A tale of souls and swords, eternally retold...

First...? Sad events? .... do you mean Trump? ...... he is Terrible!

Slender dragon, this guy? http://chobek.deviantart.com/art/red-604490337
Thanks, I want to try another one soon.... (FYI on DA Chobek is just me Bek...)
I don't draw dragons often but I like to play around :)

I will definitely look at your SC stuff..... it has been awhile for me.... I'm surprised that you don't have any pics of your SC creations on DA... :)

This board is more active that I expected, it's nice to see :)

I tried half heartedly to make a Cobra on SC... it looked ok but lacked his character. I bet a Lady would turn out ok.

LOL that,s not a challenge ;)

Other than that things are good here ...... hope things are good for you too!
It is weird seeing my old skull face icon.... it is so familiar, but distant too. :)
Say hi to anyone that would remember us :)
I will be back to look around though :) even if I don't really have new creations....
:)

haha Trump, good one, let us build walls, big, huge walls, and all of the world's misery will disappear, yeah right :)
No i didn't mean that, but nevermind...

I just posted a review (in "long" note form) of your DA gallery.
Yep, it was red, but then i saw Fidra and Figi, OMG, such incredible chtuluesque designs, I LOVE THEM ! Ever considered opening an art gallery :)

Feel free to comment on anything you like (CAS or DA wise), there have been a few good new artists as well...i never posted SC creations on DA because i think it is not the right place, but maybe i am wrong...at least i linked to my youtube channel in the gallery welcome post.
For those who don't know Deviant Art, here are both our galleries :
not for the faint of heart :
http://chobek.deviantart.com/
if you get dizzy or experience hallucination due to bek's art, here is one with less complicated lineart :P ...
http://vilarcane.deviantart.com/

Cobra CAS, hey why not, should be doable even with the 3 ExEq slots, yeah...dat f.... weaponized arm though, one slot being for the cigar :)
The closest one i did wase Space Cap Harlock (Albator in french), maybe you were still around at that time, but i repost to see the "struggle with limitations" it was to get all the right elements in place for this seemingly impossible RCAS...
528977Har.jpg

Last edited:
...... damn it......
I'm going to end up putting the game back in aren't I.....

....but I broke away...

Nothing could please me more than seeing what you could have lurking inside that weirdly creative head of yours :)

Learning the ropes of using my Wacom pen tablet, little by little i improve my blending skillz :)

Made a vid as well on this one, took my 5 hours to just paint...part of the pencil sketch in timelapse you can watch in an older video too...

I am toying with the idea of doing a Pierrot based drawing with my tablet, i got plenty of ideas, then i figured it could make a good CAS, so why not make a concept-CAS of it before starting the actual drawing process.
Give that one a review-shot and answer the quizz correctly, and who knows, i might post the actual drawing in a day or two :)

Pierrot is an european character (name is french) so i hope you know of him at least a little. A sad and sometimes "androgyne" (both male and female) looking character, full of melancholy, and associated in my mind with the moon and black/white fluffy attires...

Also, Pierrot (gourmand = greedy) is a french brand of lollipops i used to buy and enjoy as a kid, hence the ExEq artifact :)

Enjoy !

Quizz :
1/what tricks did i use to do such a sad face ?
2/how did i do the lollipop ?
3/how did i do the tear drops ?
4/notice some difference between the pictures (i did edit the CAS inbetween the pictures)

Last edited:
Done with the drawing...now waiting for reviews and quizz participants, if anyone is up to it that is, no pressure :)

@VILARCANE: The leopard-monkey's children are hiding in the bottom left. I really like the interplay of light and shadow for that picture. Awesome Pierrot too. The simple black/white color scheme works great. Love the whole sad face thing too. I've never seen the scar sticker used for eyebrows like that. Now I really wanna make some sad characters too. I also like how her left eye merges with the crescent moon face. Very clever use of the halo SpecEq for the single tear. The lollipop is made of an arrow and....I don't know. Is that an apple? Or is that a sphere? I'm gonna guess it's a sphere because it doesn't have a pattern, and you would normally use some kind of fancy swirly pattern on a lollipop if you were able to. I see you added a striped belt too. Good idea, since it covers up the top of the pants. I gotta say, I really love these quizzes/challenges.

@chobek: Hey there! Glad to see you two stop by again. I've actually been stealing ideas from your thread left and right. Like the lace effect from your burlesque girls, your crazy robots, and your Hindu deity creations too. Take a glance at my thread sometime. Or get off your ass(es) and make some new CaS. Warmest regards.

Haha i hoped you'd be first to review, mate ! Really enjoy reading you...thanks for the feedback on the Marsupilami...you didn't try to figure out the meaning of Marsupluielanuit though, that was kind of a quizz question too (should have put it in orange for your tired eyes :)

About your review, i think you captured most of the things : the main art direction was sad and black and white, so i had to figure out out to make sad faces and after experimenting with kanji, i thought hey, why not try with "no eyebrows" and enlarged crescent scars, for brows and mouth corners, and voilà ! the face preset is important too, making it a boyish girl somehow with the absence of hair.

About the crescent moon bumpmap, the idea there was to have another soul in the soul, the moon is part of the character, Pierrot la Lune is another character so moon is part of the lore, and if you look at the moon, it just stares back at you like a character of its own, Gilliamesque of sorts...
I thought you'd comment the thumbnail too, because i had to time it perfectly to get pierrot and the moon's eyes closed at the same time :) for an even more melancholic, sad thumbnail...just giving up on this mad world
Yes, the halo was used for the tears, quite a PITA to size and position correctly, took me 5 minutes to figure it out i guess, even with my level of practice.

About the lolli, well, it is an apple not a sphere (you of all people should know a sphere cannot get that small my dear !), and LOL-lipop, you are right, i actually did use the swirly pattern at first, but it would have sticked too much out vs. plain color scheme, AND the pierrot gourmand real lollipops are one-colored, so i went for something basic instead...i could have used the heart to to mimic the fir-shaped lollipops which are trademark of Pierrot Gourmand, but it is just a gimmick and it works really good in-game like that.

You noticed the difference, yes the belt to hide the "by axis" stickers wrapped around the leg...

so i'd say, 9/10, you deserve a look at what i did yesterday with my pen tablet...

The making-of video (slightly edited) :

By the way, if you guys from the forum wanna subscribe to my channel if you have a youtube account, feel free to support my awesome video editing skillz (i have a whopping 30 subs already and counting, wow hoho :P)

Last edited:
@VILARCANE: The leopard-monkey's children are hiding in the bottom left. I really like the interplay of light and shadow for that picture. Awesome Pierrot too. The simple black/white color scheme works great. Love the whole sad face thing too. I've never seen the scar sticker used for eyebrows like that. Now I really wanna make some sad characters too. I also like how her left eye merges with the crescent moon face. Very clever use of the halo SpecEq for the single tear. The lollipop is made of an arrow and....I don't know. Is that an apple? Or is that a sphere? I'm gonna guess it's a sphere because it doesn't have a pattern, and you would normally use some kind of fancy swirly pattern on a lollipop if you were able to. I see you added a striped belt too. Good idea, since it covers up the top of the pants. I gotta say, I really love these quizzes/challenges.

@chobek: Hey there! Glad to see you two stop by again. I've actually been stealing ideas from your thread left and right. Like the lace effect from your burlesque girls, your crazy robots, and your Hindu deity creations too. Take a glance at my thread sometime. Or get off your ass(es) and make some new CaS. Warmest regards.
LOL what he said on the quiz....

I will check it out! I am glad our old thread can be of use... I had trouble finding it the other day, :) couldn't remember what I called it .... I remembered that I was annoyed because of the awkwardly phrased title.... but I couldn't remember what that title was.....
I think we have some stuff that we didn't post.... it seems like the only time we make a CAS now is after watching a movie or history special.... I know Joe made a bunch of cowboys after a one weekend western film fest.
CUrrently we are wrapping up a long documentary on the civil war.... mentally I am already figuring out the kepi.
Glad to see that SCV creations are still being made and stay alive.... even if the group is kinda small :)
I look forward to a new game!
Joe made a bunch of people on some wrestling game..... and they were nice .... but It just wasn't SC....... they lacked something :)

Vil- on the drawing....the making of video is cool.... I am always interested in digital artists.... I can't seem to jump into it myself (except on SC I suppose) ,but I think you are doing some great stuff . .......With my sensibilities I tend to like your inked sketches more that the final color work.... but I think that is just me.... I tend to crave line work.... and some of that gets obscured by color.......... or at least it is more difficult for me to focus on. I'm weird though. ... I think one of my favorite elements of the piece is the subtle mirroring of gesture and form on the top three figures.... it binds them together for me..... as if they as are different aspects of one transforming character.... or they share a common goal, and that would be the female on the bottom.... this feeling is reinforced for me by the way they all seem to funnel (compositionally) into her head..... hmmm maybe they are a product of her dreams. :) Anyway, nice!

I don't know if this interests you but on DA sometimes I play around with collaborations .... one person Posts an incomplete piece then others finish it ..... it's fun in a weird way, and you get to see how different minds approach a challenge... well long story short I posted the first half of a colab today... you are invited to take a crack at it if it seems enjoyable to you.

http://chobek.deviantart.com/art/Open-collaboration-661400264

It might be a fun playground on your tablet....(if you decide to try) there are no rules so destroy ,manipulate .... and explore!
I can send you a link to completed colabs if you need a better example of what I mean....

LOL what he said on the quiz....

I will check it out! I am glad our old thread can be of use... I had trouble finding it the other day, :) couldn't remember what I called it .... I remembered that I was annoyed because of the awkwardly phrased title.... but I couldn't remember what that title was.....
I think we have some stuff that we didn't post.... it seems like the only time we make a CAS now is after watching a movie or history special.... I know Joe made a bunch of cowboys after a one weekend western film fest.
CUrrently we are wrapping up a long documentary on the civil war.... mentally I am already figuring out the kepi.
Glad to see that SCV creations are still being made and stay alive.... even if the group is kinda small :)
I look forward to a new game!
Joe made a bunch of people on some wrestling game..... and they were nice .... but It just wasn't SC....... they lacked something :)

Vil- on the drawing....the making of video is cool.... I am always interested in digital artists.... I can't seem to jump into it myself (except on SC I suppose) ,but I think you are doing some great stuff . .......With my sensibilities I tend to like your inked sketches more that the final color work.... but I think that is just me.... I tend to crave line work.... and some of that gets obscured by color.......... or at least it is more difficult for me to focus on. I'm weird though. ... I think one of my favorite elements of the piece is the subtle mirroring of gesture and form on the top three figures.... it binds them together for me..... as if they as are different aspects of one transforming character.... or they share a common goal, and that would be the female on the bottom.... this feeling is reinforced for me by the way they all seem to funnel (compositionally) into her head..... hmmm maybe they are a product of her dreams. :) Anyway, nice!

I don't know if this interests you but on DA sometimes I play around with collaborations .... one person Posts an incomplete piece then others finish it ..... it's fun in a weird way, and you get to see how different minds approach a challenge... well long story short I posted the first half of a colab today... you are invited to take a crack at it if it seems enjoyable to you.

http://chobek.deviantart.com/art/Open-collaboration-661400264

It might be a fun playground on your tablet....(if you decide to try) there are no rules so destroy ,manipulate .... and explore!
I can send you a link to completed colabs if you need a better example of what I mean....

Hey thx for the comments on e-vil-dead drwg n vid...nice that you noticed subtle details in the compo too. About collab your half is cool but it didn't create a mental image of what i could do with it so yes i'd like to see examples and yes the idea appeals 2 me really much indeed ...Short reply cuz typing on ps4

Hey thx for the comments on e-vil-dead drwg n vid...nice that you noticed subtle details in the compo too. About collab your half is cool but it didn't create a mental image of what i could do with it so yes i'd like to see examples and yes the idea appeals 2 me really much indeed ...Short reply cuz typing on ps4
Well here is a collaboration that was started by Vulture .... if you look in through the responses there are links from other artists who built their own creations from the base.
http://offermoord.deviantart.com/art/--639484354

Here is a link to how I completed it....

http://chobek.deviantart.com/art/Beholder-640016083

With my collaboration...or with Vulture's
The first half is just a base to use any way you like... as a background...as a coloring book ..... bits and pieces of it....
If you are working digitally you can alter or merge it with one of your own drawings.
It's just for fun so there really are no rules.

Hope this helps

Ok, i see what you mean now...i'll think about your half and see if i can come up with a good idea. The idea is great, and i must say, i had a look at a few takes on offemoord's half then at yours, and hum...yours is so much more elaborate and blends so good with the other part it looks like you did the whole piece. Totally floored me ! Again, as written on my DA review, i really love your style because it is dark and chtuluesque / gigeresque...you must have demonic ancestors of some kind :)

Let me bump my pierrot post to this page as well, also because i edited the video to get a closer look at the painting steps...i need to figure out a way to record and timelapse strokes only. Krita has a function but can't get it to work just yet. I would love your comment on this one becaue i did it mostly in black and white thinking about getting closer to your dark and tortured style (still pretty figurative stuff)

Somehow, i feel like digging out the less figurative ink sketches i did (with a lot of lines) when i was a teen, if i can lay my hands on them that is :)

bumpy bump :)

Haha i hoped you'd be first to review, mate ! Really enjoy reading you...thanks for the feedback on the Marsupilami...you didn't try to figure out the meaning of Marsupluielanuit though, that was kind of a quizz question too (should have put it in orange for your tired eyes :)

About your review, i think you captured most of the things : the main art direction was sad and black and white, so i had to figure out out to make sad faces and after experimenting with kanji, i thought hey, why not try with "no eyebrows" and enlarged crescent scars, for brows and mouth corners, and voilà ! the face preset is important too, making it a boyish girl somehow with the absence of hair.

About the crescent moon bumpmap, the idea there was to have another soul in the soul, the moon is part of the character, Pierrot la Lune is another character so moon is part of the lore, and if you look at the moon, it just stares back at you like a character of its own, Gilliamesque of sorts...
I thought you'd comment the thumbnail too, because i had to time it perfectly to get pierrot and the moon's eyes closed at the same time :) for an even more melancholic, sad thumbnail...just giving up on this mad world
Yes, the halo was used for the tears, quite a PITA to size and position correctly, took me 5 minutes to figure it out i guess, even with my level of practice.

About the lolli, well, it is an apple not a sphere (you of all people should know a sphere cannot get that small my dear !), and LOL-lipop, you are right, i actually did use the swirly pattern at first, but it would have sticked too much out vs. plain color scheme, AND the pierrot gourmand real lollipops are one-colored, so i went for something basic instead...i could have used the heart to to mimic the fir-shaped lollipops which are trademark of Pierrot Gourmand, but it is just a gimmick and it works really good in-game like that.

You noticed the difference, yes the belt to hide the "by axis" stickers wrapped around the leg...

so i'd say, 9/10, you deserve a look at what i did yesterday with my pen tablet...

The making-of video (slightly edited) :

By the way, if you guys from the forum wanna subscribe to my channel if you have a youtube account, feel free to support my awesome video editing skillz (i have a whopping 30 subs already and counting, wow hoho :P)

Oh, and i have a quizz hidden in the drawing, here it is :

If i try to translate the wordplay from french it means : "ten me, moon, where do you hide your quarters ?"

wanna play ? :) got a bonus vid at the ready for the winner

Last edited:
Oh, and i have a quizz hidden in the drawing, here it is :

If i try to translate the wordplay from french it means : "ten me, moon, where do you hide your quarters ?"

wanna play ? :) got a bonus vid at the ready for the winner
Ears? Seems like the bits of reflection might be phases of the moon..... the one on the ear looks like it might be the quarter..... not sure...

Ok, i see what you mean now...i'll think about your half and see if i can come up with a good idea. The idea is great, and i must say, i had a look at a few takes on offemoord's half then at yours, and hum...yours is so much more elaborate and blends so good with the other part it looks like you did the whole piece. Totally floored me ! Again, as written on my DA review, i really love your style because it is dark and chtuluesque / gigeresque...you must have demonic ancestors of some kind :)

Let me bump my pierrot post to this page as well, also because i edited the video to get a closer look at the painting steps...i need to figure out a way to record and timelapse strokes only. Krita has a function but can't get it to work just yet. I would love your comment on this one becaue i did it mostly in black and white thinking about getting closer to your dark and tortured style (still pretty figurative stuff)

Somehow, i feel like digging out the less figurative ink sketches i did (with a lot of lines) when i was a teen, if i can lay my hands on them that is :)

Thanks for the compliments on my style.... I feel like I can't really take credit since compulsion drives 90% of it, but thanks:) I need to learn to take a compliment....
I remember it was a huge step for me posting on 8way run .... I think the only thing that allowed me to do it ,was being able to be proud and assertive with some of our creations because Joe had a hand in them as well. I never know how to respond to compliments.... thank you feels arrogant .... ignoring seems rude ..... and if I let my insecurities take over and focus on the negative aspects, and cut my own work down, it reads like I am fishing for positivity with some sort of insincere modesty.....
so 8way run was a nice bridge for me ....... I got a feel for dealing with an internet audience ......

This is far off the topic of SC now but I sense that no longer matters.....

Abstract /non objective vs figurative .... I would be interested in seeing your less representative work, but don't worry .... my personal work isn't necessarily indicative of my taste. I love figurative work .
In fact I find it strange that I have jumped so far into abstraction ....
I still do some figurative work .... http://chobek.deviantart.com/gallery/39096171/figurative
but my humans were a lot more natural when I worked with a model..... so even if some of the pieces work OK , I feel like there is a regression..... and that is what I see first.
But don't worry I still have a keen eye for the human form and can enjoy your figurative work.... :)

.....Although..... I have to tell you I do dislike clowns quite a bit.....

I know that is cliche by now .... but ....
When I see a fake smile painted on a clown I assume it is because his real face has no smile.....
When I see your tearful clown with "Future ? " written below.... I keep thinking it wants to make sure I don't have one and I have been lured in by it's artificial empathy.
It is a very nice drawing ... I like the stark black and white and the dark mood.....
... but I believe that clown might slit my throat with that loli pop shiv it made. :)
As for getting better in process shots not sure .... I am not familiar with the software you mentioned.... but I could ask around I know a couple of DA artists who post videos like yours or specialize in animation.... they might be a better resource .... I could maybe point you toward a FAQ of some kind...
let me know if you want me to ask around .....

"..............................
Here is another collaboration I just finished .... this isn't a shameless self promotion...really....
But I thought you might like another example. :)

http://chobek.deviantart.com/art/Screaming-Machine-661695538

The quizz...alright you got the clue,buuuuut...there are many more than that..."ten me" isn't a typo you see !

oh my, i forgot you hated clowns, i think you told me (or was it Le Bello), and remember i took your clowns and made them my own, and expanded on them to create more clowns...ok, Pierrot is not technically a clown, my original design was without red nose, actually, then i found it would be cool, even if not completely faithful to the original.

Ok, i had a look at your "figurative" gallery, once again i was completely struck silly again, there are some common themes and techniques, but the sheer diversity of compositions and rendering you put on display there is impressive and i really loved it (you got your share of comments for them i saw, and you said "thank you" to most of them, nothing more...lol, just like you said.

What i realize is that apart from that self-portrait of you, there are a lot of slender naked girls (of course you have been slender and young like those beautifully drawn girls)...there is a good amount of squids wrapping their tentacles around them...i can see the underlying meaning, and it is indeed some kind of eroticart :) but more importantly they all look both gloomy and beautiful...i was also astonished when i saw your sculptures, very detailed like it sprang to life and jumped out of the background piece.

Gatekeeper, Keepsake, painful and scrap are some of my favourites...oh, and are you the slender dead girl...
The lineart is always precise and full of details, like your brain is on full auto knowing exactly where to apply pen pressure :)
what i really like is how you work the stances of your characters, so eerie, or unnerving, but the proportions are good, nothing wrong with the anatomy or anything, and most of the faces are pretty expressive...always in a sad way.
Ever tried drawing girls smiling...draw me a lovely (naked or not) girl for once, i mean that could appeal to Joe as well :)

Anyways, you got a very strong style and soul in your art, and that screaming machine is cool, computerized zombie of sorts !...

I didn't partake in the collab yet, still thinking about it, and i had a more pressing request (to do the band logo of my son's rock band, called fire devils).

Here it is, nothing fancy but i drew it just with Bezier curves only (did use a good ol' mouse for that one, no pen) for a cleaner rendering because it needs to be printed on T-shirts :

-LOL had to look up Bezier curves .... but now I know what you mean :) gives it a nice flow and makes the head specifically readable as a logo .
Reminds me of my head banger days :)
- I noticed other phases of the moon on Pierrot (finger nails ... cheek .... eye ), but I thought the shape on the ear seemed like it might be closest to a quarter moon..... Thant's why I said ear :)
- LOL nope never thin :) never even close .... but I think I drew slender females for a few reasons.
* when I think of a figure I think of it from the inside out. The skeleton then the muscles and skin.... so the figures come off pretty skeletal themselves.
* Most of the figure models I worked with were thin.... My favorite model (Christine) was a swimmer with very little body fat.... it was amazing seeing her body in different poses because the structure of her muscles were really obvious.
* Since part of art is communication I found myself veering away from plump or fat figures because people read into them, assigning narratives I did not intend... in critique, a fat female image brought comments about sloth and greed and repulsion.... I can understand why that would be seen that way so without taking personal offense I became mindful of their reactions and only used fat women when it is important to the theme ... like in a self portrait.

Don"t worry about the timing on the collab ... it is there if you are interested .... and will be a year from now :)
A happy female drawing huh ... not sure about that one, LOL I never plan anything....... things just kind of flow ... and usually my stuff just has a sad tinge to it. ........... but I will keep it in mind.
Joe can happily draw females that he likes himself... :) but he is ok with the sad girls too.

Back