What is it you like about every fighting game?

franman

[13] Hero
Whether you played them or not, whether you even like them or not there maybe some attractive feature(s) that leaves a signature mark for that fighting game.

I'll list some fighting games:

Tekken: I love the fact that there is a button assigned for left punch, left kick, right punch and right kick it makes things harder to mash but to me it has a stronger potential to do more specific moves with a certain attack.

DOA: the fact that there is a difference between tapping and button and pushing a button adds more simplicity to the controls. Why do I need to push fierce punch when I could have pushed one button to do exactly that; same thing when doing light/quick punches just instead of doing LP tap the same button lightly.

Smash Bros: tapping the analogue stick left or right that makes the character do dashes is better than double tapping with the d-pad and even the analogue stick itself.

KOF: the biggest feature that this game pulls off are the 3 levels of jumping. I don't know how the control works for this scheme but if it were in my own fighting game I would use DOA's concept of pushing and tapping buttons to do short hops to big jumps.

Street Fighter: What I notice that plays a big role from SF is the execution. I believe the more stuff like this the better because you want to specifically attack in a certain way and based on the directions you pushed in combination with a button you perform that move specifically. Another attractive feature are move cancels whether it is used as a scare tactic or within combos cancels set the bar of making SF attractive to watch and perhaps play.

Soul Calibur: The most I get out of this game are horizontals and verticals, but if it were my game horizontals and verticals won't be performed by a button that represents each. Moreover, like SF it will be based on execution.

So these are basically the concepts and features I like most about each fighting game; as you can see, I'm sorta hinting to the features my fighting game will likely have.

I love how some fighting games make you go on long adventures of doing several missions to unlock legendary gear. To make the game last longer & make it more interesting. I love how some fighting games allows you to change your moves list to create devastating combo's & different ways to fight your opponent. I love how fights last more then 5 minutes.

I need a new fighting game by the way. One that involves mmo, rpg mechanics, co-op forming, skilled combat mechanics, adventures/missions to obtain legendary gear, heart racing boss levels, classes, CaS, & TDM or 1v1's. With no fuckin fee to play online.

Soul Calibur: The most I get out of this game are horizontals and verticals, but if it were my game horizontals and verticals won't be performed by a button that represents each. Moreover, like SF it will be based on execution.
In addition, I want to add that the biggest improvement for its time was 8 way run system. It is an aspect that makes this more of a 3D fighter though there are others that felt 2Dish. Things like crouching, and jumping you can only move back and forth; it's not a complaint as I respect the style that Daishi had intended it but the point is the 8 way run system gave rise for other aspects to utilize such as crouching and jumping as I've mentioned.

SCV is great, but it lacks quantity in game play. All there is to do is either spend your time in CaS or play online. Legendary Souls was fun, but the fact that it keeps using the same characters made it boring over time & eventually make it too easy, then it's just another arcade mode that's just as easy. There's no more COTS, Team Battle, Survival Mode, Special Battle, or Tower of Lost Souls. Fighting AI's is no fun at all either, because there not smart, nor sporting. At least in IV you could make them stronger then you by health to make it more challenging. AI's in Broken Destiny were the strongest I'd say. As for the speed of gameplay, I can't really judge that because I'm the slowest of them all. I felt like the speed of gameplay was faster in IV though.

Shooting games last longer then that, because theres more to it then just shooting your opponent. Guns, game modes, classes, & abilities. Adventure games can last longer because of how long the story is, & you can redo it with a different character the next time for a whole new experience. Especially if the adventure is different for choosing a different character. Fighting, not so much in SCV's case, because like I said, all there is, is just CaS or pvp. Especially if you managed to lose, you gotta wait for like 15 minutes just to play again. I miss COTS. Another thing you gotta live with is the retards online that bitch & complain whenever you defeat them. Say I'm bad when I'm 30 & 0. Say I spam when they aren't smart enough to avoid it. Say I grab too much when I'm meant to. So on & on. One of the fighting games that I'm still playing that's lasting a whole lot longer then SC right now is Dissidia. & it's older then SCV. I still haven't beaten all the gateways nor unlocked legendary gear. Another fighting game that would have lasted longer if there weren't too many cheaters is DBZ Raging Blast 2. The only thing that makes SCV so unique to me is just CaS, really.

When I first saw CAS in SC3, I had high expectations on how they are going to improve on their next CAS model for every upcoming title, but for every iteration they made minor improvements not reaching close to the bar for what I expect.

When I first saw CAS in SC3, I had high expectations on how they are going to improve on their next CAS model for every upcoming title, but for every iteration they made minor improvements not reaching close to the bar for what I expect.
Lol, what were you expecting? Imo, it lasts longer then the actual game. It bothers me to not know why it does. Maybe because I never had a purpose to why I fight. Just doing so because that's all there was. Maybe I might go back again to find out why.

1 Frames

They already fucked that up in SCIV to begin with thanks to one pointless mechanic. *cough* Stripping. stick with regulars, or do what I do best.

Lol, what were you expecting? Imo, it lasts longer then the actual game. It bothers me to not know why it does. Maybe because I never had a purpose to why I fight. Just doing so because that's all there was. Maybe I might go back again to find out why.
To me, I don't see the point of playing CAS since they just copy the move sets of regular characters so I do what Darkon360x suggests, stick with the regulars because to me CAS is just a thick coat of paint and a big waste of my time. Why waste time making a CAS that copies the move sets of the original when you could stick with regulars? This is what I see mainly from CAS.

I expect more because we're playing on powerful consoles; this ain't some small little pocket device where there are severe technical limitations and I expect even more for PS4 and Xbox One.

What I expect for a fighting game for CAS is an effort to make their fighting styles more unique not just on their looks and I don't expect it to be completely unique since you can't really create your own unique move sets.

Also I already made a wish list; this isn't really an expectation. I'm pretty sure the character designers in Namco use their own proprietary character development tool coded by Namco's own programmers to create regular SC characters; if they can somehow put that in the game we have an even more powerful tool to create a soul. This already happened in games like Dark Souls 2 and Skyrim though the customization can be improved and made easier.

They did have those great weapons in SCIII that can be used by CaS only. I loved the Claymore move set from the CaS side. I do see some sense in what you say, but I don't think PS is going to make CaS weapons only for CaS anymore. It would be nice if they did. The reason why I make CaS characters is because I was given the option to either like or not like the original character. Varying the range, power, & appearance.

I also went to revisit SCV again, I can tell I still want to play, but I don't have much of a reason to motivate me to keep playing. Usually my reason is to strive to be the best, but I can't do that with all the noobs online. No one in 8wr wants to play either. Maybe if I keep playing I'll find it, or it'll find me.

Sadly SC3 CAS was the closest out of the later iterations to reach my expectations, but still far from it.

Bringing back to what the topic is about. Custom character creation brings rise to expand the customization aspect to other fields; instead of just making your character look different, bring different fighting styles that suits the player's play style.

Aside from that what's interesting about Virtua Fighter is that they categorize their characters in different weight classes and each class is going to have a different impact on other classes.

I have discovered why I like fighting games, even though they particularly don't like me.

I like fighting games because the amount of time you can spend playing them. The drill usually goes like this...

1. Try all the characters and find one/some you like.
2. Practice with the chosen character(s).
3. Fight and learn how the game works.
4. Get decent and fight competitively.
5. Take your skill to the tournaments and fight to be the best.

Over this process, you spend at least a year if not more. That is well worth the money.

Choosing a game is the hardest part, but I found out how to find out which games have the most depth and which ones do not have any depth at all.

The simple rule is, watch the tournament footage. If the players are just spamming fireballs or one or two moves, then the game probably doesn't have much depth to it. When you see players doing impossible feats and huge combos, those games have more depth to them.

I have seen a lot of games fought in tournaments, but the games that had impressive depth to them were Super Smash Bros, Soul Calibur and Tekken. It's a safe assumption to say that they will remain this way for a while.

What about Mortal Kombat, the combo's I've seen in that game were pretty cool. Raging Blast 2 is another good one.
I like both of those games. I'm currently playing Mortal Kombat and I'm rather new to it.

Mortal Kombat:
Reviewing the tournament gameplay, you can clearly see that there are combos in the game, but most of it is just a zoning game using low and high projectiles. Regardless, the game is a lot of fun and is very satisfying turning your opponent into a baby or tearing them apart with a fatality. I would still say however that SCV and Tekken have more depth because of their lack of projectiles and 3d movement.

Raging Blast 1/2:
I have played these games and they are loaded with depth. I did not look at the tournament level play because I didn't think about it. But based on what I know, I would assume that they have a lot of depth to them as well.

One game in particular that I felt had almost no depth based on tournament play was Street Fighter. If you don't believe me, check out EVO 2013 Street Fighter Grand Finals. It boiled down to a fireball game.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle:

This is basically CC2's Street Fighter 1 (well, 1.8 after patching), but it does a lot cool things and is one of my favorite games to both play and watch now.

Some things I like about this game are:

1. The flash cancel/putsun system. Kind of like a Roman Cancel, you use one meter to instantly recover after almost any move. Costs 1/3 bars of meter. This is usually used to extend combos, but what I think is really cool is that you can use this to make moves safe and recover from a big whiff. People have been using this to set up frame traps and parry traps as well. This makes for some cool mind-games and makes it so you have to manage meter well instead of blowing it all on big combos.

2. I like how the basic mechanics of the game allow the player to overcome any character's shortcomings, resulting in a surprisingly balanced game. Stuff like flash cancel, side-step and stylish dodge(parry) allow players a chance to handle anything, while keeping all the characters distinct from each other. Despite some characters being a little stronger than others, it's mostly a level playing field.

3. Taunt combos. When you combo someone and get a hard knockdown, you can use a projectile then cancel into a cinematic taunt. The cut-scene stands the opponent up into the projectile, getting enough hit-stun to allow you to continue the combo. It makes for some unique and flashy combos. They limited this to once a round, though.

4. Diavolo. I think if there's one thing CC2 did with this game that is memorable, it's that they created a counter-based character that is in the top tears (correct me if there's another character like this). He's so incredibly solid in a way that's both unique and fair. I can go further in describing him later, if you want.

Tekken: The move lists are maybe a bit too big, but one thing I like about this is that every player is allowed to develop their own way of playing a character. I mean, there's definitely a main strategy and top moves for each character, but every player puts a bit of their own spin on it.

^I've only skimmed your post, by far this is the kind of post I expect from responding users.

Don't worry FreeMeal, on my spare time I will definitely take a deeper look at the points you make.

Mortal Kombat:
Reviewing the tournament gameplay, you can clearly see that there are combos in the game, but most of it is just a zoning game using low and high projectiles. Regardless, the game is a lot of fun and is very satisfying turning your opponent into a baby or tearing them apart with a fatality. I would still say however that SCV and Tekken have more depth because of their lack of projectiles and 3d movement.

Raging Blast 1/2:
I have played these games and they are loaded with depth. I did not look at the tournament level play because I didn't think about it. But based on what I know, I would assume that they have a lot of depth to them as well.
For MK, I only played it long enough to a point where I was at the beginning of getting really good at using Shang Tsung & effectively using his fire balls to combo. I would have kept going, but other games kept me busy & eventually put me to a stop.

As for RB2, I played the shit out of that game. I played it so much, I was capable of doing 50 hit combo's or more, using the Ultimate Special as a finisher. I mained Super Saiyan 3 Broly & had LSS Broly as my secondary. I was both, hardest & cheapest.

Back