Windcharmer, Airsault and Windleap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclair

[10] Knight
So, here we have her three stances.

What's the best way to mix things around with these?

Windcharmer is a shadow of its former self in SC2 but can still dodge verticals. The problem with the stance after moves like AA6BA is that WC can easily be punished by many characters. Some of the times you can punish them with a WC K but a lot of the times WC AA and BB (or B*B) will be punished. How important is WC in your game?

We all know WL A is a great low that can set up our staple combo, but after a while the opponent will catch on. It seems WL B never hits the target because it will never reach. Same applies with WL K. So what is the best way to utilize this stance once your opponent learns to block WL A instinctively?

Airsault is our move to get in close and i'm quite happy with it. I've been using AS A and mixing it up with AS B+K and A+B. Disregarding being used in a combo, AS B (or B*K) just doesn't seem to work as often as the others. The main way i get damage of AS B is when i'm end up in BT behind them and do BT K.

Keep in mind i'm playing with my brother and he's played against my Talim since SC2 so he has a pretty complete idea of all of her moves.

Any thoughts?

I don't have the game in front of me right now, but from my experience here are my thoughts on the topics raised:

Windcharmer (sidespin):

It can sometimes dodge an attack during an opponent's attack string that a normal sidestep can't avoid. However it can't recover and defend as fast as a simple 8_2~G, so they each have their uses.

If your initial WC attack is being interrupted, then figure out what you are doing to enter WC that gets you snuffed and see if you can mix it up. For instance, you mention AA6BA~2_8 WC as an example of being stopped. If you instead switch to ~4 WL mixups or even ~6 AS A+K (hop over them and mule kick), you may avoid the attack that normally interrupts your WC moves. Doing that will also free up WC to work sometimes if they have to try to stop your other options with other attacks. Oh, and keep in mind that WC K tech crouches to avoid highs as you mix it up.

I like Wind Charmer.... one thing that ties it together well are the Tagga throws. Not are they tough to escape (small window and an A_B mixup), but they do some nice damage as well as give you frame advantage. I don't believe the BT B is interruptable, but unfortunately, unlike other characters here BT 2K only KDs on counter. To make it more dangerous for them to stand-block I sometimes choose G~236B+G_A+G as an alternate to hitting mid... I'm even liking G~<mid attack> as a safer option than BT B at times.

Air Sault (forward jump)

You need to mix up your low AS A with the mid AS B+K. It delivers a nice combo (AS B+K~6 AS A+B 2A+B) and leads to oki. Sometimes you need to pull back on your AS for the combo to work (especially on lil' Talim and Amy), so it is best used as AS B+K~6~4 AS A+B 2A+B.

I sometimes use AS A+B (swirly triple somersaults) as a mid attack over AS B+K because it seems to be her fastest attack from AS when I think someone will try to attack her in the air. AS A is her best tracking move from Air Sault, so that's something to keep in mind. I rarely use AS B outside of combos, but when I do I ALWAYS finish with the just frame mid kick (AS B:K) to be safe.

Wind Leap (leap backwards)
I'm not sure I understand each of the moves you listed (WL B+K? WL B*K?). She can only do...

WL A: the awesome low stun with range (best new SC4 Talim move IMHO)
WL B: the quick (but high) flying KD punch
WL K: the mid-range double kick that hits mid
WL A+B: the unblockable that pulls back first and can be canceled into Air Sault with ~G
WL 5: after she leaps back she will auto Air Sault

For me, the unblockable only hits good players who are trying to attack her WL and whiff. It gets easily sidestepped/siderolled otherwise (even with their back to the wall). Other than that, I use the obvious mixups that most people use from this. WL B however is the choice if you are facing an attacking foe that will interrupt WL A_K before it comes out (i.e. vs an attack string).

Good stuff shauno. I find WC pretty essential to her now. It's where she gets the bulk of her best mixups. And all of them on hit set you up pretty well for other options. It's definitely something you should be using considering they nerfed a couple of her best options closeup from SC3:AE, like 6B having minor blockstun and stun on CH.

WC AA is a decently fast interrupter. Goes back into WC.
WC B:B punishes people who try to crouch the A or throw.
WC K to go under quick AAs. Or for ringout.
WC throw for people who block. Sets you up nicely for her BT game. And has good damage to boot.
WC A+K to hop over 2As or 2Ks. Or if you just want a safe low.

AS is mainly for closing distance. AS A is a great move but bad on block. Mix it up with AS B+K and AS A+B. Even though it feels like it might have lost a bit of priority, AS A+B is still important to stop people from trying anything at range. AS K is pretty safe and leads to good damage/wakes. Even if it whiffs, you will fall to the ground and can block. AS B:K... it's safe and has good damage I guess. Plus it seems to hit people for no explainable reason. Throw it out there every once in a while I guess.

WL A is as shauno said, the single best addition to her gameplay. It's a tech crouch low with good range/speed/damage and best of all it's safe. Many times I can just whore this move and win against lesser players. Mix up every now and then with WL K, which is oddly enough... unsafe. Lol. And then WL B when they start trying to interrupt. Previously in SC3, I'd just have to hope that if I made someone whiff with 4B+K whatever they did had slow enough recovery for me to WL K/B it. However, now you can perform mixups out of it. It's awesome.

Thanks for that, i keep on getting AS and WL confused so yea, switch those around :P

I've edited my first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back