Astaroth Q&A/Discussion Thread

Panther

[09] Warrior
This thread will serve as a discussion for new and old players to ask and answer questions regarding anything about Astaroth gameplay that does not fit into the other main discussion threads.

I understand that it is difficult for newbies to know if a question has been asked before, but I do hope you will do a search first to see if your question has been answered before you ask one, as the thread grows longer. For those familiar with Astaroth gameplay, please be polite and civil in your replies and just try your best to help others.

Tier discussion is strictly off-limits, this is a rule of all SAs, so please keep that out of your questions. Thanks!

got to play a few good while today. Astaroth is lookiing solid so far, but has anyone noticed how suspicious his 4k is in this game? im used to on hit being a free duck throw attempt, but for whatever reason it forces FC on block too so you have to tech a throw either way. me and some friends tested it and found that if we block the 1st 4k and immediately do 2k we beat the low grab attempt BUT if he finishes the string we trade..... and for whatever reason the trade gives Asty a stun into a throw attempt anyways......

any one know a glaring flaw to this move that i am missing?

I'm curious to see if there's any good setups for his CE, I threw it out there like 20 times today and it got ducked everytime

my friend has been playing astaroth pretty heavily , his CE is okay. but anyone with experience will duck it from the visual cue(the white light at his feet). that meter is spent much better on his BE moves like SS b BE ( cant say enough good things about this move). doing command throw B into 22B BE then 66b or a+g air throw (depending on positioning i.e: wall or ring edge near by) is MUCH more reliable and costs half the meter and still silly dmg.

What exactly is the timing on HCB A+G BE and 2+A+G_B+G, BE? I've been mashing A+B+K for the command grab and get it sometimes but I haven't gotten the crouch throw ones at all yet. Is it a JF?

Also, Asta's PT seems pretty good again.

the BE follow ups are timing based.... watch the games example of the BE move and when they flash is when you have to hit a+b+k and yea PT is not too shabby

214aaaaaa
i34
nh:-,-12,-12,-6,-6,-6
block:-14,-22,-22,-16,-16,-16

just a lil preview of the frame data ill be posting tonight =p

What exactly is the timing on HCB A+G BE and 2+A+G_B+G, BE? I've been mashing A+B+K for the command grab and get it sometimes but I haven't gotten the crouch throw ones at all yet. Is it a JF?

For all three, you input A+B+K at about the animation's point of impact.

HCB A+G: Press A+B+K when Astaroth is coming down from the jump, about when the opponent's body hits the ground.

2A+G: Press A+B+K when Astaroth's axe hits the opponent's body for the first time. You can input it a little early.

2B+G: Press A+B+K when the opponent's body hits the ground. Like 2A+G, you can input it a little early.

For all three, you input A+B+K at about the animation's point of impact.

HCB A+G: Press A+B+K when Astaroth is coming down from the jump, about when the opponent's body hits the ground.

2A+G: Press A+B+K when Astaroth's axe hits the opponent's body for the first time. You can input it a little early.

2B+G: Press A+B+K when the opponent's body hits the ground. Like 2A+G, you can input it a little early.

Well, I get the BE for all of these every time by simply mashing A+B+K as soon as the throw animation starts.

Well, I get the BE for all of these every time by simply mashing A+B+K as soon as the throw animation starts.
Lol, exactly what I was going to say. No offense to SC players but SC5 looks like mashing takes the front seat to execution. This ain't no Tekken.

Yes, of course you can mash out A+B+K the entire animation until you see the BE spark. But there is a window and it's approximately where I said. If you want to save some wear and tear on your fingers, just hit A+B+K once or twice within the window instead of mashing it the entire animation. For 2B+G in particular, the window is late in the animation so you'd be doing a whole lot of mashing otherwise.

Lol, exactly what I was going to say. No offense to SC players but SC5 looks like mashing takes the front seat to execution. This ain't no Tekken.

Actually, it's exactly like Tekken in that you can mash out anything that's not JF.

I'm curious to see if there's any good setups for his CE, I threw it out there like 20 times today and it got ducked everytime
I found 2B+K, CE as a nice setup. If they techroll they have to duck as soon as the roll is over or they'll eat it.

It's not easy to land, the strartup is so long, nevertheless a good tool to use against a confused, turtling opponent after some bullrush therapy.

After playing awhile with a friend, we found that bullrush[BE] has special properties on hit...not sure what else to call it. Once you 66k[BE] and the person hits you once the animation has started, astaroth will turn red and continue to[BE] bullrush through the opponent regardless.

Yeah, it's like a super-armor of sorts. It happens with Voldo as well when he does his "COME AND HIT ME" dance and auto evades the first attack you make at him.

-

So Astaroth is very -VERY good this time around. His guard break game is superb, his throws are all still top notch (not to mention that you take damage when you break a throw so there no reason NOT to put people into guaranteed throw attemp situations) and his damage on his normal combos is fan-f**king-tastic.

AHHHHH ASTAROTH, WHY ARE YOU SO GOOD?

Uh, have you played Tekken?

Yes, I've played a little Tekken in my time.

Astaroth's throw BEs are exactly analagous to King's multi-throws in Tekken. You can sit there and mash out the next throw input nonstop, or you can just hit it once during the window. The window is fairly large and you're not locked out for entering it early. Same with Astaroth's BEs.

Yeah, it's like a super-armor of sorts. It happens with Voldo as well when he does his "COME AND HIT ME" dance and auto evades the first attack you make at him.

A familiar face! How's it going, MJ?

66K[BE] also has ground pickup properties that 66K doesn't. For example, you can combo CH 66B, 66K[BE]. If you did the regular bullrush it would whiff. It seems like a way to get some guaranteed damage when you don't want to risk throw mixups. For example, CH 6K, 66K[BE] instead of CH 6K, 1A+G, ...

I gotta agree that Astaroth seems extremely good this time. I feel a little more limited at long range without B, A and [A], [B ], etc, but he's much more viable at close~mid range than before. He's a total beast with his new stuns and guard break game. I've only really played against Xiba and Yoshi with him, but I'm eager to see how he matches up against the other characters.

So far his best wall combos that I found from B+G throw are... (JF and CLEAN hit each adds 10 & 10 damage)

Facing towards the wall - 63214B+G, A+G, 6B, 22K, 22B (meter less)

Facing towards the wall - 63214B+G, A+G, 6B, 22K, 22B~BE, A+G, 1BB, 6K, 44B/1A+G/PT (tech trap) (costs 1/2 meter) (EDIT: 1BB only re-walls if they tried to tech out of 22K, otherwise just skip it)

Facing either side of the wall - 63214B+G, 22B~BE, A+G, 6B, 22K, 22B (costs 1/2 meter)

Facing towards the wall - 63214B+G, 66[K] (tech trap), 22K, 22B~BE, A+G, 6B, 22B (costs 1/2 meter)

Astaroth can still ring out from all 4 sides...

Either of 60% angles from facing towards the ring edge - 63214B+G, A+G (costs no meter)

Facing sideways towards the ring edge - 63214B+G, 22B~BE, A+G (costs 1/2 meter)

Facing away from the ring edge - 63214 A+G~BE (costs 1/2 meter)

2A+G and 2B+G are still the same...

A few more stuff...

4[B ] or PT or 22B are his best guard crush moves... Landing these on block will quickly setup a guard crush...

His best post guard crush combos are 66A[B ] and 6B, 22K, 22B... However, if you can guard crush someone with 4A or something with good recovery then you can do 22B~BE, 28B+G...

CH 6K or CH WR K gives you free 44B... You can tech trap with PT...

After 63214B+G throw you can tech trap with PT or 66[K]... If they stay down you can ff~22K, 22B...

66[K] guarantees 22B or 28B+G... Try going for 28B+G instead cause if you get the JF and CLEAN hit then it'll do a lot of damage... Against the wall 66[K] guarantees 22K, 22B... You can brave 22B~BE to get more damage...

66A,B combos on regular hit... 66A,[B ] combos on counter hit... If you land it near the wall then you can tech trap with 2A/B+G...

For close range, I've been using mostly 6A,A and 6K. Are these the best ones to use or am I on the wrong path?

For close range, I've been using mostly 6A,A and 6K. Are these the best ones to use or am I on the wrong path?
No. 6A is his best close range interrupt. The second hit on CH leads to a crouch grab attempt. However, use it sparingly. The second hit is duckable. 6K is also a great interrupt, and leads to heavy DMG, and has a slight TC. But, it is unsafe. You're on the right path, just be careful with those moves, as they are great but they have their huge weaknesses.

Mastaroth; I merged your posts. No worries now, just next time use the edit button. Thanks.

Srayer you salty dog how are you?

I can't say enough how much I enjoy this game, (specifically the online play as I don't have that many people to play in my immediate area) how're you liking it?

Facing sideways towards the ring edge - 63214B+G, 22B~BE, A+G (costs 1/2 meter)

I'd like to emphasize how very awesome this is.

This means that if you have either side to the edge of the ring all you have to do is land the Command Throw, 88_22 in the direction away from the edge, use half a bar (and look like you know your shit by using a BE -impress the noobs!), grab the opponents bitch ass as they fly up in the air wetting themselves because they know what's coming, and BAM, ring out.

This type of ring control is what makes the world go round people!

Back