, solvable. Figuring out a better ranking / matching system will be difficult, but I believe it possible. And preventing CAS online could be (not necessarily will be) implemented as an option - i.e., game match settings “no CAS” (ideally, as fine-grained as “no CAS” or “no CAS, but allow recolors of main cast”). I’m not holding my breath for such a feature, but neither am I betting against it.

Is CAS a good thing? Sure it is. More content and gameplay modes are always good. The problem is making sure that anything you personally don’t like about that mode does not encroach upon your own enjoyment of the game in other modes; i.e., for those people who feel as you do, there should be an option to prevent CAS from being selectable in online versus matches.

I personally play SC for laughs as much as anything, and so enjoy seeing people’s stupid characters online.

there are some really good CAS i've seen that made me smile and nod, thinking, "nice thats a great looking character"
usually tho it looks more like this :)

And I have Sims 2 (3 sucks) installed on my PC for the purpose of simulating/satisfaction/expression of creativity...

I guess that's all...

loved the pro's and cons!... but the pros are way more!^^ just sayin^^

and to the Sims thing!.. i LOVE to create characters hopfully soon in everygame! <3 but i dont like Sims!.. i wanna do somethin with my character that is extraordinary! like in the SC case FIGHTING! i love to show of my ''barbie''^^ and to fight agains others...
but i hate all those creativity less creatures that im fighting agains..-.-...
even tho I always get the HATE messages XD

I love stripper calibur... =P

But in all honesty CaS is a great thing for this game and its community. 130% times the amount of options from SC IV means I could probably make that one elusive formula this time around..

Reminds me of SC3 when a character using Soul of Setsuka would always have the blade floating outside of their hand.
Eh, CaS is just a fun thing they threw in. Gives more originality to the game so you don't get bored with it so quickly.

Back