Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown

Nice that the main arcade big bad guy villian guy is the training dummy.

The customization are surprisingly in depth as well which was nice. Loving the game atm.

Starting off as Wolf the wrestler guy since I always neglect the wrestlers for the sexy females, but no more!

What I do love about Wolf is that they keep on added WWE wrestler's finishers to his move list.

I did pop far too loudly in VF4 when they added the F5.

From a noobs perspective this is what this game is like for me.

1. Pick someone fast (preferably one with a devastating low attack at the end of combos)
  2. Wail the fuck on everyone cause apparently everything is an advantage on block
  3. You knock them down? Get the fuck away from them as fast as possible.
  4. They're back up? Run to them and repeat 2-4

2's very wrong.
3 can be valid. You're potentially missing out on oki opportunities though. IIRC, just blocking a rising attack = free throw. (Assuming they don't throw escape.)

From a noobs perspective this is what this game is like for me.

1. Pick someone fast (preferably one with a devastating low attack at the end of combos)
  2. Wail the fuck on everyone cause apparently everything is an advantage on block
  3. You knock them down? Get the fuck away from them as fast as possible.
  4. They're back up? Run to them and repeat 2-4

Almost all lows are disadvantaged, even on hit.

Almost all string enders are disadvantaged.

when you have a low on the end of a string, you are just asking for pain if it's blocked.

Safe and advantage are two different things. The majority of attacks are safe, but very few moves are ever advantage on block.

Everyone can be a fast character. Poke poke poke the shit out of people who are quick and wail on you.
P, 3P, 6P, 2P, reversals and sabakis...
Hell, you play Wolf? You might want to watch the wolf games in these streams.
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/320620314
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/320623038
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/320631032

Most safe attacks give something between -3 to -8 on block. The quicker attacks take between 11 - 15 frames to execute. The ever so famous 2P takes 12 frames. After you blocked something and the other player is at -3 or worse, any 15f mid attack will beat their disadvantaged attack.

Beware, some attacks actually give frame advantage on block, but those are rare but most characters have one or two.

And yeah when I knock someone down, I run the fuck away. It's possible to have a NASTY okizeme game that beats rising attacks, but it's a science that I'm not ready to learn yet.

I think I'll admit this here first: I'm starting to have my fill with learning fighting games on arcade sticks.

At this point it's becoming more of a chore than something worth learning. I'm spending more of my time trying to get down execution than I am learning my character, which to me seems like a waste when on a pad I could probably dive right in and I'd be a lot further along than I am now. I might never be a great fighting game player if I stick to a controller but it just seems more practical and, ultimately, more fun to play on a controller because I don't lose all my training time trying to get b, f+P+K to come out.

A stick or a pad isn't that important. It's possible to play Akira on a pad. Use what you prefer.

The stick was free so I guess it's no loss if I don't use it but...well...it was free, I should use it.

The stick was free so I guess it's no loss if I don't use it but...well...it was free, I should use it.
If it's any help, my own experience with sticks went like this:
Bought a NES advantage. Hated it. Sold it.
Bought some SNES stick. Used it a few times, then it collected dust.
Bought a Namco stick. Sold it.
Bought an Agetech stick for the Dreamcast. Sold it.

Took me months (with Agetech stick #2 for the DC) before I finally felt comfortable with one when I finally knuckled down and made myself keep using one. I tend to prefer them now but concrete advantages between a pad and a stick are marginal at best. Too many tournament results have demonstrated that you don't need one to be good.

If it's any help, my own experience with sticks went like this:
Bought a NES advantage. Hated it. Sold it.
Bought some SNES stick. Used it a few times, then it collected dust.
Bought a Namco stick. Sold it.
Bought an Agetech stick for the Dreamcast. Sold it.

Took me months (with Agetech stick #2 for the DC) before I finally felt comfortable with one when I finally knuckled down and made myself keep using one. I tend to prefer them now but concrete advantages between a pad and a stick are marginal at best. Too many tournament results have demonstrated that you don't need one to be good.

I see what you did there

Getting the hang of Vanessa now, I feel comfortable in either stance. Dedicated a day to learning each of them, and now I alternate between them between rounds just to get a nice balance of practice. Have to say though, lovin' Offensive stance, lotsa dangerous throw/mid mixups.

That's funny since I play Brad to feel like Anderson Silva, just without the break dancing and sometimes lack of motivation within the fight.

Taka's supposed to be top tier. Despite that, I've only played one so far on both networks.

Back