What is the instrument?

Wandrian

I don't know.
Didn't really seem like it belonged in any other thread...Anyhoozle, just today I noticed this very peculiar instrument in this song:

It's this whailing, almost siren-like sound that is especially noticeable at right about 2:33 and even more so when the vocals cease. It's more in the background, less prominent than the other instruments and especially difficult to notice during the vocals.

Any ideas what it is? It just sounds completely new to me and my curiosity is biting at me to know.

Is it the same one as in this?
Starts at 1:52. I'm not sure what it is. It could be oboe, bassoon, flute, or some other instrument. It might even not be a woodwind. There are a lot of obscure instruments that are rarely used. Hell, it could even be a tuning fork. Whatever it is, it's hard to tell from just the one note you hear of it in the song you posted, unless you're mentioning something completely different and I'm just confused.

Whatever it is, it's a beautiful instrument when composed for properly.

I think I hear it in the background of that track as well. Thanks.

Shucks, so much for figuring out what it is. But at least I was given a reminder that the music department at Bethesda can do some very lovely music. *coughcoughinfinitelybetterthanthoseoverpaidbumsintheQAdepartmentcough*

The one in the Skyrim track I posted I'm 99% certain is an oboe, if that helps. If not, maybe a member of the oboe family such as the heckelphone, bass oboe, cor anglais, oboe d'amore, or piccolo oboe.

Back