Valid reasons to warrant a Ban.

To this, I say that it's an image of what Soul Calibur 4 is. Besides, from all the custom characters I've seen online, it looks like people actually like the idea of guest characters. I know I absolutely loved playing as Link (being a guest there doesn't even take any work for his environment), and though I could never get him to work right, I felt Heihachi was a golden moment for SC. A character that doesn't need weapons? Hardcore. I grudgingly accepted that they weren't allowable for tournaments, though, because there was no way to put each on all consoles. If all 3 could be unlocked in all consoles, hoo boy, I would've fought just as hard as I am now and, considering that I'm a friend of the guy who organized the tournaments I played, I probably would've been able to accomplish it.
But you're basing off casual just-for-fun matches which I could care less about.

I'm talking what happens if in the tourney scene a lot of players use Star Wars characters? Would banning those SW characters be a valid reason?

Perhaps my talking about Soul Calibur 2 caused my point to get lost. What I'm saying is that if even in tournaments, Star Wars characters are used heavily and heck, even place high or win, all it makes a statement about is Soul Calibur 4, not the series. It would make an additional statement, though, that a good Star Wars fighter is a possibility and Namco knows how to do it. Even though I posted on the possibility of Star Wars coming back in 5 on the wiki, I know (as does everybody) that the possibility is laughably negligible, meaning they won't be coming back. Anyone that gets to thinking Soul Calibur is tightly connected with Star Wars will quickly find out through the SC community that this is not the case.

The Soul Calibur community and its image will not be damaged if Star Wars characters work out, nor is that even important. Each game stands on its own, and all bans should be made accordingly.

P.S.: Although I did talk about how I liked them from a flavor perspective, I also talked about their role in tournaments, which you seem to have glossed over.

About "They Don't Belong in the Game"

What if eventually many tourney players use Star Wars Characters? Or if there are regions with many Star Wars players? Wouldn't that affect of the image of what Soul Calibur really is? Would it be a reason to ban them?
What is this "image" of Soul Calibur that you speak of? SCIV has Starwars characters. That's what it is. Maybe we should all just go back to holding Soul Edge tourneys or something. Is that more like what Soul Calibur is "supposed" to be?

You people make me laugh more everyday.

You have turned this debate into you own, and does not include my decision at all any more.

Again people are talking about Balance issues.

Everyone is hiding from the Major point.

THIS IS SOUL CALIBUR. NOT STARWARS.

And if people in the T.O community used SW/Algol I wouldn't mind.

The sadd fact is one of the better players feels its necessary to use these Stupid Shitheads against Newer players. And is happy to defeat them, saying "You should've came prepared"/

MY DECISION IS BASED ON TOURNEY TURNOUTS. I WANT TO MAXIMIZE THE TURNOUT AND EXPERIENCE FOR ALL PLAYERS.

Does anyone here REALLY THINK OOFs needs SW/ALGOL?!?!? O RLY?!@?

OOF plays based on Principles and Morals. Not to have fun. This guys defended LIZ's THROW-VC with no throw break window and auto-matic RO in SC3. He feels it forces the opponent to play better.

THIS IS THE MENTALITY YOU GUYS ARE DEFENDING.

AGAIN less than 1% of the Tourney players I've seen use SW characters. An argument could be made for Algol, but not SW.

and again, you guys are debating amongt yourselves, and look extremely foolish.

And if you support Star Wars characters, the terrorists win.

Get a cup of water, DINO. You need to chill out and take your evangel somewhere else. I don't know if anyone told you, but no one agrees that you are the Soul Calibur Pope, so stop acting like it.

Setting your own rules for tournaments that you host is considered acting like the pope...?

You have turned this debate into you own, and does not include my decision at all any more.

The sadd fact is one of the better players feels its necessary to use these Stupid Shitheads against Newer players. And is happy to defeat them, saying "You should've came prepared"/

MY DECISION IS BASED ON TOURNEY TURNOUTS. I WANT TO MAXIMIZE THE TURNOUT AND EXPERIENCE FOR ALL PLAYERS.

OOF plays based on Principles and Morals. Not to have fun. This guys defended LIZ's THROW-VC with no throw break window and auto-matic RO in SC3. He feels it forces the opponent to play better.

AGAIN less than 1% of the Tourney players I've seen use SW characters. An argument could be made for Algol, but not SW.

What evidence do you have that this will improve the turnout? Here is a good example of what the more casual player is thinking about Algol at least. http://soulcaliburuniverse.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=sb58rnpl0v74aohk48d3jjq8a5&topic=3329.0

Right now your decision is very scrubby Dino. You haven't presented any evidence or reasons that make your argument any more valid than me banning ring outs for example. I should ban ring outs because they are unfair and newcomers hate to get ringed out. Ring outs are as bad as infinites because they are one hit kills. If these characters really do reduce the turnout, prove it to me. Until then, you just sound like a whiny girl scared of playing Oof's SW characters.

BTW, ban hilde if you have such a problem with Lizzy's VC in sc3. It just as deadly at ringing out plus I can't VC my way out of it or duck it like I could Lizzy's in SC3.

Setting your own rules for tournaments that you host is considered acting like the pope...?

Setting his own rules and posting about it with the dim hopes that others will agree with his wacked out logic is acting like the pope.

Seriously, if he were just talking about it in a calm and mature fashion, he might be easier to listen to. But he's going on about it like he's on a crusade. Sometimes HOW a message is delivered can be just as crucial as the message itself.

From a competitive viewpoint, you're the only one looking extremely foolish.

The only reason I defended VC in the beginning was because I believe everything deserves a chance rather than being insta-banned. I was trying to look at the positive aspects of it at the time. Sure I had fun and enjoyed playing with VC, but I understood later on that the competitive community would be better off with it banned.

Did you forget that I recorded a bunch of vids of myself in tournaments and casual play and posted them on my YouTube so everyone could see Lizardman's VC in action? Me posting on YouTube was one of the sparks that got people to realize that VC needed to be banned. Sure VC needed to be banned but it also needed a chance to be allowed for a while so that people could fairly come to that decision. That was the very same reason that I was so highly against banning Algol at the beginning, because he needed to be given a chance as well. I still don't feel Algol should be fully banned either.

Why do you keep trying to make this a personal thing towards me? The subject of this topic has nothing to do with me, I just use the mentioned characters as secondaries, thats all. Keep my name out of your debates.

From an outsider point of view, Starwars characters clearly don't belong to the game.
They were put here for marketing, and wether they are fun or not to play with (I personally feel horrible when i play against Yoda, it isn't fun.. at all), I simply agree with the ban. Regardless they are broken or not. Besides, I would NEVER agree to pay 5$ to get console exclusive characters, I paid the game and that is all. Even if it is cheap or not that's not the point. If they made a SoulCalibur4 AE thing patching more things and adding some REAL namco characters I would pay the game but I will not pay more to play against a SW character.

Algol.... is another story. I wanted him to be allowed in France, but I completely understand why he is banned.

French rules : (not saying they are the best)
- Algol, SW characters (including Starkiller) banned.
Reason : they aren't any reasons apart from marketing SW characters are in the game, they're console exclusive and Algol is really no fun to deal with (effective bubble? what a pain), and completely change the way the game is played. Well perhaps some guys have fun playing against him but I personnally don't and most of french players don't.
- bonus characters banned.

Oh btw guys, Hilde is no way broken. She's strong, she's top tier, but broken?? Hell no. Learn to Gi and to play against her, it's like saying Nightmare is completely broken because you don't know how to punish him or to to deal with him.

This is how I look at it- which is a little different then you guys

Regular characters have to deserve to be banned

Guest/bonus characters have to deserve to be allowed.

I would make the argument that none of the SW or bonus chars adds to the game or makes it more fun, therefore they should not be allowed.

If it was a slow dude with a sword, I'd have no problem with it.
The Magical Chinese dude I'd still want banned due to throws not working on him

Despite my disagreements with OOF's opinion, I accept the fact that he has a valid opinion. That said, I think half of the SC4 community has a philosophical disagreement with the other half. That does NOT make the other half of the community whiny scrubs- and that argument I do have a problem with.

From an outsider point of view, Starwars characters clearly don't belong to the game.
They were put here for marketing, and wether they are fun or not to play with (I personally feel horrible when i play against Yoda, it isn't fun.. at all), I simply agree with the ban. Regardless they are broken or not. Besides, I would NEVER agree to pay 5$ to get console exclusive characters, I paid the game and that is all. Even if it is cheap or not that's not the point. If they made a SoulCalibur4 AE thing patching more things and adding some REAL namco characters I would pay the game but I will not pay more to play against a SW character.

Algol.... is another story. I wanted him to be allowed in France, but I completely understand why he is banned.

French rules : (not saying they are the best)
- Algol, SW characters (including Starkiller) banned.
Reason : they aren't any reasons apart from marketing SW characters are in the game, they're console exclusive and Algol is really no fun to deal with (effective bubble? what a pain), and completely change the way the game is played. Well perhaps some guys have fun playing against him but I personnally don't and most of french players don't.
- bonus characters banned.

Oh btw guys, Hilde is no way broken. She's strong, she's top tier, but broken?? Hell no. Learn to Gi and to play against her, it's like saying Nightmare is completely broken because you don't know how to punish him or to to deal with him.

This is the perfect example why people should ban game breaking glitches only. Banning based on opinion will have all areas having different rules. The French rules banned SW characters because they feel "they aren't a part of this game" just a marketing tool. They also banned Algol because he is no fun to deal with. This is no way to make rules. In Norcal, everyone here thinks Hilde is by far the most broke character. Are we right? Who knows, but we have just as valid reason to ban her as people do Algol because they are banning based on opinion.

The Magical Chinese dude I'd still want banned due to throws not working on him
You would still want that, and so would other whiners, but it wouldn't go through because all by itself it wouldn't be enough to merit banning a weak character. It's the superficial shit that's really getting your work done here.

Why would you ever want to ban a magical chinese midget? Those characters are what fighting games are made of. Also, keep posting PhilBond. I find your stuff rather amusing.

The extra caps you add confirm my original assessment. You sir, are batshit fucking crazy.

More Name-calling.

This seems like an attack at OOF because he is the only one in the T.O community that uses them.

For people that think I have trouble fighting SW characters, ask OOF how the last tournament went.

Cap-lox or no I dont really care. This is a forum. Why should I care about how I type.

I'm glad there are still sensible people who see where I'm coming from, and not spouting stupid analogies that are irrelevant to my decision.

ANYWAYS OOF HOPEFULLY I SEE YOU AT STRYDERS TODAY

EVERYONE KEEP UP THE ENTERTAINMENT....THIS SITE NEEDS IT!!

batshitfishcunt

Back