Whiffing and You: The Guide to Missing the Point

What are attacks called that cause whiffs?
IF THE ATTACK CAN CROUCH HIGHS, IT HAS TECH CROUCH PROPERTIES.

IF THE ATTACK CAN JUMP LOWS, IT HAS TECH JUMP PROPERTIES.

IF THE ATTACK CAN SIDESTEP VERTICALS, IT HAS TECH STEP PROPERTIES.

FOR OTHERS, YOU CAN DESCRIBE IT AS IS. FOR EXAMPLE, BACK STEP, TELEPORT, ETC.

KEEP IN MIND, NOT ALL TECH PROPERTIES ARE EQUAL. SOME ONLY EVADE FOR A SHORT WINDOW OF TIME, WHEREAS OTHERS CAN LAST ALMOST THE ENTIRE MOVE.

IF THE ATTACK CAN CROUCH HIGHS, IT HAS TECH CROUCH PROPERTIES.

IF THE ATTACK CAN JUMP LOWS, IT HAS TECH JUMP PROPERTIES.

IF THE ATTACK CAN SIDESTEP VERTICALS, IT HAS TECH STEP PROPERTIES.

FOR OTHERS, YOU CAN DESCRIBE IT AS IS. FOR EXAMPLE, BACK STEP, TELEPORT, ETC.

KEEP IN MIND, NOT ALL TECH PROPERTIES ARE EQUAL. SOME ONLY EVADE FOR A SHORT WINDOW OF TIME, WHEREAS OTHERS CAN LAST ALMOST THE ENTIRE MOVE.
Thanks for the response. So, if we were to assign a hierarchy for which reactions are best as far as being able to retaliate it would go from Tech to Whiff to JG then Guard am I correct?

Sorry, I've always gone on instinct so when it comes to the technical stuff I'm at noob level.

Using "tech" properties works more like a shield that protects your character at disadvantage or "randomly" during the match (this is what I use it for).

When used properly, yes, "tech" attacks do offer instantaneous retaliation. However, if you have a choice, if you know what the opponent's next move is and you can make it whiff, using a tech crouch/step/jump/etc. is not necessarily the best option just because these attacks don't always do the highest damage.

These attacks usually have drawbacks. Some of them are unsafe, some of them are slow, some of them are high. Etc., etc. They have their place, but you don't want to spam them.

When you are using JG, you don't have a lot of time to react to a successful JG, but if you are placing your JG attempts correctly you will not have to "react", you can just JG and then attack. If you are using JG in the open and not as a string counter, instead of confirming the move that was just JGd and using maximum punishment, it's easier to just attack with a BB or something like that, so you don't have to sit there thinking about your options and lose your opportunity.

Thinking about your options before you enter the field of battle actually helps your instinct. You can make good decisions faster because you've thought about them before you've started fighting.

Back