What Fighting Style Incarnation Is Your Favorite?

JaseyJasee

[10] Knight
Hi! I just felt like making this thread out of general curiosity.

We all have a favorite (or multiple favorite) characters and fighting styles. But which game has the best incarnation of a fighting style for your favorite character/s?

For me here's mine
Sophitia - Soulcalibur III. I love her SCIII style the best out of them all, I know it's very similar to her SCIV style but I like some of the moves she has that where removed from her SCIV incarnation. The only thing I would like better is if she had her 236236AA move from SCIV.

Cassandra - Soulcalibur III. For me this is the best, I really do love her SCIV style cause she has great combos, but there is just things about her SCIII style that I love so much more. She has some better just frames in SCIII compared to SCIV and she was just a lot more fun to play as. Once again I don't like how some of her best moves from SCIII where removed in SCIV.

Amy - Soulcalibur IV. No questions asked. I did like the console version of her SCIII style, but it was vastly improved in SCIV and became a unique style, that I like. I know in the arcade version of SCIII it's basically the same as her SCIV style but, well, I never played that so yeah.

Pyrrha - Soulcalibur Lost Swords. I know what you're all thinking, but her SCLS style to me was improved so much over her SCV style. She has some new moves that really suit her and I like the different counters she has, some better combo opportunities. Obviously, I wish her move list was bigger, but this is Lost Swords we're talking about.

Tira - Soulcalibur V. Yes, don't get me wrong I loved Tira in SCIII and SCIV, but I always found her SCIV style difficult to use and her SCIII style wasn't that fun. In SCV however I think her combos are really cool and I think she was improved over SCIV. She did lose all her just frames though which is disappointing (except she still has one - I can't remember the input right now - while in gloomy, it's a combo starter). I also think that Tira's brave edges where something that actually improved her a lot too. Well, I know that some of her brave edges where just frames in SCIV, which I actually prefer.

And that's about it from me, I would like to know what all your favorite incarnations are?! Oh, and if this thread is in the wrong place please move it (I've never created a thread before), thanks.

Yoshi - SC4: More fun (though a lot more punishable)

Alpha - SCV: easily brings back some of the more high damage opportunities of SC3 Setsuka, meter options make things even better (all quick, all great), his body attacks are better.

Hilde/Ivy - SCV: not stupid. >_>

Maxi/Tira - SCV: more approachable (and seemingly more viable).

I didn't really play 2 and 3 enough to even remember much from them, so I guess I'm not the best person to answer these but here anyway.

Totally agree. But I also have to add Cervantes to this.

My fav incarnations are the ones in SCIII, however SCV did a really good job with the balance, however, I miss a lot of moves from so many characters.
Yes, SCV did do better with balance, however I do prefer the complexity of Ivy from SCIV and I also prefer Cervantes from SCIV too!

Yes, I love the style's in SCIII!

Yes, SCV did do better with balance, however I do prefer the complexity of Ivy from SCIV and I also prefer Cervantes from SCIV too!

Yes, I love the style's in SCIII!
The problem with Ivy in SCIV is that you have like 3 styles in one character. I think her SCII version was perfect, because you have multiple stances, but with only 3 types of attacks.(She may has more, it's been a long time since I played this game)
Cervantes was more fun in others games, I agree with that, but I guess sometimes developers need to sacrifice some of fun in order to balance.

if you mean in terms of what's the most straightforward and gotten more wins, sc5.

but as a whole, it just doesn't feel the same for me as the previous games. she had so many great moves and 5 is just so stripped down. i have good memories of sc3 and those beautiful ballet moves she had but it's been about 6 years since then so i can't speak much on gameplay; i missed the special stances but liked that they were at least reworked into her regular moveset .

sc4 was a struggle; it took me a really long time to adapt to the changes from 3 and i got my ass beat for MONTHS before i started getting better. i am pretty much a casual, but complexity and versatility is part of the excitement of playing her and i feel like some of its been lost with all the moves they've gotten rid of and softened.

Last edited:
SC3 Cervantes, mainly cuz his iGDR is a tech crouch and a tech jump. If Sophie does 236AA or Kilik does 66AA, his iGDR hops over the second A and then to complement his iGDR, he does iTS. They both look so flashy together as a combo.

Then of course there's his FC A+B GC which can done by moving the right analogue up and down rapidly though it maybe disorienting at first.

Ivy - Soul Calibur II/III. Ivy was pretty much the first character I touched in SC2 and I loved her stances and move variations. Admittedly, I wasn't amazing with her but she sure was fun to use. I got a better grasp with her in SC3 though. In Soul Calibur IV, she was very complex which was fun at times but I just never got the hang of her. In V, she gets pretty stale to play after awhile in my opinion.

Amy - Soul Calibur IV. It's pretty obvious I'd go for IV since hse had a fleshed out moveset. Very fun to play.

Taki - Soul Calibur II/III/IV. Yeah honestly, I enjoyed playing Taki in all the games. She was pretty much main since she's a fast character. However yes, I miss her wall run ability. They should have had her keep it.

Cassandra - Soul Calibur III/IV. I didn't play Cassandra a whole lot in II and while she was fun in that game, I definitely enjoyed her the most in III. She was fast but hard-hitting. I loved it. In SCIV, she definitely slowed down but I still enjoyed using her a lot.

Tira - Soul Calibur V/III. Tira is pretty much at her best in V I think. I never could get a good solid grasp on her in IV. In III, I enjoyed playing her and I wish they kept a few moves from III. But yeah, she is addicting to play in V for sure.

Xianghua - Soul Calibur II/III/IV. Like Taki, I pretty much enjoyed playing her in all the games she appeared in. I will say that IV will get the golden apple on this one because she had so many fun moves to pull off.

Hilde - Soul Calibur V. Hilde was really boring to play in SCIV in my opinion which sucked because I was excited for her. However in V, she is VERY fun to play. I find myself picking her a lot lol.

Kilik - Soul Calibur IV. I pretty much played him a lot in IV and it was fun learning his moves. I did use him a fair amount in SCII & III but I never could get a good grasp on him.

Back