Algol General Discussion/Q&A

I think Algol is a pretty balanced character. He is quite versatile and can do almost anything but he isn't especially amazing at anything either other than his ability to bust out a huge amount of damage at once if he blows all his meter. His main weaknesses are that he is generally very linear and meter dependent. By being linear I mean that his good pokes are all very steppable. You're not really gonna be poking with his anti step moves for the most part.

For people who just straight up lie there and don't roll or anything I think 1K and 22B are pretty good options.

i think algol is not broken at all you can easily block his bubbles and most of his attacks work similar so you can easily block it. Btw algol is 1 of the best characters in my opinion :)

I found out that something with 1B
If you delay 2A+B you get an higher bounce, so what i do to time it perfectly is to do
a quick dash. so 1B CH, dash 2A+B, 66B+K meterless and deal 78dmg and gives you
the opporunity to do the chair loop right after that.

Okay, I'm sure I should know this already, but: chair loop?

The "chair loop" is when you're in a BT state and you can B+K into A+B repeatedly for a decent frame trap. Also A+B~A+B is a frame trap to do if they block ( I think ).

Its decent, although if you mistime it you can get swatted out of the air on teleport, or they can just sit on the ground or sometimes ukemi away. For now though most people tend to just eat it and not know what to do about it.

Speaking of getting hit out of teleport, I tried to teleport behind a Cervy doing his pistol unblockable last night. Even though Cervy didn't change his direction, the shot from the pistol autocorrected and shot out behind him, hitting me as I re-appeared.

Sadly I was on that thin green stage you always fight Mitsu on in Quick Battle, and was knocked back into the water for an epic lolwut fail of the day. So yeah, don't try and dodge Cervantes pistol on small stages with the chair. Bad times.

The "chair loop" is when you're in a BT state and you can B+K into A+B repeatedly for a decent frame trap. Also A+B~A+B is a frame trap to do if they block ( I think ).

Its decent, although if you mistime it you can get swatted out of the air on teleport, or they can just sit on the ground or sometimes ukemi away. For now though most people tend to just eat it and not know what to do about it.

Can somebody post a video of the chair loop in action please?

anything that puts you in BT can be a potential setup fo the "chair loop." I'd like to point out though that the chair loop is not a combo it's a pressure/mixup option

So, I need some help. A lot of time I find myself blocking people's stuff, only to be left without an option to punish.

Usually I just have to throw out a BB, AA or 2A. Which is fairly piddly damage, and then after that, where can you go? Any of you guys have any advice or other options you use when blocking and punishing?

Most of the time I just try to avoid getting into that situation altogether, although online is a never ending stream of xibas, mitsus and leixias who just love to come forward and put that pressure on with their amazing pressing buttons technology (what? me? salty? perish the thought).

4BA is Algol's best block punisher in general. anything -16 or worse that doesn't push you out too far will get punished by it. check the matchup reference guide for some free 4BA vs various characters

'sup, Algol forums. I picked up the hero king earlier this week, having never touched him in IV, and I really like him oddly enough. I even got to level up a couple of B ranks with him (mostly) already, so I'm presently faring as well with him as I am with Patroklos (which is very pleasing).

As for queries, I feel like there are a selection of moves I feel I need to integrate into my game more, and I'm wondering how much players here agree, if at all, hence why I'm noting the moves down on this forum and not on notepad or something.
  • 623B: The guide says it catches all mids and lows, which is pretty darn rad. That'd be an automatic big plus for my defensive play.
  • 6KK: I've recently got to using this as a stab punisher, and already it's been hella useful for just that.
  • WR 8B [BE]: WR KK is my go to low guard punishing tool if I'm not 100% sure that 4BA will land, and this move has more range/damage for the same startup as far as I know.
  • 22_88A: The guide reckons it's 0 on block. Even if that turns out to be a misprint and it's something like 10, I feel like I should be abusing this more.
  • 44B: Knowing that I can score 80+ damage without meter or 110+ with it, I desperately want to find ways of making this land: it pains me to pass up that sort of damage at such a low cost.

I think 44B is a pretty bad move despite the combo potential from it. It is very slow, linear and being restricted to a 44 command sucks. If it was 33B command or something it could have whiff punish applications but as it is there is very little use for the move IMO.

Back