Will Broken Destiny get a console version?

Will part of Broken Destiny come to PS3/Xbox360?

• I hope so, and I think so.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • I hope so, but I have no idea.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • I hope so, but probably not.

Votes: 46 33.1%
  • I hope not.

Votes: 14 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PhilBond

[09] Warrior
The case to believe in a console version:
#1: Namco has been successful with variations of this business model with their last two Tekken games, and SCIV is their first Soul Calibur game under that era.

#2: If Broken Destiny is at all successful, they'll be able to get more money out of us by selling it to us twice.

The case to believe it will come in the form of an add-on to the disc we already have:
#1: The way SCIV stages are titled has always suggested the existence of alternate versions. I predicted this almost a year ago.

#2: The description of "Customization Equipment 1" teased the existence of other retro items. None have appeared yet. Numerous customization items in SCIV were carried over from SCIII, indicating that it's easier for them to translate SC3 items than it is to create new ones, but many items did not make the transition, including several that would have qualified as these retro items.

#3: We have yet to see any variation whatsoever on the primary costumes. The more similar Broken Destiny is to SCIV, the easier it would be to translate all mechanical content into an add-on for consoles.

The case to think it will stay on PSP forever:
#1: Bawww, Namco hates me and everyone like me.

#2: Nothing good ever happens in my life. Bawww.

The question, you precocious little scamp, is whether any new content that debuts with the PSP game, such as Dampierre, will make its way back to a console version.

I predict DLC. Game comes out...few months later PSN/LIVE DLC with new characters, clothes, and much needed rebalances/whiffing issues.

I think that's the most realistic scenario. I wish a console patch would come out simultaneously for free, but I know it's more realistic that they'll charge a pretty penny for it, and they'll hold back on it for a couple months so that cheapskate customers can afford both more easily. I don't think the console version will even be announced until a month or two after the PSP release.

It was already hinted at in an interview.

I remember when the first hints at "saber wielding guest characters" came out.. people had doubts, many thinking that it was gonna be Jack Sparrow. Then the hints of Vader and Yoda becoming DLC on the opposing console happened. People doubted that too.

It shouldn't be too hard for them to release SC:BD as an add-on for SCIV, which would rebalance the game, revamp the character select screen to include more characters, add CaS parts, more stages and music, and even add more achievements. Maybe even rework the net code.. who knows.

I'm pretty optimistic about SC:BD. Here's hoping for the return of Hwang and Li Long (and maybe Olcadan?).

Also I think the guest character for the PSP version will be a Tekken character to promote Tekken 6...

I think my only real fear would be how long till DLC. Naturally it wont be immediate since they want to milk the profits of the new game while it's new. DLC would make sense when hype is declining and you want to keep it aloft. My marketing instincts predict:

New game
2 weeks later 1.04 balance patch for SC4 (delayed as to not derail sales too soon of PSP game by reigniting an older software).
2-3 months later DLC for SC4.

I personally think the evidence for an add-on is overwhelming and undeniable. I started this poll so I could throw the results in the face of my underwhelmed, denying friend Outlaw. I'm bored with pessimism.

The more I consider that idea, the likelier I think it is. A simultaneously release of that character to consoles would also promote T6. Heihachi again? Devil Jin? DJ would be in good company on console alongside Nightmare and Vader. Of course, he'd be banned for having projectiles. </crazy theorizing><fact based theorizing>

Almost certainly, it'll be fairly easy money for Namco. The "new" stages so far look to be just lighting edits and texture swaps, which are easy to do. If there aren't any geometry/gameplay changes on the different time of day stages, it would be easy enough to have people that don't have the DLC to see the regular on-disk version instead. Any balance changes, should be simple to port over as a patch.

I really hope so, and i do think it will come out as DLC. Namco likes money... what corporation doesn't? I just say if Tekken can do it, so can SC.

Re: my post from August: That's really bugging me again, now that I've reminded myself of it. In this interview, the interviewee mentions that Broken Destiny went into development shortly after SCIV came out. I wonder whether greenlight day for the PSP game was also the day they decided to hold out on some of the SCIV DLC, so they could later use it in cross-promotion to manufacture a greater appearance of synergy. I'm going to put on my tinfoil hat now and say that when new level variants become downloadable, they'll be sold-seperately same-sized unlock keys just like the equipment packs, because they were there all along. Where are the hackers who pitted Vader against Yoda on YouTube before they were cross-released? I need those guys right now.

I doubt they will bring the changes to the console version. I could sit here and be wishfully optimistic and hope that they do something, but what we should do is make an organized petition to NB/Project Soul so that they either bring the changes in BD to the console or that they do something by way of a patch or DLC or at least say that they have something in the works at least. I'm just looking for a sliver of something that tells me that NB hasn't abandoned the console version for other things which I think they are doing. Why not just make the changes to the console version that you sold 2+ million copies of then push it out to the PSP that you may not sell that many copies of instead of doing it ass backwards?

I don't know if anything like that has been done before since I'm still new to the SC community, but at least it's something.

They WILL release Broken Destiny on Console... they have no reason not to, its more money for them. However, it WON'T be add-on content, they will release it as it's own disc, or a $30 download bundle like they did with T5DR.

I think that it's very likely that Namco will eventually release BD as a stand-alone expansion download on Live and PSN 3-5 months after the PSP release. They've already been down this path with Tekken 5:DR, and I think that whole thing worked out pretty well for them.

No, if there's anything to be pessimistic about, it's Namco plotting to destroy your favorite mid-low tier character in the new version... like what SC3:AE did to Nightmare, for example. I'm going to predict some heavy-handed Rock nerfs this time around.

Why not just make the changes to the console version that you sold 2+ million copies of then push it out to the PSP that you may not sell that many copies of instead of doing it ass backwards?

Because if they put such content out on consoles first, then everyone will buy it and be done with it. If they put out the less popular PSP version first, with no DLC in sight, then they give people an incentive to buy the PSP version.

I'm just looking for a sliver of something that tells me that NB hasn't abandoned the console version.

Here's your sliver. It comes from 1up.com's interview with Noriyuki Hiyama:
1UP: Will Dampierre be available as Soul Calibur 4 DLC on Xbox Live and PSN?

NH: If we receive feedback from the fans and media about the idea, then -- hopefully Broken Destiny's developers will try and do something about it.

I think its really up in the air whether or not Bamco decides to modify SC4 after the release of this game. Here's hoping they do though.

I also like the idea of another Tekken character as a guest. Jin would be the obvious choice I think.

So after reading that interview, I'm more optimistic about this. They really need to bring this out for the console, so here's to hoping that they do.

i don't know.. we haven't even seen the character (how he plays) if there will be a bunch of other "new" characters or reallym uch of anything about this PSP version of the game. And I don't know.. but if JAxel is right... I don't know if 30 dollars is a good use of money for what will equate to one or two extra characters, some palate swap stages, and what... a new mode (that should have been there in the firs place). If they threw it together for 10 dollars I'd do it... 15 is really pushing it even for stuff that should have been in a game already that is now months old. I mean... 15 dollars can buy you a completely different game used that you could throw in a lot more hours than a quick story mode or something and a new character.

I'm more hopeful for a 1.04 than a downloadable add-on but honestly.. i just don't know. MAybe it won't come out.. or maybe it will be the greatest add-on to a game ever (I mean look what BR did to tekken 6...HUUUGE improvements.. so happy thats the version ported to xbox360). Here is to hope though I guess that stuff works outwell.

They WILL release Broken Destiny on Console... they have no reason not to, its more money for them. However, it WON'T be add-on content, they will release it as it's own disc, or a $30 download bundle like they did with T5DR.

When Dark Resurrection hit PS3, it was not just a rebalance with new characters, tweaked stages, new moves and new items. It was a high-resolution, *online* version of a game that was not previously available on that console. (Maybe your PS3 can play PS2 games. Most can't.) The same approach won't work here.

At the very least I expect that the console version will be patched using BD, but I feel relatively certain they'll release BD as DLC.

Back